Why become a member? ×

Gibson just getting weirder and weirder.

NancyJohnson

17 minutes ago, Cato said:

I seem to recall they were about 50p each when I first started playing guitar, 30 odd years ago, so 7 quid for 12 doesn't seem too exorbitant.

Back then they used to have the h for hard or possibly heavy on them, so they've been doing it for a while.

I also remember that they weren't great for bass, the hard plastic was too brittle and the picks used to chip as I was playing, until there was just a jagged stub left, although that might have been down to my rather aggressive beginners technique.

These things are great with a bass

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlop-418P-73-Tortex-Standard-Player/dp/B00HEKIKYC/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=Jim+Dunlop+Tortex+standard+guitar+picks+-+.73mm&qid=1584275657&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-8

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Is seven quid too much for these?  I'm thinking they look like the 1mm ones I had but mine didn't have the letter "H" on them.

image.png.d85ad636af666c561033c4a24efb6c7a.png

Are any users of these able to comment?

When all this was fields, I remember buying Gibson plectrums and they had the old Norlin comma and apostrophe squiggle under the Gibson logo.  I was amazed that I could buy into a little piece of Gibson for about 20p.

image.png.889a5d86e822f3d458207f94306b9c8f.png

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Is seven quid too much for these?  I'm thinking they look like the 1mm ones I had but mine didn't have the letter "H" on them.

image.png.d85ad636af666c561033c4a24efb6c7a.png

Are any users of these able to comment?

To be fair, that link is for a 12 pack with a little tin. £7 isn't too unreasonable. They're not £7 each!!

Edited by binky_bass
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Mind you, you can 72 for £15 from here.

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/gibson-72-standard-style-guitar-pick-heavy/

No tin though.

They're teardrop shaped.  There is also a delivery charge that I haven't looked into as 72 is overkill for my needs and I like them triangular.  I looked at a similar offer from Thomann for the triangular ones but the delivery charge plus the large quantity put me off.

52 minutes ago, Christine said:

Although they are a good price (even better for the 1mm ones) they are teardrop shaped.  I'm not fond of those.

42 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

To be fair, that link is for a 12 pack with a little tin. £7 isn't too unreasonable. They're not £7 each!!

You must think I came down with the last shower...  Heeheehee

I did read my own link but thank you for confirming that it's not too bad of a deal.

The thing is, some of the plectrums I came across in my search went into double figures... each.  I ain't that fussy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I'm a 1.0 Jim Dunlop Tortex man myself. Just had GuitarGuitar send me a 72 pack. Probably do me for the rest of my life! 

Knew it, girlie. I'm using 3.0 Jim Dunlop Big Stubby. 💪

3 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

For the avoidance of confusion I would like to make my position clear by means of the graphic appended below

1496276246_gibsonblame.jpg.deb790aa4bd7da08ee96e2803167831e.jpg

Gibson - Who's To Blame? Followed by green ticks for all the people you aren't blaming! Most misleading chart ever! 😂

• Haha 2