Why become a member? ×

Gibson just getting weirder and weirder.

NancyJohnson

On 28/02/2020 at 09:13, neepheid said:

They're never going to be forgiven for designing musical instruments as musical instruments rather than engineering projects/pry bars/battering rams, are they? ;)

They could be forgiven if they stuck with their inferior construction because it led to superior tone, but Gibson guitars sound awful.

On 22/02/2020 at 08:22, binky_bass said:

There is a reason for this sir... I work for Ford Motor Company and we do the same thing. PP (Post Production) units are built prior to homologation, therefore they are not and can never be legal for use on UK roads. Yes they are functional vehicles, but they very likely won't conform to the legal homologation requirements that the end result 'mass produced' vehicle will. They're primarily used for final stage testing and because they are built for testing purposes they don't need to yet conform to final legal requirements, this does unfortunately mean that they must be destroyed after purpose with proof of destruction on record for audit purposes to prove that PP vehicles never make the open road! All car manufacturers will have a very similar process. The only other use for these vehicles are 'display pieces'. We had a yellow PP Mustang in our canteen for a few years! 😂

A yellow Mustang? Never seen one of those by Fender.....😏

On 29/02/2020 at 08:36, Doctor J said:

Or, perhaps, they might make the radical and easy move of addressing the area of weakness. It’s not as if they have remained true to any other facet of the design with such zealotry in the last 70 years.

Indeed. The standard LP has been changed to a short neck tenon and back on a regular basis and you can only get the longer "correct" classic era style one if you pay more for a Custom Shop etc. That's something that does affect structural integrity and tone which they changed for the worse to cut costs so they aren't exactly faithful to the original designs. You can get that original feature on a £500 Epi and a £400 Cort but not your £2k Gibson.

Whilst Gibson has been going downhill for some years it's really become quite noticeable the effects of the "Mickey Rooney's crazy pills," which the board members have been taking.

Crushing instruments, sueing every smaller builder with a zeal that has to be seen to be believed. It's just monumental hubris. They deserve to fail and go bust.

• 2 weeks later...

More legal shenanigans.

Guitar.com reports that Heritage Guitars of Kalamazoo, Michigan are counter-suing Gibson after the latter accused Heritage of trademark infringement. This is despite the existence of an existing 30 year-old legal agreement between the two companies that allowed Heritage to make guitars that looked pretty much like Gibsons (apart from the headstock). Guitar.com story here.

The irony is that Heritage only came into being when Gibson shut down their Kalamazoo plant leaving behind the workers and the machinery that had produced the classic old Gibson electrics. In a sort of local MBO the workers kept the plant going, turning out guitars that many believed were equal to or better than modern Gibsons.

This is the latest in a round of litigations initiated by Gibson's new team. Yet, in December 2019 Gibson exec Cesar Gueikian claimed:

'“We inherited, from the previous owners, a legacy of confrontation and litigation, which we have essentially now been putting to bed. There are literally just one or two situations that we haven’t been able to resolve amicably, and not because of a lack of intention on our side. But everything else, why not collaborate with those who are doing really cool things?”

Some people might suggest that aggressive litigation is very much at the centre of Gibson's 'collaborative' ethos and that despite their many emollient pronouncements to the contrary Mr Gueikian and his hirsute boss Mr James Curleigh are in fact lying f**kface rat bastards, spawned from the sphincter of a satanic 'luxury brand' hedge fund that's more interested in shutting down competitors prior to selling the company on at a profit.

These accusers would - of course - be completely wrong. It is plain to the meanest intelligence that Gibson merely wants to be everybody's friend and just concentrate on channelling their passion for really, really great guitars.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

are in fact lying f**kface rat bastards, spawned from the sphincter of a satanic 'luxury brand' hedge fund that's more interested in shutting down competitors prior to selling the company

more sitting on the fence...😉😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

and his hirsute boss Mr James Curleigh are in fact lying f**kface rat bastards, spawned from the sphincter of a satanic 'luxury brand' hedge fund that's more interested in shutting down competitors prior to selling the company on at a profit.

But he looks so cool!...

Mummy, mummy.. look at me, I'm Elvis Presley.

Jim-Jim go poo-poo now mummy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Is seven quid too much for these?  I'm thinking they look like the 1mm ones I had but mine didn't have the letter "H" on them.

image.png.d85ad636af666c561033c4a24efb6c7a.png

Are any users of these able to comment?

I seem to recall they were about 50p each when I first started playing guitar, 30 odd years ago, so 7 quid for 12 doesn't seem too exorbitant.

Back then they used to have the h for hard or, possibly heavy, on them, so they've been doing it for a while.

I also remember that they weren't great for bass, the hard plastic was too brittle and the picks used to chip as I was playing, until there was just a jagged stub left, although that might have been down to my rather aggressive beginners technique.

Edited by Cato
  • Thanks 1