Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Supercompact plus One10 stack?

Tradfusion

I'm sure this has probably been answered somewhere but I cant find the post... Has anyone gigged this combination? Liked it or hated it? I have read that Barefaced dont recommend mixing the 10 and 12 " drivers etc but someone must have tried it anyway just for pig iron 😛

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

I have a supercompact and midget set up and it sounds amazing, would recommend to anyone.

My favourite BF pairing so far is my Super Compact and Super Midget.

The SC is rated at 600 watts and the One10 is rated at 200 watts, so I don't see how the One10 can make a realistic contribution to the sound before the SC just overwhelms it.

Edit

. . . . on the other hand - there is a similar question over on Talkbass and some have tried mixing a Super Compact and One10 and like it. So I guess you should give it a go.

Edited by chris_b

I want to try to reduce the onstage sound from my BB2, which I'm pretty much on top of, so I'm going to try using a One10 pointed up at me on stage and put the BB2 by one of the PA speakers. Should be an interesting experiment.

30 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I'm going to try using a One10 pointed up at me on stage and put the BB2 by one of the PA speakers. Should be an interesting experiment.

Is the BB2 facing in or out? Either way, what purpose would that serve?

Let us know how it works out, but what I did when I was in  a similar situation was sell the BB2 & One10, and get a powered wedge speaker (or in-ears).

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

The SC is rated at 600 watts and the One10 is rated at 200 watts, so I don't see how the One10 can make a realistic contribution to the sound before the SC just overwhelms it.

I think I agree with you re what is the the point of the mixed setup - but fwiw the One10 can take up to 500W.

I suppose at lower volumes, perhaps the blend of SC and One10 sounds nice?  I.e. one does it for the tone, not extra volume.

11 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Is the BB2 facing in or out? Either way, what purpose would that serve?

Let us know how it works out, but what I did when I was in  a similar situation was sell the BB2 & One10, and get a powered wedge speaker (or in-ears).

The One10 is a monitor for me. The BB2 is the FOH speaker for the bass. Our PA can't do bass.

I’ve used an SC+One10 combination and it sounds really very good IMO. So long as you’re sensible with the power being fed the One10 rounds off the SCs harsher mids. The one thing I would say is that one time I did this it was without PA support so moving extra air was just the right thing to do but I actually don’t know how it transposed itself out into the room. Where I was standing sounded fine though :)

If instead of daisy chaining the two cabs, you route your bass to each via a small mixer (or an AB/Y pedal that has independent vol control for each output), you can adjust the output to allow for the different power handling of the two cabs / different volume requirements for on stage monitoring vs FOH.

• Like 1

I’m waiting for an opportunity to run a rig with both my One10s and my SC, I’ll run the SC clean and the One10 stack overdriven. It’ll be ace. Completely different to the aims of this thread but fun nonetheless 😎

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

If instead of daisy chaining the two cabs, you route your bass to each via a small mixer (or an AB/Y pedal that has independent vol control for each output), you can adjust the output to allow for the different power handling of the two cabs / different volume requirements for on stage monitoring vs FOH.

Sound like a convenient solution...but at gigging volumes, pumping hundreds of watts through an AB/Y pedal designed for instrument level signal surely can’t be good? I’m no expert but it doesn’t sound too healthy to me! Probably works fine for low volume levels? Calling @obbm / @Bill Fitzmaurice?

I run my Super Midget and One10 together a lot. To be honest, the more you pump through it the better it sounds. The One10 can definitely take a lot more than the original 200w it was rated at, and I believe Barefaced have since upped its rated wattage - mine is the first made with a silver grill cloth. I really dug the time last time I used the combination and I always have. I very much would define it as having the rounded punchy sound of the One10 but with added bottom from the SM and a little more clarity from the SM tweeter. I actually think they compliment each other pretty well. SC + One10 should be very similar but with a little more natural bass response. 

Sounds like this would be a good video for my YT channel this week - I’ll see if I can get a SM + One10 vid recorded either tomorrow or Monday. I’ll post it here if it makes it to fruition! 

• Like 2

Just to clarify my last post - I have a pair of one10s, a BB2 and a SM.

They all sound great in all combinations at low/medium volumes, but for a gig, I personally wouldn't mix speaker sizes.  My favourite combination is the BB2 with the SM although I rarely have a need for that much volume.  Of course, volume isn't the only reason for a pair of speakers - the BB2 with SM has a lovely airy rich tone.

As an aside, a pair of one10s sounds noticably sweeter than a single one10. (As good as a single one10 is. :))

Frank.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I doubt very much that a mixer would want to deal with speaker-level voltages.

