Why become a member? ×

Please remind me: bass between a rectangle and a Thunderbird

BassTractor

Today a bass (I think) was almost seen on tv that I remember from days long gone, and it was obviously like a Thunderbird, but made so as to discern it from it, making for a more modest, more rectangular-like shape.

Anyone any idea what it could have been?
It's not an important question, but I'm trying to build up my memory again.

Thanks, folks! None of those I'm afraid.
Think of it as a bass that you immediately think is a Thunderbird, and then, milliseconds later, you realise it's a copy that tried to be just different enough. It's slightly in the direction of a rectangle - with for example a lesser pronounced lower horn than a real Thunderbird.
I think it existed in the seventies, but as my memory is lacking I cannot be sure. In case I think eighties is a fair guess.

In the mean time, I've done some more googling, and the Schecter Sixx Bass comes very close, see below, without being exactly the one I saw on tv, which seems slightly closer to a rectangle again and which had pronounced inlays in the neck.

Again, this is not important stuff. I'm just interested.
Thanks again!

Ngln1AD.jpg

Thanks, guys! As to @EssentialTension's Stormbird and @Chiliwailer's Non Reverse T-bird, I'd seen those earlier and then thought to myself that if they had had the typical Thunderbird non-reversed reversed non-reversedreversedness, they could be rather close.
The Cataldo too is close, but in my eye somewhat closer to a T-Bird again.

In the mean time, I've been trying to find the tv-programme online for a screenshot.
Will keep you updated.

Thanks! :hi:

Googling and googling, I found the same question on TalkBass, and there they didn't solve it. When I started this thread, I though it was a well-known bass and therefore easy, but now it seems to me this isn't easy at all.

So I think it's not worth the energy, and that it's best to put this at rest.

Thanks again, everyone!

Bert

(However, for those who love stuff like this and who are not gonna be stopped, let me try in different words:
Basically, it's a Thunderbird shape. No Non Reverse, no other things that make it weirder or more regular.
However, if you can see the Thunderbird as basically a bendy parallellogram, then this bass still is a bendy parallellogram but less pointy. As a result its body probably is wider, or seems wider.
Neck has large inlays (though that may have been an artefact of the resolution).
One-part bridge near end of body. It looked rectangular and chromey.
Two single-coil pups, or pups that look like them.
I saw no scratchplate, but it may have been there
Headstock not seen.)

1 minute ago, NancyJohnson said:

Rather than everyone posting photos, Bertie old boy, can you remember what you were watching? Channel etc.

*starts new thread: Please remind me: Tv program featuring a bass between a rectangle and a Thunderbird*

:D 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2