Why become a member? ×

First festival.....

Well the day has arrived. Probably sooner than I would like if I'm honest. 

But after forming just a few months ago, and having only ever done half a dozen low key, barbecue and local bar type gigs, today we're playing our first music festival. I just hope the nerves don't get to me too much. 

Wish me luck, I'm going in!

• Like 4

Have a good ‘un, I remember the first festival we did, it really was something else. Enjoy the whole day and make sure you stay hydrated, sounds very un Rock n roll but keeping hydrated will keep nerves at bay and the performance will be much easier, especially in the heat you’ve mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I can honestly say, after the self induced stress of getting set up through someone else's sound system, I thoroughly enjoyed that. The evening didn't go 100% according to plan. We were supposed to be the first band on at 7 o'clock. But due I think in part to the heat, there was absolutely no one there when we were due to play. So the organiser did a bit of a warm up set and we ended up going on about 9 o'clock once most of the crowd, and the other bands had arrived. 

We did an hour set, and although far from perfect, (mainly because the sound man didn't seem to know what he was doing) the band played a blinder and we went down really well. 

So much so that the drummer from the band that was supposed to follow us on broke his ankle dancing to our set. 

Oops! 

• Like 4

well done and be happy knowing it only gets easier and more fun :)

my current original band's first ever gig was at an outdoor music festival.

OK,it was a tent on the footpath outside a CD shop, but it WAS an outdoor festival, we just weren't on the main stage, they reserved that for Uke bands............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

well done and be happy knowing it only gets easier and more fun :)

my current original band's first ever gig was at an outdoor music festival.

OK,it was a tent on the footpath outside a CD shop, but it WAS an outdoor festival, we just weren't on the main stage, they reserved that for Uke bands............

Yeah this was an equally low key affair. Not exactly Glastonbury but a great chilled out atmosphere. 

IMG_20190728_102807_680.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, steantval said:

That picture should be on the no room for the bass player thread.

It would, except it was perfectly voluntary, and to be fair one of the guitarists (the only other member of the band that was wireless) joined me out front for most of the gig. I'm quite happy dancing around out front rather than being penned in on a small stage. 

I love festivals.

We did a festival the other year, the Acoustic Festival of Britain, and I got chatting to the legend that is Martin Turner of Wishbone Ash backstage (well, kind of backstage as we were playing in a massive tent). He was playing a ‘72 Ric (I have 2) and we discussed basses, amongst other things. As we were going onstage I asked our singer when and where at the festival Martin was playing and he said “on this stage, immediately after us”! We absolutely sh*t ourselves, but the gig was actually great. 

Martin’s set was fantastic (I helped him onstage with his gear) and what a lovely, warm, funny bloke. The evening turned out to be one of the best musical experiences of my entire life. And we got a great write up in Acoustic magazine too!

• Like 1