I have alternative things I can try if this experiment doesn't quite work out (as opposed to being a dismal failure) - running separate amps for each cab is quite simple (and I have a spare amp or two), but involves more wiring, and I want to keep things to a minimum.

I currently have two speakers connected up as follows: normal amp out --> Mooer Y/AB pedal --> 2 separate cabs. I've set it up in this way for me to easily A/B the two cabs, one at a time.

Doesn't seem to be causing the passive Mooer pedal any issues whatsover.

The Mooer is a relatively cheap unsophisticated AB/Y pedal and doesn't have a volume control.

I suspect that a Boss LS-2 could do the job here - certainly in terms of sending its output to both cabs at the same time, and also has volume controls.

Edited by Al Krow

25 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I currently have two speakers connected up as follows: normal amp out --> Mooer Y/AB pedal --> 2 separate cabs. I've set it up in this way for me to easily A/B the two cabs, one at a time.

Doesn't seem to be causing the passive Mooer pedal any issues whatsover.

The Mooer is a relatively cheap unsophisticated AB/Y pedal and doesn't have a volume control.

I suspect that a Boss LS-2 could do the job here - certainly in terms of sending its output to both cabs at the same time, and also has volume controls.

Boss LS2 is designed for instrument level signals not speaker size volts. If you want to use it then it needs to be before any power amps so you would need 2 power amps, each of which would have a volume control so the LS2 becomes superfluous.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, obbm said:

Boss LS2 is designed for instrument level signals not speaker size volts. If you want to use it then it needs to be before any power amps so you would need 2 power amps, each of which would have a volume control so the LS2 becomes superfluous.

Thanks for that. Two follow up Qs, if I may:

- is my passive Mooer AB/Y able to handle speaker size volts, without getting fried, because it's purely acting as a passive switch in the way I have it set up?

- appreciate that typically a DI out from the amp which pre/post pre amp and not post power amp is what is fed into a mixer. Have you come across any mixers or simple splitters with volume controls that are able to hand speaker size volts? Or even a simple volume control that can attenuate the output from a power amp?

28 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks for that. Two follow up Qs, if I may:

- is my passive Mooer AB/Y able to handle speaker size volts, without getting fried, because it's purely acting as a passive switch in the way I have it set up?

- appreciate that typically a DI out from the amp which pre/post pre amp and not post power amp is what is fed into a mixer. Have you come across any mixers or simple splitters with volume controls that are able to hand speaker size volts? Or even a simple volume control that can attenuate the output from a power amp?

Although the spec sheet says the Mooer can handle speakers they don't say how much power (amperes through the switches) it can take before it explodes.    It's probably fine for low wattage guitar amps however I doubt that it can take 500-watts from a bass amp.  I would contact them and ask what the upper limits are.

In answer to point 2, I've never come across a speaker level mixer.  If you are running a bass amp at a modest 200-watts and you want to attenuate that by 50% then 100-watts is going to be absorbed by the attenuator/volume control which means it will get very hot.  Think about how hot a 100-watt tungsten light bulb gets.  There are such devices for guitar amps such as these (https://www.thomann.de/gb/attenuators.html)  however they will not handle bass amp power outputs.  As I said previously the simplest, easiest and  cheapest solution is to run a second power amp/bass head in parallel with your bass head.

Not what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that.

The Mooer has been routing around 150W to 250W (best guess) from my 600W Mesa M6 head for a couple of weeks without breaking into a sweat so far, but maybe it's not going to last! 

On the plus side it wasn't getting any use from me before this so at least it's going to a glorious end... 😁

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The other 'simple' solution I guess is a twin channel amp. 

Be careful!  Most twin channel amps are 2 pre-amps and a single power amp.  What you need is a single channel pre-amp and 2 power amps, each with its own volume control.

Alternatively use 2 x bass heads and route the effects sends to a switch or mixer and then back to the effects return.  You then have individual control of each power amp volume and can switch between the 2 pre-amps.

Yup agreed. The Eich T1000 looks like just the ticket - single input with two separate 500W outputs each with independent volume control.

Image result for eich t1000

Apologies for the complete thread sidetrack to the OP and a much more expensive 'solution' than you're likely looking for! 

• Like 1

I still think you may be looking for a solution to a problem which in practice doesn't exist. So long as the OP isn't running a 1000w full tilt, I think he'll be happy with the combination, which whilst maybe scientifically imperfect, does work incredibly well! I run mine with an Eich T900 at up to 50% on the master happily. Just be sensible and listen out for strain from your cabs, as always.

Edited by TJ Spicer
  • Like 2