Why become a member? ×

August Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

August's Composition Challenge is on...

Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month's winner, upside downer:

weird-1.jpg

Rules:

Check you have permission to use any samples

Keep it under 5 minutes and write it during the month of the challenge

No funny business

The deadline for entries is midnight on Saturday 24th August.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my contribution to the August 2019 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by one of the previous joint winners: Upside Downer.
A bare bones composition somewhat sparce, with, I hope, a quizical atmosphere. 
The essentials were teased out of EZ Keys, underpinned with a Trillian acoustic bass. Some horn playing, naturally, by Roland. The purring cat is hidden behind some royalty-free atmospheric pad samples; a dose of Ozone finishes it all off.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SH73 said:

@Dad3353

Are you planing to start a sticky thread on mixing and mastering? BTW very subtle composition this month 👍

No, sir, I am not, and any 'planing' I do is down to officially-prescribed medicinal drugs..! :angry2:

No, seriously, there is already a splendid 'sticky' topic giving bucket-loads of advice on home recording in general; any 'mixing and mastering' tips would, I think, find a natural home there. I'd post tips there myself, but for lack of competence. Disclaimer: I'm an old, half-deaf dummy with limited skills but almost unlimited time to devote (until my Last Trump is sounded, naturally...), and, once I get an idea in my head, I just work it through until I'm satisfied that it won't get any better. My 'mixing' consists of listening, then listening again; repeat ad nauseum until I like it. I use 3db steps when altering levels, as any less makes no difference to my cloth ears. For mastering, I used to cheat by using AAMS, a mastering software suite with a whole lot of presets; I'd just choose the genre I thought best suited. Nowadays, I'm using Ozone, with another set of presets, with which I do the same. Yes, it's lazy, but my competence stretches no further than that.
As for 'subtle': that's the first time I've had that used regarding any of my offerings, and I'll take it as a huge compliment (such is my vanity...). It's far from the usual epithets associated with my contributions. It can't be down to my failing hearing; maybe I'm just getting a little bit luckier..? Many thanks, in any case.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I'll repeat the post on September the 10th, then (and I didn't notice any smut... 4SMmlA6.png ).

Oh No , it must be a bit too subtle :facepalm:

I don’t know how to do one of those spoiler things on the phone , so I’ll keep schtum for the moment, when I get back to the big machine I’ll try to explain :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just in time. This one features a ridiculously slowed down sitar which is the drone/backing track, effects, thumb piano, bowed psaltery, an ol' Satellite bass, some brief sampled drum kit hits and a normal speeded, detuned sitar too. Vocals by Beyoncé, ha, no, by Mrs UD. It's a toe-tapping dancefloor filler!*

*Please note - it's far, far, far from a toe-tapping dancefloor filler.