Why become a member? ×

Are we all mad?

JPJ

Just a thought, but I wonder what the total asking price of gear for sale on here is at any given time. For example, at 9pm tonight (1st of August 2019) the total asking price value of basses for sale on page 1 of the ‘basses for sale’ forum totalled £38,000 and included some real high end exotic basses. 

I believe that accepted logic is a preowned bass sells for around 2/3 of original purchase price (subject to condition of course) so just how much money are we ‘wasting’ in depreciation in pursuit of our hobby? 

Please note: if anyone has the answer to this question, please do not share the results with my wife 😂

• Haha 5

Not just over high end stuff. Bought a streamer - neck was knackered. £300. Bought a second Streamer (Standard non active) to salvage the neck for the streamer LX - truss rod was shot on that one too. £270 more.Bought two factory second spector necks spector necks.. Bought replacement truss rod, clamps, just-a-nut III and MEC active circuitand replaced the truss rod in one salvageble warwick neck - about £100. Even my good friend and seasoned bass tech/bassist extrordinaire Chris Dale told me he would have burnt the ruddy thing. Could have bought a brand new one for what I spent. And what would they be worth if I sold them now?

32 minutes ago, grandad said:

I admitted to the purchase of a 2nd hand cab today. I received a tut and a raising of eyebrows accompanied by a head-shake.

In our house that is the equivalent to acceptance😀

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

I guess people who love cars or art are more mad then we are

Exactly.

I dare not even start to calculate the amount of money I've blown on cars over the years. I suspect i could have retired ten years earlier....

19 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Or in Welsh: 'As mad as ten bears'. 👍

I didn't know that Chief Ten Bears out of the motion picture The Outlaw Josey Wales was Welsh. I did - however - think that Josey Wales was Welsh, because obvs.

How odd that two characters in a Western movie would both be Welsh.

tenbearsjoseywales.jpg

Bears, Wales, Wales, Bears*

* Copyright: The Estate of the late Mr Tommy Cooper

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

I didn't know that Chief Ten Bears out of the motion picture The Outlaw Josey Wales was Welsh. I did - however - think that Josey Wales was Welsh, because obvs.

How odd that two characters in a Western movie would both be Welsh.

tenbearsjoseywales.jpg

Bears, Wales, Wales, Bears*

* Copyright: The Estate of the late Mr Tommy Cooper

A "rarebit" of casting?

Hmm?

Geddit?

Huh?

I'll get me coat....

• Haha 2