Why become a member? ×

Where to get a Mustang Bass Neck?

Dosi Y'Anarchy

Hi everyone, 

I just got myself a steal on a Fender PJ Mustang bass body, fully loaded with an upgraded switch. The problem is, now i need a neck!

Google, ebay and Reverb dont seem to have any options in the UK.

I've got a modified Bronco, and the neck does fit (kinda, needs some force and needs redrilling to realign the holes) but I like the bronco as-is and ideally want to keep it in tact. 

I've thought about buying one of the cheap squier SS basses, like another bronco or jag and taking the neck, as these can be had for well under £200 but ideally i'd want a Fender neck on it. 

Any ideas?

As Cato mentioned there are usually a few on US ebay, but they are not cheap, through no genuine Fender necks ever are. Most on ebay will be new, from parted out instruments, often from 'Stratosphere'.

Sometimes an cheaper Squier Mustang neck will crop up and some of them are really very good for the money. I bought a parted out (If I remember correctly,made in Indonesia?) six string Mustang neck, for a replacement job and it was beautifully made from nice pieces of maple and rosewood and finished with an excellent fret job and nicely rolled fretboard edges, I really couldn't fault it. 

I don't know if 'Allparts' do a short scale replacement neck, they might be worth a try, they do a quality product and are Fender licenced. They'll be a bit cheaper than genuine Fender, but will be unfinished.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions! Yep seen a few on eBay from the States and I'm tempted to get the JMJ neck but for what it'll cost, I could just buy a used pj.

allparts don't seem to stock them.

I'm happy to play the waiting game with eBay as this one is gonna be a fun project

7 minutes ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

Thanks for the suggestions! Yep seen a few on eBay from the States and I'm tempted to get the JMJ neck but for what it'll cost, I could just buy a used pj.

allparts don't seem to stock them.

I'm happy to play the waiting game with eBay as this one is gonna be a fun project

I bought a Badtz-Maru that was based off a Bronco I believe.  The machines were terrible so I decided to enlarge the holes for better tuners.  Catastrophic headstock failure.  I looked for necks for a while. 

Bought a 70s one from the US; it looked great, but (unbeknownst to me until arrival) had a terrible front bow and the truss rod was maxxed out.  The body sat in a box in the spare room for ages (two or three years) until I finally got a Squier neck from the Stratosphere.  Back then, they just didn't come up anywhere.

• Like 1

On 04/08/2019 at 11:39, John Cribbin said:

Just remember if you import from outside the EU, anything over the value of £39 is subject to VAT. You may also find, depending on value Customs Duty added. Then the Post office will add a charge for calculating the previous charges. Ask me how I found this out ....

I dont need to ask! I just royally screwed by buying two pedals from the states, paying for shipping and THEN receiving an invoice for £90! thats what's putting me off ordering from The Stratosphere. There's a beautiful JMJ Neck on there but if im looking at £400 all in, then i feel like its not a sound venture.

Hmmmm

what a bummer - that’s 12mm - who does that!!!

I am sure there will be some out there that have 12mm bushings, can’t thinknof any off the top of my head)  but really this has been getting on my wick for a while

Why not Make Standard hole sizes, bridge screw number sizes etc. Across all manufacturers. Yes there will be a backlog of parts - but come on it’s not that hard surely?!

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

PMT's website shows they have a silver one in stock for £199. 

I'm really tempted, just don't have any money at the moment

Ah cool. That one has a Laurel fingerboard and I wonder if they stopped making the rosewood ones and have replaced them with these?

You're probably right, many makers are using alternatives to rosewood due to CITES restrictions. There's lots of Wenge and other mid to dark coloured hardwoods being used now. Synthetic Rosewood will become more common too I expect. I noticed the other day that new production Eden necks have synthetic fretboards, apart from the ones with maple boards.

• 4 weeks later...