Why become a member? ×

Markbass CMD121 combo and NYC 151 cab

yorks5stringer

Hi Guys

I've come to the conclusion all I need to be happy with my sound is the CMD121P combo and to augment it with the 121 cab when necessary. I had the 121 cab but due to the gigs I was doing did not need it and sold on here. Fast Forward a couple of years and I'm sure that is what I now need as some of the gigs are a bit bigger now. Naturally can't see any in the classifieds  currently but I'm wondering if  a NYC151 would work as well? Obviously I'd have to see if I can live with the cab size difference but soundwise it would just add a bit more presence I guess than the 121? Both 8 ohms so a full 500 watts,  but anything I've not thought of?

13 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Hi Guys

I've come to the conclusion all I need to be happy with my sound is the CMD121P combo and to augment it with the 121 cab when necessary. I had the 121 cab but due to the gigs I was doing did not need it and sold on here. Fast Forward a couple of years and I'm sure that is what I now need as some of the gigs are a bit bigger now. Naturally can't see any in the classifieds  currently but I'm wondering if  a NYC151 would work as well? Obviously I'd have to see if I can live with the cab size difference but soundwise it would just add a bit more presence I guess than the 121? Both 8 ohms so a full 500 watts,  but anything I've not thought of?

I'm sure it'll be fine with a bit of EQing, as long as you can manage aesthetically!

Has the 151 got the tweeter and L pad like the 121?  I bypassed the tweeter in the combo due to the excessive hiss and rely on the one in the 121 when I need to.

The 151 is about 8.5cm wider than the combo, so the latter should sit nicely atop the former.  Should look something like this?  Image result for markbass combo stack

Yes they won't match exactly, but does it really matter if it sounds good?

I've mixed driver sizes many times over the years and never thought it sounded bad.  More than anything, I think the 15 will just make your sound "bigger" and more rounded.

If I was running said setup I'd dial the piezo out of one of the cabs entirely, probably the combo.  I might also think about angling the combo up so that it becomes more like a monitor.  This might also detract visually from the different speaker sizes ;)