Why become a member? ×

I had Sadowsky GAS 😳 (formerly “I’ve got...”)

bassfan

Help! 

I’ve had a hankering for a Sadowsky for years on and off and it’s getting worse.  

I cant find too many posts on here about them, but I’d like your opinions. I know a few of you guys really rate them... I have a jazz already and I’m looking for a PJ. Should I be looking for an NYC over a metro? Would I really be able to tell the difference.... 

come talk to me... and of course feel free to add your pictures ...it won’t help my GAS but I can look! 😃

Edited by bassfan

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Just get one. The Metro's are as good as the NYC's, just a bit heavier, because they aren't chambered. You won't play a better sounding bass.

Horses for courses really. I’ve never played one that I’ve thought was anything special. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 4000 said:

Horses for courses really. I’ve never played one that I’ve thought was anything special. 

This is the thing with Sadowskys. They only come into their element when playing with a band and they cut through the mix unlike anything else. Not one for the bedroom bassist but are loved by working ones.

• Like 3

I own an NYC and a Metro. I have owned the Metro for ten years and the NYC for three. The Metro is still my 'go-to' gigging bass. Not everybody will enjoy the boost only, two band eq, but I think that they are tremendous basses (well, obviously, I bought two).

In terms of general fit and finish the basses are pretty much identical. So if you play a Metro and don't particularly like it, then I wouldn't really recommend ordering an NYC and expecting anything radically different from the Metro. The preamp and pickups are generally the same (Sadowsky humcancelling pickups which I think are custom made for Sadowsky by Seymour Duncan). The humcancelling pickups are also stock on most NYCs, though some NYCs feature Sadowsky single coils or other pickups (Nordstrand I think) depending on the specific order that was made for that bass. 

The Metros tend to be heavier (chambered v non-chambered) and colours and options on the Metros are limited in comparison to NYC basses. Most Metros don't weigh more than 9lbs though so they are still pretty manageable. I have heard that the carve of the neck on the Metros is slightly different (slightly chunkier) but in hand I can't say that I notice any difference. The UV70 Metros are also the only Sadowsky basses which feature blocks and binding (NYCs don't). The Metros only feature chrome hardware, you can get gold or black hardware on the NYC. 

The Metros also feature very plain fingerboards, especially ones with maple fingerboards. The NYCs will generally feature fingerboards that either have a bit more figuring or have a vintage tint. The NYCs can also have fancy figured/flamed tops depending on the order. Some NYCs can look very plain as well though. 

Obviously, I would say try before you buy. I would also recommend that you try some other equivalent 'super jazzes' to compare to the Metro. A Fender American Elite, a Sandberg would be good comparisons to start with, but Mayones, Xotic and Lakland would be worth a look too.

• Like 6

Cheers guys.  I’m not sure the weight is an issue for me at the minute. The basses coming into their own in a band situation is definitely a comment that’s I’ve heard before... and we are gigging a lot 😃👍🏻

@thodrik let’s see some pics of yours if you have any you don’t mind sharing. The downside of the try before you buy scenario (which I very much agree with) is find one in a shop that’s accessible.. 😂

27 minutes ago, bassfan said:

Cheers guys.  I’m not sure the weight is an issue for me at the minute. The basses coming into their own in a band situation is definitely a comment that’s I’ve heard before... and we are gigging a lot 😃👍🏻

@thodrik let’s see some pics of yours if you have any you don’t mind sharing. The downside of the try before you buy scenario (which I very much agree with) is find one in a shop that’s accessible.. 😂

If you are in Essex, you are really not too far away from the Bass Gallery (which usually stocks Metros and the odd NYC), as well as the Bass Gallery in Warwick and Guitar Guitar in Epsom (which should stock a mixture of Metros, NYC Satins and even a Metro Express). It might be a couple of hours travel, but if you are looking to spend £2500 plus on a bass it might be worth it. I appreciate it though that the personal circumstances of different people can make travel of even short distances difficult. 

Here is a two year old photo of the NYC, the Metro and my old S9 Fender Precision. Not great quality for detail but you can certainly see the extra flame on the NYC. 

