Why become a member? ×

Right hand technique - cramp

Peter Michael

Hello Basschatters,

I would like to ask for some advice please.

When playing pizz at a reasonably fast tempo for me, I guess about 140bpm plus, I get cramp in right hand. It usually starts after a few songs, and hits about a minute into any song. At the same time my hand tries to make itself into a sort of claw shape. 

Once cramps start I find  it is hard to make a nice note, or a note at all even.

I have cramps generally, so it may just be me, but I wondered if there is any technique, practise or tricks that might help .

I have attached a vid of my right hand so you can see my technique, what there is of it. Apologies for lapses of tempo and intonation towards the end.

Any advice would help a lot.

Thanks

Peter

20 minutes ago, tinyd said:

It looks to me like you're doing too much of the pulling with your fingers, whereas you should be using more of your whole arm.

Geoff Chalmers does a far better job of explaining than I ever could:

This! You cannot keep up with just fingers, too much strain and you muscles will cramp up.

Spread the load between first and second finger ( ie use both and alternate a bit .. hard to explain) else you're using the same muscle and tendon the whole time, use whole lower arm not just fingers.  Do stretches on fingers of right hand.  Soak right hand in hot water before and after practice.  Some famous violinist (Oisterach?) said 10 minutes with your hand in hot water is worth an hour of practice.

I had some physio for similar and it got better with the stretches and hotcwater ...though in my case it wasn't the bass playing that caused it but typing / mousing wrong.  Bass playing just used an already strained tendon.  One thing the physio said was DON'T stop playing, keep at it and do the stretches too.