Why become a member? ×

Steve Harris: Mic’ing Up

Dood

Anyone know off hand what mics are used and placement for SH’s EV loaded Bass Cabinets?

Its proving difficult to find out! The rest of the signal chain only took 2 minutes to find out!

I read an interview with Steve and he did mention that the EV’s didn’t do deep lows, true. That was certainly my understanding of the EVM12L too. 

I’d be interested to find out what the likes of Kevin Shirley et al chose to capture the tone. There are certain classic combinations I suppose and I’ll certainly just experiment here in my virtual world for fun, but ultimately just curious as I understand the variables involved with capturing a sound in a recording.

In my experience, placement of the mic can have as much of an effect on the result as mic choice. If I’m recording either my own or someone else’s bass cab, I like one mic close to the cone but off-axis and one about a metre away, and a straight DI signal too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2019 at 13:57, EBS_freak said:

It’s rock and roll. Stick a 58 in front of it (with dented grille - this is really important) and be done with you!

Presume you'd also take said unsuitable mic and hang it down vertically in front of the cab, so that you're micing off access and getting an even nastier sound?  Shudder.

There's a reason why proper engineers use a range of mics and deploy them in certain ways...

22 minutes ago, Alec said:

Presume you'd also take said unsuitable mic and hang it down vertically in front of the cab, so that you're micing off access and getting an even nastier sound?  Shudder.

There's a reason why proper engineers use a range of mics and deploy them in certain ways...

Its cool Alec, EBS is just joshing, he's a very capable engineer :) - but, to continue the banter, yeah, I've seen said micing practices. Only last year i played a massive outdoor gig and the ehem "professional" PA company turned down the option of a direct DI and no backline in preference of micing a 12" bass cone with a 57... but, there was so much distance between the microphone and cabinet i had plenty of space to place my bass, on stand, in between!!! Needless to say, the bass sounded rubbish. I'd have sent them a flat cab sim signal as well if they wanted, but the engineer got scared.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2019 at 18:07, bazzbass said:

the cardiod pattern is different too iirc iinm

I might very well be  but I believe anything around the capsule will affect the axial response. 

I have recently been using a Sontronics SOLO. And it is great for cab mic’ing  and vocals. 

g and vocals

12 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Haha I would not use a SM58 for vocals. It may be a standard but the standard was quite low when they were designed, 

My hero. At last somebody else is in agreement with me!

The only thing going for the 58 is the fact that every engineer worth their salt knows how to eq out their deficiencies. I’d rather take a 935 over a 58 if we are going bog standard dynamics.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2019 at 09:14, EBS_freak said:

My hero. At last somebody else is in agreement with me!

The only thing going for the 58 is the fact that every engineer worth their salt knows how to eq out their deficiencies. I’d rather take a 935 over a 58 if we are going bog standard dynamics.

I agree entirely the Sennheiser range as a whole are good the and 935 in particular, but the Sontronics  SOLO is now my go to Mic.