Why become a member? ×

I had Sadowsky GAS 😳 (formerly “I’ve got...”)

bassfan

1 minute ago, leroydiamond said:

I play a Sadowsky NYC jazz, that I purchaesd in the U.S. some yrars ago when the dollar was alot weaker than it is now

A couple of years back, my guitar playing brother purchased a Sire V7 to use in his home studio. I called by one evening and had a play on his cheap as chips Sire. An incredible bass for the money.  The fit/ finish was excellent and the pre amp superb. I actually preferred the neck radius over the Sadowsky The only major draw back was the weight. Other than that, I would have had no issues with gigging the Sire.

Interesting point on the Sire weight. My sense is that the v1s were a touch heavier and the v2's seem to have addressed this. My P7 v2 is 4.4kg / 9.7 lbs which is very comfortable.

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting point on the Sire weight. My sense is that the v1s were a touch heavier and the v2's seem to have addressed this. My P7 v2 is 4.4kg / 9.7 lbs which is very comfortable.

My Sadowsky is just over 7lbs and that is significant to me, due to shoulder issues. My previous bass was a Fender Jazz coming in at just over 9lbs, but too heavy for me.

13 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

My Sadowsky is just over 7lbs and that is significant to me, due to shoulder issues. My previous bass was a Fender Jazz coming in at just over 9lbs, but too heavy for me.

That is wonderfully light! A key benefit from a chambered body.

35 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Blimey that's cheap (for a Sadowsky)!!

These are the new Chinese ones.

Mildly improved logo from the terrible one previewed.

sadowsky “style” pickups No VTC/Sadowsky Pre.

there’s probably a definitive list somewhere.

It’s probably a very nice bass for £800.

Id be happy to do a comparison. 

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So basically it's Sire without the knobs, right? 😁

I’d say so. Tough gig. Hopefully they’ll catch a bit of the magic. Will see - if Warwick can manage to make the Metroline as well as the Japanese facility and make the necks feel just like the Japanese ones...fair enough.

8 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

These are the new Chinese ones.

Mildly improved logo from the terrible one previewed.

sadowsky “style” pickups No VTC/Sadowsky Pre.

there’s probably a definitive list somewhere.

Id be happy to do a comparison. 

I was looking at them and thinking that if they are any good the first batch is likely going to have the highest QC on them

30 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I’d say so. Tough gig. Hopefully they’ll catch a bit of the magic. Will see - if Warwick can manage to make the Metroline as well as the Japanese facility and make the necks feel just like the Japanese ones...fair enough.

If you haven't got Sad pups or Sad preamp or Sad finishing. Well that bass is just going to be a bit...sad.

But it's going to be hard to describe it as a Sad. 

And there's gotta be a risk to the brand if folk start saying "well I bought a Sadowsky and frankly it was a bit meh." No point telling them its not a real Sadowsky, they'll just say "that was the name on the tin."

Edited by Al Krow

With the growing reputation of Sire, the new Metro Express is going to struggle I reckon. If Sire would sort out that overly, IMO, complicated control plate and put some better looking knobs on it too, it could be curtains for the ME line.

17 minutes ago, ezbass said:

With the growing reputation of Sire, the new Metro Express is going to struggle I reckon. If Sire would sort out that overly, IMO, complicated control plate and put some better looking knobs on it too, it could be curtains for the ME line.

The “masterbuilt” range doesn’t bowl me over...well, this one...

49199260-B324-4BF5-9ED2-20EE48461675.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

True. It might be a good bass for £800, but that's not the point of a Sadowsky bass.

The only thing on it in common with the previous basses is the name. We'll have to see if is it up to the Sadowsky standard.

31 minutes ago, chris_b said:

True. It might be a good bass for £800, but that's not the point of a Sadowsky bass.

The only thing on it in common with the previous basses is the name. We'll have to see if is it up to the Sadowsky standard.

Given that several folk have already commented on this thread how well basses such as the £500 Sire stand up in comparison to the £2,000+ Sads, with the Sad edging it primarily on the pups / electronics but which are lacking in this budget offering, I would be gobsmacked if this Metro Express does anything other than dilute the brand.

If it does in fact come out well in comparison then why the heck would you pay 3 to 4 times as much for the NYC? 

Sounds like a lose-lose strategy to me. Bit like a Porsche deciding it wants to get into 1.5 litre family saloons.