Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tone Hammer head or preamp pedal?

Friskydingo

I’ve had both, the only downside to the pedal is that engaging the AGS comes with a huge volume increase, so it can’t be used mid-song to add in some gain. Other than that both are great, depends on your needs really but having the pedal means you can get your sound from it then be able to plug it into any other set up and always have your sound. But if you’re always going to be using your own rig then that’s not a factor to bother with. Re the amp, well depending on how loud your band is a consideration as to get very loud the amp has to be run with gain/drive.

What bass are you using? My (albeit limited) experience of the tonehammer  head is that it is fussy with active basses. I tried one in the shop with a high end active G&L and it sounded terrible. With a low-mid range passive Fender P bass it was pretty nice.  Hope that helps.

The volume boost of the AGS switch is not necessarily a downside of the pedal if just comparing to the amp, since the amp has no such switch. Aguilar really should have put that control on a toggle switch instead, there'd be a lot less complaints!

The main difference is the drive control on the head is like a variable AGS switch. As you increase it, it applies a speaker-like EQ to roll off the top end as well as the deepest lows, as well as determining how much overdrive the gain control produces (i.e. with drive off, the gain control is just a clean volume boost).

The head also has a -10dB pad for active basses that the pedal doesn't.

I'd go for the head, unless you plan on using it a lot at home as a preamp/DI for practice/recording - the fan noise of the TH500 I had was rather annoying!

@Friskydingo

check out the description of what the TH DI can offer in this thread linked below. It might help decide if a pedal based version has a few more options for what you need. I’ve not used the head version but I do like the pedal for the extra bit of color it can add to my amp or at amp shared gigs. I normally keep the AGS mode engaged and have it balanced volume wise to sit equall(ish) to the clean or just leave it on as the basic always on sound (AGS Engaged) when I’m wanting a bit more edge to the basic tone. It also works as a great clean preamp if that’s needed too - just be aware of the volume boost as it not ideal as a stomp box type effect to switch between AGS off and on. I think it been designed to be used as a clean pre or a ‘amp-like pre’ but not both on the same song!

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1