Why become a member? ×

New recording...

NancyJohnson

For about the last six months the new band have been embarking on recording sessions; it's been as weird and experimental as previously...four or five hours a week at times, I'd go in and just record bits, 4 bars of something, another 4 in a different time signature and repeat.  Wholly at the behest of the producer/guitarist, no idea what the end product will sound like, I'd wait for him to produce something.  A few days later he'd circulate MP3s.

So here we are.  Jonestown.  Link below.  I don't actually know who I'm channelling; there's some Geddy in there, for sure.  A bit of Stuart Hill.  A bit of Le Tigre, NIN.  Vocals have been an issue as the singer is flying globally with the new job, so difficult to tie him down. 

Ahead of whatever qualifies as a release we've circulated this track to radio, BBC Introducing and various music press people.  Our singer got this back from a music journalist he sent it to:

67333672_994064244135805_630920126297381

So anyway, this is where we start:

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 11

59 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I'm a fan already as you know and it's great to hear some new Lutz material. Is this the final mix?

I listened to it with some decent cans and I can't help thinking your bass could do with being a bit more front and centre.

I can't make my mind up whether it's that or the snare needs raking back bit; maybe a bit of both?

Everyone hears things a little differently, so it might just be me.

The bass was a lot more forward in the mix before this one and I actually asked for it to come down.  The bit that's at about the 30 second mark (which is very Rush-ish, and repeated elsewhere) could do with being a little louder, but otherwise I'm pretty happy overall.  The rest of the new stuff is on par with this track and just general weirdness...we have something called Borodino that should be finished midweek that's best described as polka-metal-electronica.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I'm a fan already as you know and it's great to hear some new Lutz material. Is this the final mix?

I listened to it with some decent cans and I can't help thinking your bass could do with being a bit more front and centre.

I can't make my mind up whether it's that or the snare needs raking back bit; maybe a bit of both?

Everyone hears things a little differently, so it might just be me.

I think the drums are perfect as they are. They totally drive the song in a Ministry or Therapy? kind of way. Not comparing it to either of those bands though, I don't much care for comparisons, "ooh it sounds just like so and so", f**k off, we spent ages making it sound like us

Even better on further listens. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Oh f*ck. That looks nasty. Sorry to hear this mate.

Well, at least he's alive.  Left arm broken in two places between his shoulder and elbow, plus he's left handed.

He texted me about half hour ago, explaining that while it was hurty and he'd only got three hours kip, his main concern was how he was going to wipe his bottom after a poop.

• Haha 1

Just back from the guitarist's house.  Said he was moving past stationary traffic on his motorbike and a woman just pulled out of her drive, through a gap in the traffic and hit him full on his left side.  He was only about a half mile from home too.

He's feeling very fed up, understandably.  He hasn't had a poop yet either.

Great track, real energy and drive to it. Very tasty bass lines, I especially like that!! Love the samples and so on. Particularly interested in how your project works with someone splicing parts together, would love to do something like that myself! Really original sound, hope it goes from strength to strength (once the guitarist heals, hope he gets better fast!) 

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Great track, real energy and drive to it. Very tasty bass lines, I especially like that!! Love the samples and so on. Particularly interested in how your project works with someone splicing parts together, would love to do something like that myself! Really original sound, hope it goes from strength to strength (once the guitarist heals, hope he gets better fast!) 

I'll admit we borrowed from Public Service Broadcasting on a sampling level, but musically we're totally different.   Umm, the process?  We don't write in the construct of a regular band; the guitarist just records and records constantly, I'll pop over to his home studio without the slightest idea of what he's done, he'll loop sections of music of which I'll track bass against on the fly and all the while he's recording everything.  We'll cut and paste my content and then I'll rerecord.  I'll do a four or five hour session, then go home.

A few days later a rough arrangement will arrive.  I'll go his studio the following week, we'll fix the recordings of the previous week and then record more.  And repeat.  At this point it's just guitar/bass/drums (some live, some MIDI, some live loops) and maybe some keyboards.  At this juncture, we just start arseing around; guitarist has terrabytes of samples, noises etc. which we'll just start dropping in to complete the music.  Once we have this, we decide the subjectmatter, locate voice samples and just drop them in.  It's really easier than it actually sounds.  On Jonestown, that's actually Jim Jones talking, just prior to giving the instruction to his followers to drink the flavour-aid.  It's harrowing. 

Well this was interesting.  Jonestown got at airing on New Music Saturday last week.  The guys who do the show post all their content up...if you're quick, the bit we're on on will be towards the top (if it's a few weeks after this post, you'll need to scroll down the pop-up).  Locate the showpiece that reads 'Interview with Cut Throat Francis' and scroll along an to hour and 22 minutes.   To be honest, these guys have been very supportive in the past and their response after it finishes was laugh out loud priceless.

https://www.newmusicsaturday.com/?fbclid=IwAR2W3atJmRjgEXuibVoTry0bDC7Hs1KgU_njw4tu3mzE2t-gKRgFwVq45w8

• 5 months later...