Why become a member? ×

Say it quietly.....new Tool album coming

Graham

36 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Are you drunk?? 😂
I jest, each to their own of course, it's purely that I think 10,000 Days is as impressive as any of their records. 
The more I listen to Fear Inoculum, the more I think it's an incredibly good body of work, and it's always funny to me that people use songs like The Grudge as some sort of benchmark for their more refined moments (it's been referenced a couple of times in the thread I think, not just above)......it's 8 and a half minutes long haha.

Also a quick note on Hooker with a Pe nis & Prison Sex......they were 23 and 26 years ago respectively, not sure many artists are making the same art they did that long ago.....there seems to be this idea of 'massive' tracks being short tracks, Pneuma and 7empest are 'massive' tracks.....they're just not short lol.

I also see this album in the same way that I see the Klon pedal (for those aware of how it's creator views the hilarity of the pedals legacy), this album has never been touted as some swan song masterpiece by the band, they haven't waited for 13 years on purpose to then consciously drop what they describe as they best album ever.....that's all on the fans building up that narrative. The band have just lived their lives, and come back to do what they do when they've had the opportunity, they've written something that sounds like them now and makes them happy. The biggest criticism seems to be that 'it sounds like Tool, but there are no short bangers on it'.....I imagine that's what they were aiming for :)

As always, each to their own, it's fun to talk.

Si

Yeah - The Patient is better than The Grudge any day!

I tend to agree - it's why many bands take longer between albums as they reach their 40s and beyond: they have families, and hobbies, and money to indulge both. It's like GRR Martin and the ASOIAF books - he owes his readers nothing and will publish what he wants, when he wants. You can choose to be disappointed but there it is.

I have only listened to the album once - it's far better than Dream Theater's latest release, that's for sure.

Ah the Klon pedal - and all the many super-expensive boutique Tubescreamer and 'legendary RAT' versions out there - just get a Source Audio OFD and have them all there in one box ;) 

1 hour ago, Daz39 said:

Ah the Klon pedal - and all the many super-expensive boutique Tubescreamer and 'legendary RAT' versions out there - just get a Source Audio OFD and have them all there in one box ;) 

I really liked the sound of the OFD, just couldn't get on with the interface.

14 minutes ago, Graham said:

I really liked the sound of the OFD, just couldn't get on with the interface.

I just found the OFD did all its emulations well but none brilliantly so. 

Tool for the job eh? 

...And seamlessly back on topic 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well.... I'm quite happy with this album.  I want to buy a cd but I'm jiggered if I'm paying for that all extra stuff.... 

Mind you, I'm no longer minded to analyse stuff to death - 20 years ago might have been different, but these days if I like it I listen to it.

Edited by odysseus
  • Like 1

Okay. Finally listened to it. 

Firstly, I’m glad it was made. There is some really good stuff on this album. Descending and Culling Voices are tracks which are really good additions to the Tool catalogue. 7empest too.

The drawback to me is that I feel that I have heard variations of most of the ‘heavy riffs’ from previous Tool albums. Lots of fairly similar drop D riffs and drum fills and bass parts with delay.

I don’t think it is a complete retread though as on the whole it seems a lot more mid paced and less aggressive than previous releases. It seems that Maynard has taken his crooning A Perfect Circle approach to this album. I quite like his vocals taking a different approach and I like the parts that are focusing on creating layered soundscapes rather than ‘let’s play a riff that kind of sounds like [insert riff from earlier Tool song] but change one note’.

My taste in music is a lot more eclectic now than it was when I was 20. Tool were a band that acted as a gateway for me to explore heavy post rock, instrumental and psychedelic music. The fact that this album doesn’t make me go ‘wow’ is probably due to me rather than the quality of the album. 

Probably a 7 out of 10 for me. 

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, thodrik said:

Okay. Finally listened to it. 

Firstly, I’m glad it was made. There is some really good stuff on this album. Descending and Culling Voices are tracks which are really good additions to the Tool catalogue. 7empest too.

The drawback to me is that I feel that I have heard variations of most of the ‘heavy riffs’ om previous Tool albums. Lots of fairly similar drop D riffs and drum fills and bass parts with delay.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Out of Maynard's 3 main bands Puscifer has become my favourite.

On 03/09/2019 at 09:51, Sibob said:

It's always funny to me that people use songs like The Grudge as some sort of benchmark for their more refined moments (it's been referenced a couple of times in the thread I think, not just above)......it's 8 and a half minutes long haha.

Also a quick note on Hooker with a Pe nis & Prison Sex......they were 23 and 26 years ago respectively, not sure many artists are making the same art they did that long ago....

Yeah, 'The Grudge' is nearly ten minutes long but that doesn't matter because it's a banger. It is, IMO, Tool at their most spectacular and refined. It blends both brilliant melodies, pacing and a good blend of dynamic. It has a clear progression and builds to an exciting crescendo. At the heart of it is that brilliant riff. 

My point about loving these songs from 25 years ago is coming full circle back to my earlier point, in that Tool write some of the best songs in rock, but a large amount of their output is just fodder to fill space on a disc. You could condense their best tracks down to make one mega-album, which would be full of bangers from start to finish. 

Okay, following my previous review of the album (which seems to have magically vanished and then reappeared from this thread) where I marked it as 7/10, I would now like to say that I have grown to enjoy the album more than I initially expected. I hereby increase my score to a massive...8/10.

Edited by thodrik

On 11/09/2019 at 13:12, thodrik said:

Okay, following my previous review of the album (which seems to have magically vanished and then reappeared from this thread) where I marked it as 7/10, I would now like to say that I have grown to enjoy the album more than I initially expected. I hereby increase my score to a massive...8/10.

We await the updates over the next few listens 😉.

It’s a helluva grower I think!

Si

Edited by Sibob

On 02/09/2019 at 23:16, Hellzero said:

Downloaded it today, and it's another Tool album, nothing more, nothing less. No surprise.

There was something like a promise with the opening tune, a different route to take, but they decided to take the American highway were the speed limit is so low that nothing ever happens. Cruising quietly at the speed limit. 

Disappointed ? No as I was sure that they would make a mellow version of 10,000 Days. They just made a whole record in D with the same drum patterns, same guitar riffs, same bass lines, adding some misconception of electro music, and a superbly boring mastering.

But I do really like the first tune, even if I didn't bother reading its title.

Listened to the whole thing twice to come to the conclusion that I have another "family meeting" record to play.

Now let's get nailed by the hardcore fans. 🤪

Correct ,its another Tool album .No one wanted anything else .Picasso painted similar things time after time but he wasn't Rolf Harris 

8 minutes ago, jazzmanb said:

Correct ,its another Tool album .No one wanted anything else .Picasso painted similar things time after time but he wasn't Rolf Harris 

So Pablo Picasso painted similar things, just like his Blue Period, Rose Period, Cubism Periods (there were two), Surrealistic Period, and his early years that were hyper realistic paintings... Don't think were are talking the same language here. Sorry. ;)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hellzero said:

So Pablo Picasso painted similar things, just like his Blue Period, Rose Period, Cubism Periods (there were two), Surrealistic Period, and his early years that were hyper realistic paintings... Don't think were are talking the same language here. Sorry. ;)

Doesn't sound like you notice the differences in Tool that clearly some do ,like i'm crap on Picasso .My point is more of the same in Tools case is still a very high bar 

• 6 months later...