Why become a member? ×

Say it quietly.....new Tool album coming

Graham

On 10/08/2019 at 08:50, Skybone said:

I for one am hoping that they are going to have more "songs" on this one, and less of the "atmospheric" tracks (filler). Still can't listen to 10,000 Days without skipping through the majority of the album.

Anyway, the teaser track sounds interesting.

I think they're a band for certain situations .Some of my all time favorite albums were listened to after night clubs in my flat with friends in the early hours .I know longer do those hours so I no longer  listen to that music.It is still amazing ,its just not me anymore .Tool's best stuff is the long slow burns but again I rarely have the opportunity to listen to them properly . The mad thrashers still do the biz in my car etc 

Listened to it at work yesterday, and it's rather good. Definitely need to listen to it again a few more times.

However... I'm still not going to spend £80 on the "special edition" CD, with all the gubbins that comes with it, how about releasing a "normal" CD as well? I suppose I'll just have to stump up for the download instead. :( 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skybone said:

However... I'm still not going to spend £80 on the "special edition" CD, with all the gubbins that comes with it, how about releasing a "normal" CD as well? I suppose I'll just have to stump up for the download instead. :( 

Just downloaded the 87 minute version.
It sounds luvverly on first impression, but I'll postpone an opinion on the compositions.

I'd buy the 80 quid one if I trusted its long life, but I don't. Just 80 quid for a memory chip, plus an amp, plus a screen, plus one or two speakers plus a rechargeable battery? Reeks novelty and bad quality to me.

I always try to buy a physical copy but couldn't find a regular CD, and your post explains that bit. Thanks!

Now back to my music library! 🙂

Edited by BassTractor

Over the last couple of weeks I've listened to all five albums and while each has a couple of really good tracks most of the other tunes have some good bits amid quite a lot of filler. Mind you the same can be said for pretty much every symphony or concerto ever written. That's the problem with tunes that go on for a long time. Anyway, overall I still don't quite get the devotion from many fanboys out there. 

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Mind you the same can be said for pretty much every symphony or concerto ever written. That's the problem with tunes that go on for a long time. 

I disagree entirely, and propose that music that goes on for a long time just isn't for you. Maybe Anton Webern is something you might like instead. IMS, he wrote a symphony that was no more than 10 minutes or so.

25 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

I disagree entirely, and propose that music that goes on for a long time just isn't for you. Maybe Anton Webern is something you might like instead. IMS, he wrote a symphony that was no more than 10 minutes or so.

You're right,  it isn't for me. IMO nearly all long books I've read, films & TV shows over 2 hours I've seen,  symphonies and other long bits of music I've heard I always think they would've been better for some judicious pruning. Viz classical I only really listen to shorter pieces, many of which do happen to come in under 10 mins. Back to Tool's 5 albums, there are some ok longer tracks which would've made cracking 4 minute songs.

Being a huge Tool fan since '94 (so not quite OGT from the first EP, but close) and having more money than sense these days, I did pre-order the gimmicky tat physical version, to go alongside the ltd. eds of all the other albums/Salival box set etc. Didn't pay any £80, though.

That's possibly why it hasn't turned up yet, leaving me in the curious position of still not actually believing this so-called "new album" actually exists.

In this era of post-truths, fake news and alternative facts, that seems perfectly plausible.

3 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Just downloaded the 87 minute version.
It sounds luvverly on first impression, but I'll postpone an opinion on the compositions.

I'd buy the 80 quid one if I trusted its long life, but I don't. Just 80 quid for a memory chip, plus an amp, plus a screen, plus one or two speakers plus a rechargeable battery? Reeks novelty and bad quality to me.

I always try to buy a physical copy but couldn't find a regular CD, and your post explains that bit. Thanks!

Now back to my music library! 🙂

I remember buying the "special edition" version of Aenima (and then selling it on!?), got the "special edition" copies of Lateralus & 10,000 Days on CD. The artwork is great, but I'm not so much of a fan of the music or the artwork, that I'd spend £80 on gadgets to watch some special effects / video footage etc. as well as a CD & a card to download the songs plus the "download only" songs. 

Anyway, Killing Joke are confirmed as the support for the US tour. That would be one hell of a gig to see!

I’m enjoying it so far, even the wooshy tracks (in conjunction with the whole thing as a piece, not in isolation so much).

Pneuma is great, title track is obviously cool, and Descending is pretty epic too.

Will require more listens to cement it all still, but yeah, enjoying it :)

Didn’t bother with the obsolete tech physical release, but will probably plump for a vinyl box-set if they do re-release all the albums (the irony of this is not lost on me). 

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

Just properly listened to 7empest again, beast of a tune that doesn't feel like 15mins IMO.
Anyone claiming that Maynard has fully mellowed hasn't gotten that far into the album.....just goes to show that it's all creative choices.

Si

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Just properly listened to 7empest again, beast of a tune that doesn't feel like 15mins IMO.
Anyone claiming that Maynard has fully mellowed hasn't gotten that far into the album.....just goes to show that it's all creative choices.

Si

Agreed, because he is more “sparse” the effect is greater. We should also not forget these guys are in their fifties now, so less angry more reflective is totally logical.

Still not bought it. 

I am old fashioned and I would prefer to buy a physical release, however there is no way I am paying £80 for a CD. So a download it is. 

Also, there is a really good interview by guitarist Adam Jones on the Chris Jericho podcast (he of Fozzy/pro wrestling fame). It might not be a thrilling listen for people who don't like Tool and/or pro wrestling. However, it is a really good podcast interview by Adam Jones covering his background, his approach to music videos, the background to how Tool started and his friendship with Tom Morello. It is also pretty much the only podcast interview ever done by Adam Jones.

