Why become a member? ×

Say it quietly.....new Tool album coming

Graham

So, it looks like it's actually happening and the 30th of August will see the release of the fifth Tool album, who's title has just been announced as Fear Innoculum

Also, from this Friday almost all their back catalogue will be available on streaming sites.

I was getting worried that it had got to the end of July and no title had been announced or pre-orders available, but it looks like it's actually happening

• Like 4

Cautiously looking forward to it. I would like there to be a bit more variation to the songwriting than 70 minutes of open string drop D riffs in odd time signatures. 

I jest, should be great. Saw them at the Academy in Glasgow on the 10,000 Days tour in 2006. The venue was pretty small and they had a stripped back light show, so you could really just watch and listen to them play. It was a brilliant gig. Maynard was dressed in luminous orange suspenders and was wearing an oversized cowboy hat. Considering the gig was in the south side of Glasgow in the middle of summer he really didn't look out of place. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just waiting for the new album too. Hope it won't be as disappointing as the Primus one or the following Primus tour...

That said I've seen them in 2002 in Ettelbruck (Luxembourg) for the Inside the Outside tour and it was a total disaster as the were drunk, just because they couldn't get a decent sound in that crappy venue... The bar was well crowded that night, don't know why. 🤔 😁

Edited by Hellzero
Auxiliary mode verb helps...

8 hours ago, thodrik said:

70 minutes of open string drop D riffs in odd time signatures

I shall have to suggest this as our next album title.

We play soft-rock ballad covers.

• Haha 4

I saw them on the 10,000 days tour, and I saw them again this year at Download, which was equally as good. I'm not one of the crazy fanatics, but I do think there's a lot more to their music than most metal bands. 10,000 days is easily one of my favourite albums. Hopefully the new one is as good!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thodrik said:

I would like there to be a bit more variation to the songwriting than 70 minutes of open string drop D riffs in odd time signatures. 

I wonder if it could well be a bit like this - the two new tracks at Download were absolute bangers but were definitely not sing-along anthems. I surprised myself as I tend to prefer Tool's 'songs' rather than their instrumentals, but I thought these were excellent, particularly the interplay within the rhythm section.

Can't wait for the albums to come on to streaming though, this is great news.

18 hours ago, thodrik said:

Cautiously looking forward to it. I would like there to be a bit more variation to the songwriting than 70 minutes of open string drop D riffs in odd time signatures. 

I jest, should be great. Saw them at the Academy in Glasgow on the 10,000 Days tour in 2006. The venue was pretty small and they had a stripped back light show, so you could really just watch and listen to them play. It was a brilliant gig. Maynard was dressed in luminous orange suspenders and was wearing an oversized cowboy hat. Considering the gig was in the south side of Glasgow in the middle of summer he really didn't look out of place. 

I was at that gig - as well as Maynard's curious attire (and enormous bullhorn) I remember having a seagull sh!t on me while I was in the queue, and the sound being absolutely dreadful. The SECC show a few months later was visually spectacular, sounded superb and was utterly soulless by comparison.

Will be interested to hear the new album, assuming the announcement isn't one of their elaborate and typically unfunny pranks - but the two new songs they've been gigging recently don't demonstrate much progression over the last 13 years, unless you love repetitive, over-long atonal dirges. In drop D. :)

I feel a bit sad not being particularly excited about the album - I've been a fan since hearing Sober in 1993, and around the time of Ænima & Lateralus would have considered them my favourite band. But 13 years of sod-all* is a long time, and as it turns out, I'm a lot more excited about the new Opeth album in September.

*Would've been a better album title.

3 hours ago, Bassassin said:

I was at that gig - as well as Maynard's curious attire (and enormous bullhorn) I remember having a seagull sh!t on me while I was in the queue, and the sound being absolutely dreadful. The SECC show a few months later was visually spectacular, sounded superb and was utterly soulless by comparison.

Will be interested to hear the new album, assuming the announcement isn't one of their elaborate and typically unfunny pranks - but the two new songs they've been gigging recently don't demonstrate much progression over the last 13 years, unless you love repetitive, over-long atonal dirges. In drop D. :)

I feel a bit sad not being particularly excited about the album - I've been a fan since hearing Sober in 1993, and around the time of Ænima & Lateralus would have considered them my favourite band. But 13 years of sod-all* is a long time, and as it turns out, I'm a lot more excited about the new Opeth album in September.

*Would've been a better album title.

I think I am in a similar position. I was 20 when the last album came out and since then I have discovered so many awesome bands. I cant really put myself back into the position of 13 years ago to obtain the same level of excitement when Tool were one of my favourite current bands. Going to see them now would nearly feel like a nostalgia trip, which isn’t really the case when I go to see Opeth, Mastodon or even bands like Clutch or Corrosion of Conformity who have on the go about as long, or even longer, than Tool. 

I missed the SECC gig later in 2006, mostly because I had already seen Mastodon and Tool already that year and didn’t want to take a chance on SECC sound quality (also I was a student with no money). Heard it was a cracking gig though.

Title track from the new album:

First reaction - it's Tool, alright. No massive change in style or sonic palate over the last 13 years. Having said that, the intro must be one of their least Tool-y moments, although they don't really revisit that over the remainder of the song. There are some very familiar-sounding riffs, to the extent of sounding like specific other Tool songs. Maynard doesn't sound very interested a lot of the time.

As lead "single" this is likely as accessible as the album gets, and that's probably a good thing. I've only listened to it once, and being Tool, there's a lot to take in, so my initial impression will certainly change once I'm more familiar with it, and when I'm hearing it in the context of the album.

• Like 2

If I'm honest with myself, I think Tool have been on a downhill slope for years now. 10,000 Days was really bland and sounded like a selection of songs that weren't good enough for Lateralus. But then again, Lateralus was an over-long dirge fest with only a few great moments. It sounds as though this new record is more of the same, which is disappointing. 

The thing with Tool is that their big three albums, from Undertow to Lateralus, each contains a couple of great tracks and then a load of filler. But the high points are exceptional, as good as prog rock gets. The benefit of Tool going o. Spotify means that I can now do what I have talked about for years, which is putting all their best songs into one playlist and essentially making a Tool mega album. 

I have also found the continued obsession with Justin Chancellor intriguing. He has a number of extremely dedicated fans who have spent thousands trying to replicate his unremarkable tone. I always thought that Tool were a great band with a top drummer and a great singer bookended with a serviceable guitarist and bassist, who just happened to write the odd brilliant song. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

I have also found the continued obsession with Justin Chancellor intriguing. He has a number of extremely dedicated fans who have spent thousands trying to replicate his unremarkable tone.

Agreed - what's interesting is that Tool chose Chancellor (who they already knew from a UK band they'd toured with) because his playing style & tone were so similar to their previous bassist, Paul D'Amour. Half of Ænima was demo'd with D'Amour, Chancellor's playing on the album was note-for-note.

Of their previous albums, 10,000 Days is the one I listen to least - it was a bit disappointing at the time that they'd progressed so little from Lateralus, and as so much of the album is Keenan reflecting on his mother's sad life & subsequent death, I do find it a very depressing listen.

I've tried to like Tool over the years but their complete failure to say "All the girls go 'Owww, all the guys go 'woof!'" at any point, or to break it down to just handclaps with the whole band shouting "Ain't nuthin' but a party, babba!" just makes them a no-no for me.

Edited by Leonard Smalls
  • Haha 1

On 29/07/2019 at 22:51, Machines said:

I am missing Tool from my playlist as I only use Spotify. I think King Crimson are a new addition also. 

It's your lucky day!😊

There's now a pretty long 'This is Tool' playlist that went up at the weekend.