Why become a member? ×

Gibson just getting weirder and weirder.

NancyJohnson

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, Doctor J said:

Gibson have issued a cease and desist letter to Kiesel over their Ultra-V, introduced in 1986 🤣

Of all the guitars to pick on - probably based on how big Gibson think Kiesel's legal budget is rather than choosing a guitar that actually looks more than vaguely similar to a flying v.

• Like 1

I was listening to the guy from Kiesel talking about this, he says they released their V 9 years before Gibson bothered to trademark theirs. If there's two things Gibson are good at it's making sub-par instruments and losing court cases, looks like this trend is set to continue.

Edited by lemmywinks

10 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Of all the guitars to pick on - probably based on how big Gibson think Kiesel's legal budget is rather than choosing a guitar that actually looks more than vaguely similar to a flying v.

Yep.

You can bet they won't be going after Jackson for their Vee and Explorer inspired shapes, because Jackson is part of the Fender group which can afford to contest these lawsuits.

Gibson seems to focusing mainly on companies which would struggle with the legal fees needed just to fight a case, let alone win it.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

Meet Your Maker: #43 - Gibson's James Curleigh

Gibson_James_Curleigh.jpg?p=publish

Gibson CEO James 'JC' Curleigh: Not even remotely a smarmy gobbin

James Curleigh reclines in his very expensive black leather swivel chair.

"It's made of the same leather that went into my jacket," grins Curleigh. "It's actually from the very same cow. I've got a certificate to prove it".

Curleigh leans forward intently, his flowing, if slightly greasy, locks swinging like a pendulum; the same pendulum, perhaps, that has swung in Gibson's favor after the dark Henry Juskiewicz years when Gibson became a reviled name among guitarists.

"It was the cow certificate thing that got me thinking. And then I had one of those ideas for which I'm justifiably famous. Why not identify every tree that arrives at the Gibson plant and note down which guitars it goes into? Then when someone buys a Gibson they can go online and type in the serial number and see which other guitars came from the same tree and who owns them".

Curleigh arches an eyebrow:

"And here's the killer. Those people with guitars made from the same tree can join together and form discrete, semi-autonomous online communities where they can talk about how amazing their Gibsons are and how it's great that Gibson are protecting their brand's authenticity by hunting down small-scale luthiers and threatening to kill their families unless they sign up to our 'Gibson Friends' deal where they have to make only Gibson copies and we take all their money".

But what about the blowback from the 'Play Authentic' video?

Curleigh chuckles.

"I guess I feel kinda sorry for Mark Agnesi. He took all the heat for that video when it came out but then his boss Cesar (Guelkian) just revealed last month that Mark only made the video because Cesar told him to. So now Mark looks like a stooge and a püssy but, hey, them's the breaks when you work for a prestigious brand like Gibson. Anyhow, who cares? It's just business".

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 01/08/2019 at 21:22, SpondonBassed said:

It puts me in mind of our local Toyota factory.  They'd send whole cars to Sims metal yard for secure destruction.  These would be development test cars and such.

Although he was not allowed to get near them, my mate Jack was told by the yard supervisor that some of the cars had nothing wrong with them.   Some had less than 10,000 miles on them and looked as new.

They all got crushed.

There is a reason for this sir... I work for Ford Motor Company and we do the same thing. PP (Post Production) units are built prior to homologation, therefore they are not and can never be legal for use on UK roads. Yes they are functional vehicles, but they very likely won't conform to the legal homologation requirements that the end result 'mass produced' vehicle will. They're primarily used for final stage testing and because they are built for testing purposes they don't need to yet conform to final legal requirements, this does unfortunately mean that they must be destroyed after purpose with proof of destruction on record for audit purposes to prove that PP vehicles never make the open road! All car manufacturers will have a very similar process. The only other use for these vehicles are 'display pieces'. We had a yellow PP Mustang in our canteen for a few years! 😂

2 hours ago, binky_bass said:

There is a reason for this sir... I work for Ford Motor Company and we do the same thing. PP (Post Production) units are built prior to homologation, therefore they are not and can never be legal for use on UK roads. Yes they are functional vehicles, but they very likely won't conform to the legal homologation requirements that the end result 'mass produced' vehicle will. They're primarily used for final stage testing and because they are built for testing purposes they don't need to yet conform to final legal requirements, this does unfortunately mean that they must be destroyed after purpose with proof of destruction on record for audit purposes to prove that PP vehicles never make the open road! All car manufacturers will have a very similar process. The only other use for these vehicles are 'display pieces'. We had a yellow PP Mustang in our canteen for a few years! 😂

Sure, but those are for purposes of wider-reaching legal implications....these are guitars lol.

I work for a music gear manufacturer and we have the same ES/PP/MP production stages, while PP are usually representative of the final product, we don’t want them in the public domain for a myriad of reasons. But we don’t wantonly destroy them, they’re often just circulated around the office for internal use, or sometimes raffled off for staff with an agreement that they’re never sold/given away etc.

Si

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Sure, but those are for purposes of wider-reaching legal implications....these are guitars lol.

I work for a music gear manufacturer and we have the same ES/PP/MP production stages, while PP are usually representative of the final product, we don’t want them in the public domain for a myriad of reasons. But we don’t wantonly destroy them, they’re often just circulated around the office for internal use, or sometimes raffled off for staff with an agreement that they’re never sold/given away etc.

Si

My above comment was specifically about the comment @SpondonBassed posted about vehicle destruction, not about these guitars! 

To be fair, these guitars were SUPER ugly!! Shame they couldn't have been repurposed but not a shame they don't exist anymore! 

48 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

My above comment was specifically about the comment @SpondonBassed posted about vehicle destruction, not about these guitars! 

To be fair, these guitars were SUPER ugly!! Shame they couldn't have been repurposed but not a shame they don't exist anymore! 

Ah apologies, serves me right for not reading further back.

Si

On 22/02/2020 at 17:22, lemmywinks said:

Surely that was their headstock/neck design?

They're never going to be forgiven for designing musical instruments as musical instruments rather than engineering projects/pry bars/battering rams, are they? ;)

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Does we have any information as to how far apart James Curleigh's nipples were at the time of the photo-shoot?

Same as the distance between his ears.

So using the photograph and comparing the distance between Mr Curleigh's ears with the the known dimensions of the J45 he's holding it should be possible to establish the distance between his nipples.

No need to thank me.

17 hours ago, neepheid said:

They're never going to be forgiven for designing musical instruments as musical instruments rather than engineering projects/pry bars/battering rams, are they? ;)

You would assume that designing a musical instrument would involve some sort of insight into structural integrity. The headstock problem is comically easy to resolve, every other manufacturer manages to do it. Wood grain was a known factor many centuries before Gibson started making instruments.

On 01/08/2019 at 12:31, NancyJohnson said:

This is an absolute disgrace. Any fools knows you keep the tumbler at the rear when travelling. This is why he has to sprag half way through to keep on target. In effect he is tracking the machine in reverse.

If a track was to snap the tumbler could drive off it and then he'll be stuck with a job to get it back on. F**king amateur.

Makes my blood boil

Edited by Billy Apple
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5