Why become a member? ×

High Action Question

Hobbayne

6 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

The action above the 7th fret on my P Bass has increased rapidly over the passed few weeks.

It still seems OK on the lower part of the neck.

Will lowering the action help? Or is this a truss rod tweak?

If it's just in the centre of the neck that would suggest it needs a truss rod adjustment. 

Although I'm my (granted somewhat limited) experience, getting the action right almost always requires a combination of the two. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Teebs said:

+1 Truss rod tweak.

The recent heat is most likely to blame.

Yes, Teebs and Reggaebass are quite likely to be correct
During the past few weeks, I've had the same thing happen to two of my basses
The 2nd one, whilst it was at my local guitar shop, just having been set up
They confirmed they'd had several guitars in the shop which this had happened to as well....

It also happened to me last year, but I think that was when the temperature had lowered suddenly. If you're not sure how to do it - perhaps ask a friendly local BC member?
And remember not to do too much adjustment each time. I've heard people talk about doing just a quarter turn every hour (or is it half hour?) to let things "settle". Also, don't be tempted to force the trussrod, if it feels really stiff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you tighten it, it will straighten the neck , but just do about a 1/4 turn or slightly less to start with and let it settle,  that’s how I’ve always done mine and they’ve all been fine, I play with a very low action so I have my necks straight, but it’s all personal choice 🙂

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

If you tighten it, it will straighten the neck , but just do about a 1/4 turn or slightly less to start with and let it settle,  that’s how I’ve always done mine and they’ve all been fine, I play with a very low action so I have my necks straight, but it’s all personal choice 🙂

Cheers Reggaebass. I will have to remove the neck to get to the adjuster, but will give it a go.

• Like 1