Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Supercompact plus One10 stack?

Tradfusion

Thanks for all the replies everyone, especially to those who have actually tried the combination... I dont have a One10 yet but I plan on getting one in the future and it sounds like I'm safe enough stacking it with my Supercompact as long as I'm not tearing the a**e out it volume wise... That wasn't the plan anyway, I generally dont require huge volume in the bands I play with so its more about the tone... in saying that I had a few louder than normal festival type gigs earlier in the summer when I really just need to move alot more air than usual so I committed the mortal sin of stacking my SC along with a non Barefaced cab, a TC RS210.. my head is a Quilter BB800... odd as it sounds the combination worked great, tons of volume but really decent phat and punchy tone too.. and I had the Supercompact sitting on top of the 2x10!!  I had a ton of compliments about my bass tone from the other lads in the band with that rig, and they never give out compliments!! .. go figure :crazy:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stevie said:

This is good advice.

I'm going to put the counter, if I may, which is:

1) you have a 12" and 10" cab moving air, not one 12". 

2) the one 10 can handle up to 500W clean. Add a matching 500W through the SC (assuming they are both 8 ohm iirc) and you have 1000W power handling capacity.

3) Most amps max out at below that and who dials up their amps to 10/10 anyway? Most likely you're going to be putting nearer 200W to 250W (max) through each and still being very loud. 

4) You also have the higher frequency range of the one 10 on tap. 

5) If TJ is actually using this in practice, seems to me that's a vote of confidence of actual experience over theoretical objections?

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'm going to put the counter, if I may, which is:

1) you have a 12" and 10" cab moving air, not one 12". 

2) the one 10 can handle up to 500W clean. Add a matching 500W through the SC (assuming they are both 8 ohm iirc) and you have 1000W power handling capacity.

3) Most amps max out at below that and who dials up their amps to 10/10 anyway? Most likely you're going to be putting nearer 200W to 250W (max) through each and still being very loud. 

4) You also have the higher frequency range of the one 10 on tap. 

5) If TJ is actually using this in practice, seems to me that's a vote of confidence of actual experience over theoretical objections?

1) Fine for bass frequencies, not so great for midrange, but I take your point. You'll get a slight sensitivity increase.

2) The one 10 is a 200 watt cab. The SC is a 400 watt cab. (Barefaced exaggerate their power ratings.) So you have 600W total power handling capacity but are limited to 400 watts in practice, which is what Frank is saying. So you really haven't gained anything.

3) Yes, you're going to be putting 2 x 200 watts through each cab if you have two. Or 400 watts if you have one. This is my point.

4) There's not much difference in the HF response of the SC and the One 10.

5) If TJ said the earth was round, would you take that as a vote of confidence over theoretical objections? He's entitled to his opinion.

Where’s the suggestion that barefaced over exaggerate the power handling on their cabs? I’ve not come across that before online?

My experience is it sounds great and it doesn’t overload the One10. But I’m sensible with it. If you gun it and open the master on my T900 I’m sure it’ll shred the One10, but I’d turn it down within a moment of hearing so if that were the case. 

Ultimately, the thread’s about pairing the two. It’s not scientifically perfect, it’s not the best suggestion, but it works if you have both cabs or want the versatility of those two different sizes of cabs. Or indeed if you enjoy the sound, which is the most important thing of all. 

That’s all I have I’m afraid, video coming tonight!

Kicking genuine Bi amping into touch, aside from old Gibson and some Marshall (I think) guitar cabs that combined 10s and 12s for a swirling, vibra phase shift effect - are there any Bass Can manufacturers popping a 10” and a 12” in the same cab?

I'm packing up to go on holiday, guys. So we'll have to discuss speaker power handling another time.

And I'm not saying those of you who are using this combination are not getting a good sound. Just that if you have a 400W cab like the OP, it's not a great idea to buy a 200W cab to run it with. Better to get a (matching) 400W cab.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stevie said:

I'm packing up to go on holiday, guys. So we'll have to discuss speaker power handling another time.

And I'm not saying those of you who are using this combination are not getting a good sound. Just that if you have a 400W cab like the OP, it's not a great idea to buy a 200W cab to run it with. Better to get a (matching) 400W cab.

Totally! Matching cabs is definitely the way to go. I’d probably run two identical cabs if I’d always intended to run them together - it was more of a happy accident haha. Have a great holiday! 

2 hours ago, stevie said:

Can't argue with that!

Have to admit if I was looking to pair my BF SC with another cab it would likely be either another BF SC or the BF SM which chris_b is finding works really well as a pairing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stevie said:

1) Fine for bass frequencies, not so great for midrange, but I take your point. You'll get a slight sensitivity increase.

2) The one 10 is a 200 watt cab. The SC is a 400 watt cab. (Barefaced exaggerate their power ratings.) So you have 600W total power handling capacity but are limited to 400 watts in practice, which is what Frank is saying. So you really haven't gained anything.

3) Yes, you're going to be putting 2 x 200 watts through each cab if you have two. Or 400 watts if you have one. This is my point.

4) There's not much difference in the HF response of the SC and the One 10.

5) If TJ said the earth was round, would you take that as a vote of confidence over theoretical objections? He's entitled to his opinion.

2) What's the basis of saying that BF are exaggerating?

4) Agreed -  I was getting confused with the BF SM which is the compact BF with the higher HF freq response

5) I also believe the earth to be round and not flat. But hey maybe that's just me and TJ? 😁

I do fully agree with your subsequent post that if you were putting two cabs together then similar speaker sizes / power ratings and makes, seem to provide the safest option.

Have a good hols! :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

Interestingly, I've found recently that mixing drive unit sizes is not always a bad thing. I have a couple of Phil Jones C4s (four 5" drivers in each). I love the tone, but find they can lack a little weight at higher levels. I bought a Berg 1x12 a couple of weeks back (from BC's own obbm) to add the necessary clout and find the combination excellent. Tonally, they are quite similar, apart from the extra bottom end from the Berg'. The combination sounds pretty spiffing to my ears. 

6 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Tonally, they are quite similar, apart from the extra bottom end from the Berg'.

If they are quite similar, this makes me wonder how the Berg 1x12 sounds on its own, or how do you think things would sound if there were two of them (without the C4)?
In other words, what is the Phil Jones C4 contributing to the setup?

2 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

If they are quite similar, this makes me wonder how the Berg 1x12 sounds on its own, or how do you think things would sound if there were two of them (without the C4)?
In other words, what is the Phil Jones C4 contributing to the setup?

They're (I use two of them) contributing plenty. The Berg on its own doesn't have the air or midrange clarity they do. I don't like tweeters for bass - play flats and use a slightly higher action because I loathe clanking, fret rattle/buzz and the like. They also have some weight, but the Berg enhances it. It sounds good on its own, but not as good as the combination. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 28/07/2019 at 18:11, Tradfusion said:

…so I committed the mortal sin of stacking my SC along with a non Barefaced cab, a TC RS210.. my head is a Quilter BB800... odd as it sounds the combination worked great, tons of volume but really decent phat and punchy tone too.. and I had the Supercompact sitting on top of the 2x10!! 

I tried a similar trick with my new SC and my old RS212 earlier with the 212 on its side. It was very very beefy. Way punchier than having the RS212 upright with the RS210 on top. I think I have have a plan for the foreseeable, but will end up doing what most people do and get another Barefaced. They are just sooo good. I also use a BB800. 

• Like 1