Why become a member? ×

My First Bass - Westone Content

King Tut

I visited an old buddy today. In the early eighties I sold him my first ever bass - a Westone Thunder II. I regretted it ever since, but at least it quickly found it's forever home. Sadly he doesn't play anymore but won't sell it back to me. I visited him today and played it for the first time in 30 odd years! That's him in the pic, not me!

IMG_20190731_154038266_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190731_155537338_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190731_155515996_HDR.jpg

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’d make him an offer he couldn’t refuse

Horse's head in his bed??? 

My first bass was a Thunder 1a...went round a number of friends before being sold by somebody's uncle who'd borrowed it....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Stunning example of what is now a very rare bass - unlike the ubiquitous (and awesome) Thunder 1 & 1A, the II and III versions hardly ever come up and those that do are often in a sorry state.

TBH though you're probably as well leaving it with your mate - if you get it back you'll only spend the forseeable future on an empty, fruitless and ultimately soul-destroying quest for a set of the original brass control knobs... :D

EDIT: Bonus prog point to your pal for being a Porky Tree fan. B|

Edited by Bassassin

Very nice bass - and obviously well treated over those 30-odd years. That looks like a Westone case too if I'm not mistaken?

Still loving my modded '84 Thunder III, - it was just a slightly younger version of the Thunder II when in original spec. Only difference from the T-II was black pickup and truss rod covers.

20190614_095402.jpg

Edited by Krysbass
More detail
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

I know nothing about Westone (one even how to pronounce it)

Always assumed "Wes Tone" rather than West One" - but what do I know? It was Matsumoku's own brand so there's every possibility both interpretations are wrong!

Used to call them "Wet One" back in t'day but that was just misjudged sardonic punnage. Or something. :)

• Like 1

Always used to lust after the Thunder II & III back in the day, great looking basses and rare as hens teeth, them and Aria Pro II SB & RSB's.

To this day, one of the best basses I ever owned was a Thunder 1A (even though it weighed a ton!).