Why become a member? ×

Studio on the cheap??

TheGreek

The organisation I work for has an unused building - we'd like to covert one of the rooms into a small studio. Budget??? Nothing....

Any tips for inexpensive soundproofing, etc?

JOOI the room in question is about 10" square - I'm worried about overheating when there's more than 2 people in it.

How sound proof is the room at the moment and what level of sound is expected to be produced inside (just recordings being played on the monitor speakers or a full live band with amps and drums) and how much/little sound leakage from the room will be deemed acceptable?

Edited by BigRedX

Electronic drums and all instruments plugged straight into a mixer with enough outputs so everyone can have their own monitor mix.  Cheap stereo or headphone amp for each musician and a set of headphones.  Absolutely brilliant!  The only thing that will be loudish in the room will be vocals.  It will be cheaper than trying to soundproof a room as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bertbass said:

Electronic drums and all instruments plugged straight into a mixer with enough outputs so everyone can have their own monitor mix.  Cheap stereo or headphone amp for each musician and a set of headphones.  Absolutely brilliant!  The only thing that will be loudish in the room will be vocals.  It will be cheaper than trying to soundproof a room as well.

This is the way my band has gone. The floor space taken up by an electronic drum kit, compared to an acoustic one, is a big plus in a small room.

1 hour ago, bertbass said:

If it's not a ground floor room with a solid floor you will need to do something about the kick drum pedal. I speak from experience.

• Like 1