Why become a member? ×

I had Sadowsky GAS 😳 (formerly “I’ve got...”)

bassfan

• 3 weeks later...

Nah just post it on here 😉. This after all IS your new Sad bass thread! The rest of us have just been jumping on for the ride and, in my case, only just managed to escape unscathed. 

You do need to change the title thread to "I had..." 😄 

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Nah just post it on here 😉. This after all IS your new Sad bass thread! The rest of us have just been jumping on for the ride and, in my case, only just managed to escape unscathed. 

You do need to change the title thread to "I had..." 😄 

I do!! I’ll change it now 😃😉👍🏻

• Haha 1

I put a fair few basses through my hands, and have had a Sadowsky NYC for the past 10 years. I purchased it whilst on a trip to the U.S. and it cost me €2.500 at the time, as the dollar was on its knees. There was no real GAS involved in its purchase, as  my primary reason for buying it was related to shoulder pain and the  light weight of the NYC. For sure, a very nice bass and have gigged it regularly. But OMG a similarly specced Sadowsky NYC nowadadays on this side of the pond, would come in at over €6000!. Give me a break. IMO never worth that outlay on any day. I had the pleasure of trying out a couple of cheaper than chips Sire basses recently and was blown away with the fit, finish, eq, but not the weight. Otherwise I would be more than happy to gig one on any day and could have a dozen of them for €6000

I was going through the basses I have owned in my mind and the standout bass was a Jaydee Roadie II active I purchased new in 1985. What a beauty. Always regretted moving it on but a really well crafted instrument and  In this respect, more interesting than  the Sadowsky IMO, together with being a more unique design. Looking back it was on the heavy side, which probably led to me retiring that bass.

I recently had a look at the Jaydee site and he still makes them. But I am amazed to learn that A Roadie II active would set me back €1650, nearly a quarter the price of a Sadowsky NYC!

I wonder is their much GAS on here for a Jaydee roadie active II?. They are terrific instruments but due to their price, do not have the snob value that quite likely adds to the Sadowsky GAS. 

Edited by leroydiamond

1 hour ago, leroydiamond said:

I put a fair few basses through my hands, and have had a Sadowsky NYC for the past 10 years. I purchased it whilst on a trip to the U.S. and it cost me €2.500 at the time, as the dollar was on its knees. There was no real GAS involved in its purchase, as  my primary reason for buying it was related to shoulder pain and the  light weight of the NYC. For sure, a very nice bass and have gigged it regularly. But OMG a similarly specced Sadowsky NYC nowadadays on this side of the pond, would come in at over €6000!. Give me a break. IMO never worth that outlay on any day. I had the pleasure of trying out a couple of cheaper than chips Sire basses recently and was blown away with the fit, finish, eq, but not the weight. Otherwise I would be more than happy to gig one on any day and could have a dozen of them for €6000

I was going through the basses I have owned in my mind and the standout bass was a Jaydee Roadie II active I purchased new in 1985. What a beauty. Always regretted moving it on but a really well crafted instrument and  In this respect, more interesting than  the Sadowsky IMO, together with being a more unique design. Looking back it was on the heavy side, which probably led to me retiring that bass.

I recently had a look at the Jaydee site and he still makes them. But I am amazed to learn that A Roadie II active would set me back €1650, nearly a quarter the price of a Sadowsky NYC!

I wonder is their much GAS on here for a Jaydee roadie active II?. They are terrific instruments but due to their price, do not have the snob value that quite likely adds to the Sadowsky GAS. 

I think we’ve got a UK specific problem here.

Typically the US has a culture I think of more small scale manufacturing And also a real positive nature to how they speak about things. They tend to be good at promotion.
In the UK we are more used to larger scale production and also can tend towards being negative and moaning. 

So some now producer starts making a bass or cab - in the US there starts being a load of Talkbass buzz and the snowball effect means that there’s enough sales to sustain and let the producer learn and refine. The buzz grows and soon we are importing them over here and raving about them on basschat.

here we tend to be more negative and less forgiving about our producers, one bad experience gets spread over basschat for years, constant moaning about handles Etc and we don’t See us in having a role in supporting and encouraging smaller scale Producers in the same way. 
on price alone I doubt there’s much difference between a £6k Sadowsky and an Overwater costing half that amount. We import boutique pickups or strings from the US despite us having exceptional pickup And string makers here. 
and so on. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I think we’ve got a UK specific problem here.

Typically the US has a culture I think of more small scale manufacturing And also a real positive nature to how they speak about things. They tend to be good at promotion.
In the UK we are more used to larger scale production and also can tend towards being negative and moaning. 

So some now producer starts making a bass or cab - in the US there starts being a load of Talkbass buzz and the snowball effect means that there’s enough sales to sustain and let the producer learn and refine. The buzz grows and soon we are importing them over here and raving about them on basschat.

here we tend to be more negative and less forgiving about our producers, one bad experience gets spread over basschat for years, constant moaning about handles Etc and we don’t See us in having a role in supporting and encouraging smaller scale Producers in the same way. 
on price alone I doubt there’s much difference between a £6k Sadowsky and an Overwater costing half that amount. We import boutique pickups or strings from the US despite us having exceptional pickup And string makers here. 
and so on. 

An interesting point of view. I am sure there are numerous luthiers in the UK who could build a bass for a fraction of the cost of a Sadowsky and would be happy to tweak it to the exact needs of the customer ( an option that is not available from Sadowsky). Guess for many, if it does not have Sadowsky on the headstock.  Then it can only be so so.

Edited by leroydiamond