Why become a member? ×

Big shout out for this forum and its members

Brook_fan

I wanted to just say publicly how much I enjoy this forum.  I may not be a very active member at the moment, but I thoroughly enjoy the content on here, and especially the people.  Indeed, a huge thank you to forum member Raymundo who, about 18 months ago now, saw my post on here that, due to financial difficulties, I had to sell my beloved Brook acoustic bass.  Ray immediately got in touch and offered to lend me an acoustic bass to tide me over.  I have just given the bass back to Ray (I still hope to be able to buy back my Brook shortly) but this lovely act of kindness will never be forgotten.

I truly think bass players are the loveliest of musicians- humble, extremely musical, empathetic, and without any delusions of grandeur!  An example of this is the thread on Depression.  Such a thread is unheard of on other forums.  Indeed, on a guitar forum I belong to, discussions of people’s mental health is positively frowned upon!  The way people help and support each other in that thread is really quite beautiful.

Anyway, just wanted to get that all off my chest.  Hopefully, at some stage in the next few months I will have my bass back and continue with my project of exploring solo folk bass!!

Robbie

• Like 47
  • Thanks 1

Likewise its just a great place to hang out and have a blether, get things of your chest and offer any help, advice you can.

I've gained loads of information from the guys on here. 

I enjoy the posts where people offer help with gear like your own situation. It gives you a sense of pride and a happy feeling to know that people will lend gear to complete strangers who are having a bit of a hard time. You hope that others would do the same for you if you ever needed it.

The words of support you get can bring a tear to your eye at times. So many touching stories on the forum and hopefully the comments help that person get thru a difficult time.

We've had people going thru difficult medical issues and letting us know what going on in their life and the comments seem to help them get thru it.

Its just a great place to be.

Dave  

• Like 7

With regard to the mental health support that bassists give to each other, this is perhaps not too surprising as being bassists we've had a lot of experience of dealing with mental health issues from our respective band mates😅

• Haha 5

It is very kind of you to thank me in public Robbie, much appreciated.

I actually had a brilliant night out in Bath ( it was convenient for Robbie to get to then) when I gave you the bass and loved that old guitar shop you showed me.

There was an amazing coincidence when arranging to get my bass back...…..

I live in Ilkeston in Derbyshire and with Robbie being near Bournemouth ,finding a mutually convenient meeting place was a problem ( short of me having a night out in Bournemouth but I've been there before 😉 ).

I went to Stroud on Friday to see The Achievers (AGAIN   @Jack_Stroud_Bass  :crazy: ) and arranged to meet  Robbie at the station to get my bass....on Thursday I was chatting to my neighbour and he mentioned that he was going to Bournemouth On Saturday for a holiday...he met Robbie and got my bass saving him a 7 hour round trip...how cool is that? !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Raymondo said:

It is very kind of you to thank me in public Robbie, much appreciated.

I actually had a brilliant night out in Bath ( it was convenient for Robbie to get to then) when I gave you the bass and loved that old guitar shop you showed me.

There was an amazing coincidence when arranging to get my bass back...…..

I live in Ilkeston in Derbyshire and with Robbie being near Bournemouth ,finding a mutually convenient meeting place was a problem ( short of me having a night out in Bournemouth but I've been there before 😉 ).

I went to Stroud on Friday to see The Achievers (AGAIN   @Jack_Stroud_Bass  :crazy: ) and arranged to meet  Robbie at the station to get my bass....on Thursday I was chatting to my neighbour and he mentioned that he was going to Bournemouth On Saturday for a holiday...he met Robbie and got my bass saving him a 7 hour round trip...how cool is that? !

That's fantastic!

Basschat is an excellent forum, anyone who followed bluesparky's posts about his battle with the big C (a fight he sadly lost) will attest to that. 

We're playing The Latch Lifter in Ilkeston on Oct 19th @Raymondo so drop in if you're not busy, I always like meeting up with fellow basschatters.

My band

• Like 1

As I was just reading what @ricksterphil had posted, my  neighbour knocked on my door and delivered my bass!

Unfortunately I can't get to the Latch Lifter  as I will be in Spain ( I am pulling in a couple of Achievers gigs as part of my week away....have I mentioned that I quite like them?) but have liked your Facebook page and will look out for any gigs I can get to.

I followed Bluesparky's fight ...I went down to Ipswich for his final gig...met him and his dad and a few others...lovely people.

It was such a shock when he passed so shortly afterwards.

Edited by Raymondo

Thanks for the page like Ray, and it would be great to see you at a gig of ours.

I was so impressed with Bluesparky's positive attitude in the face of such a battle. It serves to remind us of the fragility of life!

I'm not aware of The Achievers but will check 'em out

Edited by ricksterphil
update
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

That's fantastic!

Basschat is an excellent forum, anyone who followed bluesparky's posts about his battle with the big C (a fight he sadly lost) will attest to that. 

My band

I didn't realise he had lost his battle. Such a shame he seemed to put up a good fight too. So sorry to hear that.

Dave

• Like 1

A lovely and honest OP which I agree with entirely.

Having been on other forums I do see BassChat as something of an oasis. Other forums simply aren't as pleasant as here, some of them are positively toxic - anyone been on any sports or fitness websites? Jeez! Well done mods and fellow BC'ers for making this place what it is!

• Like 6