Why become a member? ×

Markbass amp not working.....!

Chewie

Hello everybody,

I’m looking at a Markbass 310 combo tomorrow.  Not the MM one.

The amp doesn't come on in the combo.

The guy says he’s tried changing the fuse to no avail.  It keeps blowing the fuse.

Does anybody out there know how to fix this?

Much appreciated,

Current authorised repair in the UK is by Real Electronics in Sheffield.  They charge a £35 fee to diagnose the fault and then advise how much repair will cost (parts and labour plus VAT and a £15 postage fee).  They deduct the £35 from the repair bill if you use them to fix the issue.

Edited by franzbassist

14 minutes ago, ikay said:

Google throws up quite a few results on Markbass amps blowing fuses. Generally outcome seems to be sending it to Proel for repair. There's a thread on BC here: 

Cheers Ikay.

Much appreciated.

4 minutes ago, franzbassist said:

Current authorised repair in the UK is by Real Electronics in Sheffield.  They charge a £35 fee to diagnose the fault and then advise how much repair will cost (parts and labour plus VAT and a £15 postage fee).  They deduct the £35 from the repair bill if you use them to fix the issue.

Thanks buddy

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Has he looked inside?

There are lots of elements with push-fit connectors in there. My DI went down recently and I had a quick look- a multicore strip had worked its way loose between two of the boards, so I popped it back on, blew out a bit of dust, and gave it a squirt of switch cleaner in all the jacks for good measure. I'm in the middle of moving house so my XLRs are in a different place to my amps and desk, so the 'repair' is untested, but the point is that it really could be something very simple that even an idiot like me can sort. Anything cleverer than that and I can't help, but it's worth a look just in case.

If you need to contact the distributor it is now MSL Professional rather than Proel. I had a deal with Markbass when they were with Proel, and they changed over when I was having a slow year due to family issues. Not enough big gigs at the time to stay on the books! 😄

Thanks Jus....... fingers crossed.

4 hours ago, Chewie said:

Just spoke to them and they predict a board needs replacing......  £200 round trip to Sheffield for the amp.  

Mmmmm....

Markbass.......

Which is about the going rate for MB repairs, between £160 and 200. Good bargaining chip though. At the end of the day no-one can tell you what is up with it without having it in their hot sweaty mits. Fuse blowing is likely to be component failure.

On 26/07/2019 at 11:43, franzbassist said:

Thanks Franz

On 26/07/2019 at 12:30, Chewie said:

Just spoke to them and they predict a board needs replacing......  £200 round trip to Sheffield for the amp.  

Mmmmm....

Markbass.......

I have a markbass amp in the loft as I face precisely the same conundrum. 

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I have a markbass amp in the loft as I face precisely the same conundrum. 

I’ve just ordered a new power board from Sheffield and I’m having it installed locally by an amp tech here.  I’ll keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

My pleasure,

Let me know how you get on Stewblack.

I wonder how many other dormant Markbass amps are out there?

If you need somebody to fit it, there is a chap in Swindon which did mine.

He's a bit of an oddball, as most of these amp tech characters are (apparently) but he has a professional reputation in the area.

Chewie

1 hour ago, Chewie said:

My pleasure,

Let me know how you get on Stewblack.

I wonder how many other dormant Markbass amps are out there?

If you need somebody to fit it, there is a chap in Swindon which did mine.

He's a bit of an oddball, as most of these amp tech characters are (apparently) but he has a professional reputation in the area.

Chewie

Even better as I gig regularly in Swindon