I have also attached the 'as new' photo of my NYC from when it was originally sold by Sadowsky (not to me). I don't have an equivalent of the Metro, but frankly it is indistinguishable from every other Sadowsky Metro MV4 in 59 burst. The NYCs are generally more unique looking. The best place to see the differences between the Metro, NYC and Metro Express models is the 'recently sold' section of the Sadowsky website. 

Also, you might notice that the Metro is a four string and the NYC is a five string, yet my previous post stated that I didn't notice an 'in hand' difference in terms of the neck carve of an NYC and a Metro. Obviously I have played five string Metros and 4 string NYCs and my comment is in relation to that. Obviously I can tell that a five string neck feels different to a four string!

1420264692_Fenderybasses.thumb.jpg.09bd2493b39c54612ee32ce8ed9cfe2e.jpg1027002293_Eoinsbass(whennew!).thumb.jpg.b6e6e9e04d7a05e618d35ae0e88bdcaa.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

This is the thing with Sadowskys. They only come into their element when playing with a band and they cut through the mix unlike anything else. Not one for the bedroom bassist but are loved by working ones.

Apologies - but I really don't understand that comment! Why would a bass be crap 'in the bedroom' and only come into its own when playing with a band? Surely a decent bass should be capable of sounding good in both situations? The only way to make sense of that is if it was (overly) mids-heavy and I struggle to believe that would be the case with something that has the reputation for quality that a Sadowsky does?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Apologies - but I really don't understand that comment! Why would a bass be crap 'in the bedroom' and only come into its own when playing with a band?

I've heard this comment in relation to Precision basses, but so far, not about Sadowsky Jazz basses.

The tone of my Metro does change gear when the volume comes up. Maybe that's what we're talking about. Go louder and the sound, the clarity, the low end just keeps getting better. What ever Sadowsky did with that pre-amp they got it just right.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, chris_b said:

The tone of my Metro does change gear when the volume comes up. Maybe that's what we're talking about. Go louder and the sound, the clarity, the low end just keeps getting better. What ever Sadowsky did with that pre-amp they got it just right.

It's obviously not uncommon that changing the volume setting on the bass itself has an impact on bass tone and e.g. a number of Yamaha BB players will have the bass volume knob set on max as the default as this gives them their preferred volume knob setting for 'base' tone.

But are you saying that if you set your volume at max on your Metro, you find the tone changes as you increase the volume on your amp? I would have simply have expected it to just sound louder.

Edited by Al Krow

Sometimes gear just sounds ‘better’ in context. The classic tale of a bedroom bass sound not cutting it live once it’s in context - the classic, pleasing to the ear smile eq might be great at home but not so suitable with a band, some amp/cab combinations just sound better the louder they’re pushed. Not all gear but often some amps/cabs just needs to be running at a bit of volume to really come into their own. I know running my amp into a 600w cab with the amp barely at bedroom/neighbour friendly volume does not sound as good as that cab running up at stage volumes but my wee 100w practice amp sounds better for home use and just struggled once it’s up to its limit. 

36 minutes ago, krispn said:

Sometimes gear just sounds ‘better’ in context. The classic tale of a bedroom bass sound not cutting it live once it’s in context - the classic, pleasing to the ear smile eq might be great at home but not so suitable with a band, some amp/cab combinations just sound better the louder they’re pushed. Not all gear but often some amps/cabs just needs to be running at a bit of volume to really come into their own. I know running my amp into a 600w cab with the amp barely at bedroom/neighbour friendly volume does not sound as good as that cab running up at stage volumes but my wee 100w practice amp sounds better for home use and just struggled once it’s up to its limit. 

I get all that.

I just don't buy that a quality bass is only going to sound good loud.

Or put it another way, I certainly wouldn't buy a quality bass that only sounded good loud! 

Edited by Al Krow

I ordered a Metro direct from Sadowsky. It was an MV5. It was ok. Didnt blow me away. The tone was amazing mind.  The bass itself wasnt anything amazing. Ive ordered Sire 5 string jazz basses that were as impressive. TTS with a rosewood board. Well built. I would rather put my money down on a Lakland Skyline. Way way cheaper and just as good. USA electronics, fantastic build quality. This everytime.!!! 