On 01/09/2019 at 14:45, Chiliwailer said:

The percentage of bass players buying delay pedals may have gone up tenfold...

Its funny that. I've always had a fondness for delays on bass and long before I ever heard Tool. 

Funnily enough, I did a solo album last year and one of my mates said I'd went a bit Tool with this song. The fact I'm playing a Wal with delay on it is in no way a problem.

• Like 5

Yeah I've been on the receiving end of 'advice' that delay pedals and bass don't go together. Glad to be hearing a contrapoint to that view! 

Short delay to get slap back on certain tracks can work great IMO and whilst longer delay takes more skill to work in well, it's not something we should fear. In fact something to get innoculated over. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah I've been on the receiving end of 'advice' that delay pedals and bass don't go together. Glad to be hearing a contrapoint to that view! 

Short delay to get slap back on certain tracks can work great IMO and whilst longer delay takes more skill to work in well, it's not something we should fear. In fact something to get innoculated over. 

Delay on bass is also a great way to do post rock volume swells to make your bass sound like a dying whale. I used it to shockingly mediocre effect for a couple of years before I moved back to playing heavy riff rock.

1 hour ago, Wolverinebass said:

Its funny that. I've always had a fondness for delays on bass and long before I ever heard Tool. 

Funnily enough, I did a solo album last year and one of my mates said I'd went a bit Tool with this song. The fact I'm playing a Wal with delay on it is in no way a problem.

I'm liking that!  Good stuff, squire! 🙂

• Thanks 1

Have listened to this all the way through twice now. Great album with very accomplished musicianship.

The track I wanted to return to after listening through twice was 'Invincible', the fourth track in the album and for me the fulcrum around which the album hangs.

Evocative lyrics and melody line, combined with driving rhythm taking you back to an age when men led short brutish and often futile lives as battle fodder: "Warrior struggling to remain consequential".

At 6.48 it could have come to a natural end; but then they change-up the tempo with the same over-arching melodic theme and kept me gripped until the track finale at 12.40.

If I ever come close to writing anything 1% as good, I'll retire happy.

Downloaded it today, and it's another Tool album, nothing more, nothing less. No surprise.

There was something like a promise with the opening tune, a different route to take, but they decided to take the American highway were the speed limit is so low that nothing ever happens. Cruising quietly at the speed limit. 

Disappointed ? No as I was sure that they would make a mellow version of 10,000 Days. They just made a whole record in D with the same drum patterns, same guitar riffs, same bass lines, adding some misconception of electro music, and a superbly boring mastering.

But I do really like the first tune, even if I didn't bother reading its title.

Listened to the whole thing twice to come to the conclusion that I have another "family meeting" record to play.

Now let's get nailed by the hardcore fans. 🤪

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Have listened to this all the way through twice now. Great album with very accomplished musicianship.

The track I wanted to return to after listening through twice was 'Invincible', the fourth track in the album and for me the fulcrum around which the album hangs.

Evocative lyrics and melody line, combined with driving rhythm taking you back to an age when men led short brutish and often futile lives as battle fodder: "Warrior struggling to remain consequential".

At 6.48 it could have come to a natural end; but then they change-up the tempo with the same over-arching melodic theme and kept me gripped until the track finale at 12.40.

If I ever come close to writing anything 1% as good, I'll retire happy.

That is definitely the best song on the album. I would have been quiet happy if it were eight minutes long, as there is about four minutes worth of fat to lose there. The first half is good, and the grinding riff near the end is excellent. The middle part with the vocoder vocals is very hokey. 

Overall, it's not a bad record but it's not a masterpiece and it has plenty of the usual filler that Tool like to bang in. There are no real massive tracks in it, no 'Prison Sex' or 'Hooker with a pe nis'. It rather sounds as though they're still mining the same vein of creativity that they started with 'Lateralus', a record that should have started and ended with 'The Grudge'. 

I do expect that this will be their last record and that waiting 13 years to follow up a disappointing record like '10,000 Days' was always going to produce something that was rather a let down. 

Edited by Chris2112

1 hour ago, Chris2112 said:

a disappointing record like '10,000 Days'

Are you drunk?? 😂
I jest, each to their own of course, it's purely that I think 10,000 Days is as impressive as any of their records. 
The more I listen to Fear Inoculum, the more I think it's an incredibly good body of work, and it's always funny to me that people use songs like The Grudge as some sort of benchmark for their more refined moments (it's been referenced a couple of times in the thread I think, not just above)......it's 8 and a half minutes long haha.

Also a quick note on Hooker with a Pe nis & Prison Sex......they were 23 and 26 years ago respectively, not sure many artists are making the same art they did that long ago.....there seems to be this idea of 'massive' tracks being short tracks, Pneuma and 7empest are 'massive' tracks.....they're just not short lol.

I also see this album in the same way that I see the Klon pedal (for those aware of how it's creator views the hilarity of the pedals legacy), this album has never been touted as some swan song masterpiece by the band, they haven't waited for 13 years on purpose to then consciously drop what they describe as they best album ever.....that's all on the fans building up that narrative. The band have just lived their lives, and come back to do what they do when they've had the opportunity, they've written something that sounds like them now and makes them happy. The biggest criticism seems to be that 'it sounds like Tool, but there are no short bangers on it'.....I imagine that's what they were aiming for :)

As always, each to their own, it's fun to talk.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Anyone that says that x and y don't go together is not worth listening to (well, obviously unless its pineapple and pizza).

I run permanently on the HX effects with a very short slapback echo which fattens the sound, and I have a long tape echo for a couple of songs. Echo works great with bass.