Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision 1989 MIJ thoughts...

Powertripper

Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm a longtime user of MIM and MIA Precisions but recently an 89 MIJ Precision has come up in my circles and I'm pondering selling something to get it because I've heard the built quality is second to none (other than perhaps MIA's, of course...) and I've had Jap basses before of different makes where this has certainly been the case. Of course it was all licensed and to spec anyway, but is there anything especially different about these? 

Thanks

I've owned a few MIJ basses, none specifically '89 but earlier and later productions and they have all been excellent.  Never been able to A/B with a US P bass but, if it means anything, my current P bass is an MIJ Bacchus that is probably the best P bass I've played.

I've had a few and they've all been great. I have 3 MIJ fenders at the moment and 3 USA ones. The MIJ ones probably have the edge. The neck of the 57 MIJ P bass I have is a joy to play. Buy with confidence, you'll be impressed..

I’ve had several MIJ Precisions from various years and they have all been very well made instruments.

It’s the consistency in quality that impresses me. I’ve had US models and some have been great but some have been pretty mediocre. The MIJ (or CIJ) models have all been great. So much so that I have another MIJ Steve Harris Blue Sparkle signature incoming. 😛

Edited by Deedee

I've 2 jap basses, a 84-87 Precision & a 90 Jazz. Both excellent and gig with them all the time. The only common complaint seems to be that the pickups are not as good as the US models hence these get swapped out a lot of the time but I've resisted this to keep them original. I must admit the 2016 Flea Jazz bass that I have has US pickups and they do sound a bit tasty! 

This is slightly tangential and I'm new here, but I offer my experience with late-'80s MIJ Fender guitars in case it is helpful.

I bought my first MIJ Strat new in 1987. I bought an identical guitar three years later. Build years were probably 1986 and 1989 respectively. They were both fantastic: very well constucted, with some of the tidiest wiring I have ever seen. At least as well built as the early-'80s US Precision I had at the time. I was distraught when I lost them.

The only difference between the two Strats was tonal, and it seemed to be down to the wood used. Both sounded good, but they did sound quite different through amps, played unamplified, and especially when I rapped the body with my knuckles. Possibly it was just chance that the differences were even noticeable. If the basses are like that, however, the inherent sound might vary quite a bit from one example to another. If it were my money, I'd want to be comfortable with how it sounds unplugged as well as amplified -- and, if satisfied, I'd be extremely optimistic.

Back in the days when the site was Bassworld and in the early days of the Basschat the MIJ / CIJ Fenders were raved about all the time. They don't get mentioned quite so much now, perhaps because they are less readily available.

My first bass & main instrument for 10-15yrs was an 1989 Fender MIJ Precision 57RI and it was stunning. Every MIJ I have owned has been great. The general consensus always used to be that they were a step up from the MIM range and many rivalled the US ones - although I think one has to appreciate that all tastes are purely subjective. I own 3 American basses now but my P-bass is a newer version of my old Fender MIJ 57RI because I always missed that first bass I owned.  

14 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Back in the days when the site was Bassworld and in the early days of the Basschat the MIJ / CIJ Fenders were raved about all the time. They don't get mentioned quite so much now, perhaps because they are less readily available.

My first bass & main instrument for 10-15yrs was an 1989 Fender MIJ Precision 57RI and it was stunning. Every MIJ I have owned has been great. The general consensus always used to be that they were a step up from the MIM range and many rivalled the US ones - although I think one has to appreciate that all tastes are purely subjective. I own 3 American basses now but my P-bass is a newer version of my old Fender MIJ 57RI because I always missed that first bass I owned.  

This ^^^^^^^^

Over the years, I've not had a bad MIJ/CIJ Fender. On the other hand, I've had one average and a few knock-out MIA Fenders. I've no experience with MIM Fenders.

• 2 weeks later...

Jap Fenders are tricky. 

Their build quality is always top notch, but sometimes you can find a bass with basswod body - especially in their 62 and 57 reissues with small tuners. What can I say - basswood is OK, but in my opinion a little dull sounding in classic P or J.

It's also lighweight to the point where bass looses it's ballance on strap (getting neck heavy) - that's why they used lighweight tunning keys.