Why become a member? ×

Gibson just getting weirder and weirder.

NancyJohnson

10 minutes ago, chris_b said:

No company would put known "bad" products out into the market place, so it's unrealistic to expect that Gibson would.

I think it's unrealistic to expect that Gibson wouldn't.

Gibson officially stopped selling B-stock in 1985 yet since that date the examples are legion of theoretically 'perfect' guitars with flaws worse than the old factory seconds. Which is why their QC has been derided for years and is the subject of intense speculation since the new lads took over.

8 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

If I was going to do something that people would find obscene and/or disgusting - I'd have the decency to do it in a darkened room, and in private.

A nation thanks you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, chris_b said:

. . . . or maybe the new management is doing this publicly in order to send out the message that it getting serious about QC and won't tolerate the working practises that the old management thought were appropriate.

I think Gibson's assertion that the Firebird X's were unsafe is fundamentally bogus unless Gibson meant that the mere sight of a Firebird X would cause strong men to weep. They were horrid guitars that only someone like @ped would covet.

Well, I think it was Ped.

I'm happy to be corrected.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, bartelby said:

Didn't the interview also say that the whole process for this was put in place before the new management took over?

It was carried out under the new management regime. However many of those guitars were made -the third video speculated less than 800 - Gibson intentionally destroyed almost half the number of these guitars in existence as a financial write-off. They had to destroy all the parts and cases too as a result. That’s why they’re strung up, with the tuners, pickups and electronics in place. The whole instrument needed to be destroyed in order to write off the full value. It’s a financial move, pure and simple. They weren’t defective, other than the actual design, and they weren’t unsafe, other than to their tax liability.

The cost of this kind of nonsense is absorbed into the price tag of every other Gibson out there, just bear that in mind next time you’re looking at one in a shop. 

A final point and one which is being overlooked - Gibson finally made a guitar where it seemed to take effort to remove the headstock and they destroyed them. It’s a crazy, crazy world.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

I think Gibson's assertion that the Firebird X's were unsafe is fundamentally bogus unless Gibson meant that the mere sight of a Firebird X would cause strong men to weep. They were horrid guitars that only someone like @ped would covet.

Well, I think it was Ped.

I'm happy to be corrected.

It was ped ☺️

• Haha 6

14 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Yeh, just watched that.

Pretty sad. Would have loved one of those.

The fella narrating this video certainly agrees with the tax writeoff theory and it does the most likely reason. 

Worst bit of that video is watching the neck stamp on a Pelham blue 335 in the factory demolition. Monsters. 

In fact, this video is very instructive.

Eveybody has noticed that a guitar is so strong that it needed several passes over by a 30.000 kilos engine to be  slightly reliced. 

So next time you'll do the sissy about shipping an instrument, watch that video again !

The other fact is that a stock destruction must be assessed, hence the video as paying a legal bailiff would have led Gibson to the final bankruptcy.

• Like 2

One thing is the 'robot' tuners. My brotehr had an LP junior from new with robots. They were never good, and when they automatically removed his g-string during a performance he was not impressed - I mean if you're a Chippendale it would be OK, but...

They became so reliably unreliable he was able to record a video of the guitar removing its own strings just in response to being strummed, which he sent to Gibson.

In the end he fitted 'normal' tuners and ended up selling it as a standard guitar to part fund his '62 SG junior.

He's a utter Gibson devotee but has few illusions about their QC, although he is very pleased with a new LPJ he bought last year.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Next video will be the creepy “play authentic” guy driving a Prius over a load of Deans shouting “DO YOU SEE, DEAN? DO YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FUDGE A STRANGER IN THE PASS?!?!?!”

I am sure it's English wot you rote but I don't understand a word of it, sorry.  WTF is Dean?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

If I was going to do something that people would find obscene and/or disgusting - I'd have the decency to do it in a darkened room, and in private.

And BassChat appreciates your discrete behaviour, Ricky :)

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

One thing is the 'robot' tuners. My brotehr had an LP junior from new with robots. They were never good, and when they automatically removed his g-string during a performance he was not impressed - I mean if you're a Chippendale it would be OK, but...

They became so reliably unreliable he was able to record a video of the guitar removing its own strings just in response to being strummed, which he sent to Gibson.

I had a gibson darkfire with robot tuners. It wasn't perfect but it worked (the QC of the guitar itself was shocking). I got rid of it because i was offered good money and wasn't playing guitar, but I would have it again in a heartbeat, and if I had the option for robot tuners over normal tuners, I would have them.

But in general, guitarists are even worse than bassists for 'if it wasn't invented in the 50s' syndrome.

• Like 1