Why become a member? ×

My hate love for Carvin...

fiatcoupe432

Who owns owned a carvin bass?

I own one and has been the bass that I bought then sold then bought it back again the borrowed to a friend (with problems) who pawn it and I bought it back again!

I love the bass to bits but not really suited for the kind of music I play. I love how it feels how it sound how it looks but I the same time I only use it at home.

do you feel the same for your carvin? Shall I sell it or keep it? Need a jazz bass but I don't have the funds unless I sell this but then I'm scared I want to have it again

9 minutes ago, ribbetingfrog said:

Why do you need a jazz bass?

what does it give you that the carvin does not?

t kind of fit in the context more than the carvin does to be honest and also a bit of a gas for a jazz

I just like the feel of an old instrument nowadays and also I realised my love for passive basses

We should offer a Basschat therapy service.

Help lost souls to find their hearts path.

Sometimes i’ve Sold guitars or basses i’ve loved as i’ve needed the money. I always regret selling them but sometimes a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

i have a list of ones I need to buy again one day to rekindle the lost love.

I wish i’d Found a way to keep all of them but money never allows usually.

3 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Back in the day (damn, I hate that expression!) or when all this was fields, weren't Carvin guitars kit built things?  Also seem to remember Schecter being the same.

I remember them being a well known and quite well regarded brand that was almost unobtainable in the UK back then. 

About 30 years ago I had a chat with their UK representatives at a Mamas Boy's after show at the Astoria (long story, not worth the telling) and they were very pleased with themselves for having just signed an endorsement deal with Pat McManus ("so, does he get free guitars and amps then?"  "er...we have an arrangement..."). I asked them why they were bothering to offer a UK endorsement when they didn't seem to actually about have any of their stuff in the shops - I'd seen a few (not many) guitars but I'd never seen a Carvin amp in any shop.  They conceded that this was true, but it was because they saw themselves as being a prestige brand and only wanted it to be available in select, hand picked outlets.

However, they were about to have a big push on Carvin amps, so keep my eye out for those, because they'd just signed a deal with a high end shop round the corner in Denmark St - Hanks!

They couldn't understand why I laughed at them (for those who don't know Denmark St, Hanks only stocks acoustic instruments, not the place you would go if you were shopping for a hard rock/metal guitar amp)

I have owned three Carvin basses, and still own a 7-string Carvin guitar. The basses were a B4 (that I believe I bought on this site) which was rather excellent, with a natural gloss ash body, and a lovely birdseye maple fingerboard, a J and MM pickup and passive electronics. The other two were LB75's, with that same pickup configuration but an active 3-band EQ. One was all black, and the other was natural walnut with a flamed walnut top. The black one was all stock, played nice, very versatile but a little dull (as in boring). The walnut one sounded a bit weak, and the previous owner had the neck sanded down to remove the gloss finish and a couple of mm of wood and I hated it. 

I like Carvin as a brand, but I would never buy one new. Resale value is terrible. On the plus side, you can get a really nice used one for great prices. All three Carvin basses I owned cost me less than 500 euros (I believe the B4 was just 250 pounds even). 

I have a Carvin B1000 bass head. Nice piece of kit. Made in the US of A. EQ is excellent. If it goes pop, I'm in trouble as Carvin are out of business, but whilst it works, it's great (it's my backup, so doesn't get a hard life). I've only played a couple of their instruments, but they were very good. Given that the OP says "I love how it feels how it sound how it looks", what's the problem with it? Seems to be the bass for him.

If you love how it feels, sounds, and looks, I would keep it.  It's hard to find all three in one bass! 

Is there any reason you can't get close to a jazz bass sound from it?  It might not be exact but it looks like it will come close enough for most band situations

• Like 1