Why become a member? ×

High fret

mentalextra

I have discovered a high fret on my jazz. Up the 'dusty' end, which although I rarely visit there, I'd like to know all is well if I chose to. So my options are 'give it a tap', or a fret levelling. I'm guessing that many of us have experience of using a hammer, but has anyone levelled and re dressed/crowned their own frets?

Not sure if this any help , but when I had my 62 RI set up the luthier told me he couldn’t get the action really low because the last 2 frets were slightly high, he charged me £20 to level them , I wasn’t brave enough to try it myself 😁

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Not sure if this any help , but when I had my 62 RI set up the luthier told me he couldn’t get the action really low because the last 2 frets were slightly high, he charged me £20 to level them , I wasn’t brave enough to try it myself 😁

I like to do as much work on my guitars as I can, but not sure if buying in the tools for fret dressing/crowning is financially viable?

6 minutes ago, mentalextra said:

I like to do as much work on my guitars as I can, but not sure if buying in the tools for fret dressing/crowning is financially viable?

I’ve seen the files on eBay but I’m not sure how good they are 🙂

• Like 1

First off, when you say it's one high fret, is it a fret that has visibly lifted slightly i.e. you can see a little gap between it and the fret board? If you can't actually see it with the naked eye, you can check by attempting to slide a thin piece of paper in there. Assuming there is a gap, then a smart tap with a small hammer will probably be all that's needed.

If a levelling is required and it is only one fret, then a sharpie pen, sand paper, emery board (nail file), 120, 240, 320 and 400 grit paper, masking tape, should be all you need.

Drop me a pm if you want any DIY instructions.

Edited by gary mac
  • Like 2

I do all my own fret work. It's not difficult, but you have to have developed the touch through practice. There are loads of youtube videos showing the process so you can see what is involved.

A single high fret is relatively simple with minimal tools, but I wouldn't start out on a valuable instrument.

• Like 3