Why become a member? ×

Reverb asks for photo ID?

I´ve used reverb a few times to sell some stuff, and it feels reliable to me. I had a few questions when I was new and about to make my first sale, and I have experienced that their customer support is well reachable and actually willing to help you. It is very personal compared to eBay. Apparently ID is needed when sales reach a certain ammount, as I found out through some google searching. I provided them, as I needed to do that for payout...

I dont mind the selling fees that much, as I still got a better price for some stuff than I could get through other platforms.

On 01/08/2019 at 17:16, SurroundedByManatees said:

Just got a message from reverb that they need a image of my photo ID for verification

How do they know it's you? Send a photo of somebody else....no idea who the CEO of Reverb is but he would be my choice.

Bet they don't spot it.

It's called a KYC (know your customer) check and it's all perfectly above board. It's part of government money laundering regulations to help prove you are who you say you are.  Anyone who's ever used an online bookmaker will be more than familiar with it. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

• 2 years later...

I'm having a fight with them just now, after selling a few things with them, they suddenly demanded this - after the sampler was sent! I think this is legally dubious - supposedly to protect from fraud, but if they're refusing to release my money because I have no photo ID, that's surely fraud/theft

I don't understand the trepidation behind not wanting to give a picture of yourself to a company like Reverb when 99% of the population plaster the interweb with pictures of themselves through social media. If you're one of those that swerve social media (such as myself!) then fair enough, but there still probably hundreds of sites out there that still have information on you, these days it's almost entirely impossible to avoid unless you live in a cave.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dizzywood said:

I'm having a fight with them just now, after selling a few things with them, they suddenly demanded this - after the sampler was sent! I think this is legally dubious - supposedly to protect from fraud, but if they're refusing to release my money because I have no photo ID, that's surely fraud/theft

No it's really not. They're not refusing to release your money. They're asking you to prove that you are who you say you are before they release the money. That's a massive difference. It's absolutely standard practice, and in fact, the law, which companies have to abide by. I've done it hundreds of times without a single issue. I've even been asked by some companies to send a "selfie" holding my passport up next to my face to prove that I am the authorised passport holder, and but just trying to pull a scam with stolen I.D. 

I'd be far more worried if companies weren't making these checks. 

It's called a KYC (know your costumer). It's 100% legit and totally standard practice. Plenty of information online. 

https://bis.lexisnexis.co.uk/due-diligence-and-compliance/glossary/kyc-check

• Like 1

On 28/08/2021 at 13:36, Tee said:

'Know your customer' is probably the abridged version of 'know your customer and whoops there was a data leak and all your data has been stolen and sold on the dark web'.

Always a possibility. Although a minutely small one.

If someone steals your ID, guess what stops them using it online?

Yup, you guessed it. KYC checks. 

Unless you're going to live your whole life offline, only spend cash, stash money under your mattress, and never buy things or book things on the net. Then it's a risk you have to take. 

I don't like doing the checks any more than anybody else. But it's the way of the world. If you want to do any kind of business online, then there's absolutely no point moaning about it. Just get it done. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 2

I've used Reverb for years and always had excellent customer service from them. I recently had to upload photo ID too but no qualms with this. You also have to prove to Reverb that you are the account holder of the bank account linked to your Reverb account. Given this is where the cash from the sales you make on Reverb ends up, it seems completely fair and logical that Reverb need this info. 

Pretty sure this will only become more commonplace in the not too distant future...

• Like 1

On 28/08/2021 at 11:10, Newfoundfreedom said:

No it's really not. They're not refusing to release your money. They're asking you to prove that you are who you say you are before they release the money. That's a massive difference. It's absolutely standard practice, and in fact, the law, which companies have to abide by. I've done it hundreds of times without a single issue. I've even been asked by some companies to send a "selfie" holding my passport up next to my face to prove that I am the authorised passport holder, and but just trying to pull a scam with stolen I.D. 

I'd be far more worried if companies weren't making these checks. 

It's called a KYC (know your costumer). It's 100% legit and totally standard practice. Plenty of information online. 

https://bis.lexisnexis.co.uk/due-diligence-and-compliance/glossary/kyc-check

I agree, it does seem like a KYC process. 

If the company are moving money around, they'll be required to ensure that the recipient isn't subject to sanctions and to minimise the risk of money laundering. If you're being asked to provide an ID document, it'll likely be paired with a selfie and include a liveliness check (to prevent you just taking a photo of a photo).

I doubt that the company want to do this - it costs them money to do each check, plus the effort to develop this solution. However, they've probably deemed it necessary to remain compliant from regulatory perspective. I suspect any effort to get them to release money without doing this is going to be like banging your head against a brick wall.

8 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

A NZ bank ( not many of those as they are mainly foreign owned ) just got fined heavily for failing to comply with the anti money laundering provisions. I guess the fact that in the interim they had become compliant might have saved them from being assimilated.

My sis in NZ tells me it was the Trustees Savings Bank and yes, they hadn’t got their paperwork sorted!

11 minutes ago, mybass said:

My sis in NZ tells me it was the Trustees Savings Bank and yes, they hadn’t got their paperwork sorted!

Taranaki Savings Bank actually. They were the only vestige of the Trustee Savings Bank left when the rest of the branches around the country were sold to Westpac by vote of the member customers. Subsequently they branched back out around the country!

• Like 1