Body-Front_9fff1285-1104-440b-b601-9faf4ad6b084.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, krispn said:

Just his take on it. He never said it was crap just it sounded better to him louder with the band. Maybe his home rig just doesn’t sound as good as his live rig? 

You are being entirely reasonable, as always. But tbf what he actually said was that [Sads are] "Not one for the bedroom bassist..."

I take that to mean he thinks Sads are not a suitable bass if you're not in a band and just want to play it at home. I just find that hard to believe. 

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, krispn said:

Just his take on it. He never said it was crap just it sounded better to him louder with the band. Maybe his home rig just doesn’t sound as good as his live rig? 

Just reading through this and that post gave me the impression he was talking about in general, not just a personal thing. 

Its a strange comment to make without more info. Talking about P, PJ, Jazz, all fo them etc?. Very open to interpretation. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You are being entirely reasonable, as always. But tbf what he actually said was that [Sads are] "Not one for the bedroom bassist..."

I take that to mean he thinks Sads are not a suitable bass if you're not in a band and just want to play it at home. I just find that hard to believe. 

I think your problem is in the "I take that to mean. . . . . " bit.

Don't to read into these posts stuff that isn't there.

4 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Just reading through this and that post gave me the impression he was talking about in general, not just a personal thing. 

Its a strange comment to make without more info. Talking about P, PJ, Jazz, all fo them etc?. Very open to interpretation. 

OK

Depends what you want. My Sadowsky isn't a 'traditional' one but it's still awesome: 

USA Custom Guitars two piece full size alder body
USA Custom Guitars maple neck
Brazilian rosewood fingerboard 
Fretwork by Mike Lull
Sadowsky single coil pick-ups
Passive Volume/Volume/Tone controls                       Gotoh 201 bridge

Weighs around 10lbs so not lightweight! 

Edited by Jazzmaster62

There are a lot of splits in our little world of electric bass. Fender aesthetic/non Fender aesthetic; active/passive; handmade/CNC etc... One of the big ones is; built to a price point / not built to a price point. With Sadowsky falling into the later category, it’s fair to assume they are a step up from anything in the former. Whether they are better than anything else in this category (Wal, Fodera, F Bass, Alembic, MTD et al.) is purely subjective personal preference.

Edited by CamdenRob
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

I’ll ignore the implication that I’m a bedroom bassist (been gigging for nigh on 40 years). I’ll admit I’ve never gigged one, but then as I don’t like the sound they produce I’m unlikely to. And I’ve never heard one played by a “working” player and thought “yep, that sounds great”. Just not my thing. It may come as a surprise that other “working” bassists don’t necessarily share your taste. Of course if they did, everyone would be playing Sadowskys, and they quite evidently aren’t. 

Edited by 4000

1 minute ago, 4000 said:

I’ll ignore the implication that I’m a bedroom bassist (been gigging for nigh on 40 years). I’ll admit I’ve never gigged one, but then as I don’t like the sound they produce I’m unlikely to. And I’ve never heard one played by a “working” player and thought “yep, that sounds great”. Just not my thing. 

I love the bass tone Hugh McDonald gets with Bon Jovi. I think this was my first experience in hearing a Sadowsky (i even started a thread about it a (good) few years ago. Must admit I wouldn’t know what one sounds like compared to a similar bass though. 

I had the very same GAS for a Sadowsky until March this year, when I pulled the trigger and bought a Satin Deluxe 5 from Bass Direct. I'm so glad I did and I just love it. It's prompted me to sell my beloved Fodera (check the basses for sale section) and I've barely played my Fenders since. Mines a NYC model so has a chambered body - love the weight reduction and, IMO, it adds to the tone. And it does cut through in a band situation, more so than any of my other basses. I play in a 'pop' orchestra (a la London Grammar), a rock/funk originals band, a function band and I dep for a few other acts locally and I've had comments on its' tone from each one - more so than I ever had on any other bass, even the Fodera.

As always, it's just my opinion based on my own experience, but I say if you've got the money and the GAS then go for it - life's too short. Worst case, it's not for you and you move it on - at least you've scratched the itch!

Pic below!

IMG_2036.JPG

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 4