Why become a member? ×

BTB405 vs BB425

Guest MoJo

I’m looking to pick up a reasonably priced 5-string and based on my recent experience with an Ibanez BTB676, which was perfect in every way except that it had too many strings and weighed 11lbs. I’m considering a BTB405, although I am aware that this won’t have the Bartolini Mk2 pickups or the same active EQ as the BTB675/6. I also have the opportunity to buy back my Yamaha BB425. Has anyone had experience of both or just of the BTB405? What are your thoughts please?

Edited by MoJo

The most obvious difference is they’ll sound completely different. One is a passive P/J and the other is active with dual humbuckers...

One thing I’ll say is that the difference between lower and higher end Ibanez BTBs is much more noticeable than the difference between the lower and higher end Yamaha BBs. If going the BTB route I’d personally suggest going for the best model you can afford.

Neither the BTB range nor the BB range are famed for being lightweight so I’d rule that out as a deciding factor! The 5 string BTBs have 19mm string spacing at the bridge vs 18mm for the BB, which may or may not be important to you (it isn’t to me) however, the neck profiles are very different. The 5 string BTB necks feel significantly wider & flatter along the whole length of the neck compared to the BB but that won’t be a total shock given that you’ve tried the 6 string version already.

Ultimately what drew me away from the BTB range was that the majority of the music I listen to and play was recorded on P basses and J basses, so that’s where my tastes have turned these days. Your mileage may vary! 

33 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

If going the BTB route I’d personally suggest going for the best model you can afford.

I’ve looked for a BTB670, but they seem very thin on the ground

35 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Ultimately what drew me away from the BTB range was that the majority of the music I listen to and play was recorded on P basses and J basses, so that’s where my tastes have turned these days. Your mileage may vary! 

I’m a passive P/J man too but I did find the tones of the BTB676 pleasing, musical and useful 

38 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

The 5 string BTB necks feel significantly wider & flatter along the whole length of the neck compared to the BB but that won’t be a total shock given that you’ve tried the 6 string version already

I did like the wide flat profile of the BTB676 but feel equally at home on the rounder profile of the BB fretboard

Decisions, decisions

2 minutes ago, MoJo said:

I’ve looked for a BTB670, but they seem very thin on the ground

FWIW that model has been directly replaced by the BTB745 & 746. Weird that the supply of used 67x series seems to have dried up though - there was a time when they could easily and frequently be found!