Why become a member? ×

USB Audio Interface Advice Needed Please

Jock

2 minutes ago, Jock said:

Cheers,

Had a look at both of them online but it isn't clear on any website/manual that you can track four instruments simultaneously over USB.

Jock

I have the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and have done exactly this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jock said:

Cheers,

Had a look at both of them online but it isn't clear on any website/manual that you can track four instruments simultaneously over USB.

Jock

The 4 XLR/jack channels at the front, aside from the ones at the back would point you this way that it is possible and they can each be selected as a separate channel in your DAW

Edited by Cuzzie
First answer was terse and morning awakening grumpy!

12 hours ago, Jock said:

Cheers,

Jock

With the Steinberg UR-RT4, you can do it as there's 4 direct inputs. Furthermore it's fully compatible for Cubase 10 as it's made by ... Steinberg. I use the UR-RT2 with Cubase Pro 10 and Wavelab 9.5 as I don't need more than 2 inputs at the same time.

34 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

With the Steinberg UR-RT4, you can do it as there's 4 direct inputs. Furthermore it's fully compatible for Cubase 10 as it's made by ... Steinberg. I use the UR-RT2 with Cubase Pro 10 and Wavelab 9.5 as I don't need more than 2 inputs at the same time.

All interfaces will be compatible with Cubase 10 :)

Si // Focusrite 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Of course, but I think you've not known the glory years of fighting against software and hardware compatibility, some 20 to 25 years ago. That's why I wrote "fully"... 😉

Fair enough, but your post reads like it’s fully compatible with Cubase because it’s made by Steinberg, so I was just clarifying :) 

11 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Isn't the four-at-a-time thing just about assignment in your DAW?  On my DAW, you just select the output route off the interface; the DAW recognises the total number of outs on the interface and allows them all to be assigned to individual tracks.

Sure, however you obviously need the physical inputs/outputs available in order to made those assignments in your DAW :)

Si // Focusrite

Edited by Sibob

22 hours ago, Hellzero said:

I use the UR-RT2 as well (although with Nuendo 8). As 'Sibob' said, all Interfaces these days will be compatible with Cubase...

But, are you talking about how the UR-RT2/4 Integrates with the hardware Rack in the Cubendo Mix Console? 

(If not, just ignore my ramblings and carry on...:D).

"The UR-RT4 handles zero latency monitoring via a software app (dspMixFx), and this also incorporates a suite of plugins. The first two can be applied to the input signal prior to recording or simply used as monitor effects. One nice feature here is the Channel Strip which includes a single knob ‘sweet spot’ feature for quick adjustment of EQ and compression. Much like the UR44 there are DSP limits - one amp plus two mono channel strips or four mono channel strips. Even so, it’s a great feature and more impressive when used inside Cubase, as all this functionality falls under the True Integrated Monitoring banner and is accessible via the hardware rack in Cubase MixConsole."

Edited by lowdown

Yep, indeed, hence the "full" compatibility sentence. That said, I've been using Nuendo for years and came back to Cubase when I bought my UR-RT2 as the upgrade to Cubase Pro 10 was "cheap". Cheaper than buying the latest Nuendo 10 64 bits version, in fact, and for what I'm doing now, Cubase Pro 10 coupled to Wavelab 9.5 is more than enough.

2 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Yep, indeed, hence the "full" compatibility sentence. That said, I've been using Nuendo for years and came back to Cubase when I bought my UR-RT2 as the upgrade to Cubase Pro 10 was "cheap". Cheaper than buying the latest Nuendo 10 64 bits version, in fact, and for what I'm doing now, Cubase Pro 10 coupled to Wavelab 9.5 is more than enough.

I went the other way. I did the crossgrade from Cubase 9.5 over to Nuendo 8. This was a few months ago, when Steinberg also had the promotion push with 50% off software products. I think I paid about £165. The down side was it made my Cubase license invalid. You can open old Cubase projects in Nuendo, so no problem. I'm just about to upgrade to version ten of Nuendo and that is £171. So, all in all, not too bad to finally get to version 10.

Cubase and Nuendo are both in a very good place these days with some amazing features.

16 hours ago, Jock said:

Hi

Thank you for all the advice. Went with the focusrite scarlett 18i8. Only started farting around with it but it does seem to do what I wanted so I'm happy?

Cheers

Glad you're sorted :)

If I can be of any help with anything, let me know!

Si // Focusrite 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1