Why become a member? ×

Are we all mad?

JPJ

Just now, skankdelvar said:

If not mad then considerably miffed.

Not surprising. It looks like the woman on the Boots make up counter got the skin tone completely wrong. He needed No 7 ‘Sesame’ not Pale bleedin’ Ivory....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skinnyman said:

Not surprising. It looks like the woman on the Boots make up counter got the skin tone completely wrong. He needed No 7 ‘Sesame’ not Pale bleedin’ Ivory....

Is that where the derogatory term 'war paint' comes from? ... of course it does. How could I be stupid enough to ask that... unless I'm mad of course.

• Haha 2

I know it will go against the grain, but I read another interesting thread - I think it was on a guitar forum though - which observed that there's far more threads about gear itself - guitars, amps, effects, selling/buying etc than using that gear either gigging or technique or theory. That forum was probably more skewed than this one but its worth mentioning. 

I'm probably the exception - I really don't buy that much, or often - but as an estimate, I probably buy something every 3 months, but actually play at least every other day. So that's 50x the time spent. Of course, not every day playing is noteworthy......but hopefully you get the point.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Is that where the derogatory term 'war paint' comes from? ... of course it does. How could I be stupid enough to ask that... unless I'm mad of course.

Asinine Hep Cat?

I’m guessing that’s an anagram?

• Like 1

On 02/08/2019 at 01:10, paul_c2 said:

I know it will go against the grain, but I read another interesting thread - I think it was on a guitar forum though - which observed that there's far more threads about gear itself - guitars, amps, effects, selling/buying etc than using that gear either gigging or technique or theory. That forum was probably more skewed than this one but its worth mentioning. 

I'm probably the exception - I really don't buy that much, or often - but as an estimate, I probably buy something every 3 months, but actually play at least every other day. So that's 50x the time spent. Of course, not every day playing is noteworthy......but hopefully you get the point.

On 02/08/2019 at 01:16, Ricky 4000 said:

Absolutely, the technique section is like a barren wasteland... so is the recording section.

On 02/08/2019 at 02:24, miles'tone said:

The glaring truth.. 

Good timing for that observation, if y’all head on over to the recording section , the August composition challenge has just started.

Now don’t be shy , you only have to listen to a few of mine to realise it is the taking part that counts, but it really is a great way open the creative musical muscles 

everyone’s welcome B|

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 08/02/2019 at 01:16, Ricky 4000 said:

Absolutely, the technique section is like a barren wasteland... so is the recording section.

There's a 'technique' section & a 'recording' section?!? :o

Who knew!

I shall head there immediately & buy me some of this mysterious 'technique' :D

• Haha 2

On 01/08/2019 at 21:07, JPJ said:

Just a thought, but I wonder what the total asking price of gear for sale on here is at any given time. For example, at 9pm tonight (1st of August 2019) the total asking price value of basses for sale on page 1 of the ‘basses for sale’ forum totalled £38,000 and included some real high end exotic basses. 

I believe that accepted logic is a preowned bass sells for around 2/3 of original purchase price (subject to condition of course) so just how much money are we ‘wasting’ in depreciation in pursuit of our hobby? 

Please note: if anyone has the answer to this question, please do not share the results with my wife 😂

Prices are going up. With £38,000 you can only afford three Fender Custom Shop Phil Lynott Precision basses. 

On 01/08/2019 at 21:07, JPJ said:

Just a thought, but I wonder what the total asking price of gear for sale on here is at any given time. For example, at 9pm tonight (1st of August 2019) the total asking price value of basses for sale on page 1 of the ‘basses for sale’ forum totalled £38,000 and included some real high end exotic basses. 

I believe that accepted logic is a preowned bass sells for around 2/3 of original purchase price (subject to condition of course) so just how much money are we ‘wasting’ in depreciation in pursuit of our hobby? 

Please note: if anyone has the answer to this question, please do not share the results with my wife 😂

People don't know what they want so they keep buying and selling. I've had one bass for close to twenty years and haven't bought another one since buying it .

16 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Don't you start.

I'm trying to stick some 12V rope lights under ma' kitchen cupboards - and the buggers keep peeling back off!

😬

Try hook & loop tape - same as on your pedal-board  👍

... or 6" nails ;)