Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie Subway D800

rumblefish

A word of warning to all you owners of the Mesa Boogie Subway amplifiers.

I have gigged my MB Subway D800 for a couple of years ,enjoying the portability over my MB MPulse 600 for the smaller gigs. 

Although these amplifiers come with a very good PC style carry case the ease of carrying them in the case leads one to think that the case will protect the amp to transport it when gigging.

The controls of my amp were damaged when it was knocked on the main facia plate whilst in the PC style case although there was no noticeable visual damage.

The excellent team at Mesa Boogie Westside Distribution in Glasgow did a fine job of repairing the damaged controls.

I would suggest that you purchase a small flight case when you are transporting the amplifier just to be on the safe side,lesson learnt the hard way :0(

• Like 2

Agreed, when using any soft case with any amplifier, you do need to be careful when you and especially when others are handling your gear. This problem is not unique to the Subway amps, we see it on all brands and models but on the heavier models the damage tends to be more obvious (and more costly to repair). Glad you got it resolved, Westside has a very comprehensive and capable service department.

On 24/07/2019 at 22:09, rumblefish said:

I have gigged my MB Subway D800 for a couple of years ,enjoying the portability over my MB MPulse 600 for the smaller gigs. 

Although these amplifiers come with a very good PC style carry case the ease of carrying them in the case leads one to think that the case will protect the amp to transport it when gigging.

The controls of my amp were damaged when it was knocked on the main facia plate whilst in the PC style case although there was no noticeable visual damage.

The excellent team at Mesa Boogie Westside Distribution in Glasgow did a fine job of repairing the damaged controls.

I would suggest that you purchase a small flight case when you are transporting the amplifier just to be on the safe side,lesson learnt the hard way :0(

I never used the original bag, it doesn't look bad but it's thin and offers little protection as you found out. 

I bought a plastic tool case with precubed foam that you can cut easily to shape. Not expensive and works quite well

20181018_105746.jpg?dl=1

20181018_105815.jpg?dl=1

20181018_105830.jpg?dl=1

• Like 2

On 24/07/2019 at 23:09, rumblefish said:

Yes, mine is in a case as well. I didn’t trust the bag, now I know why.... thx.

To be fair, the bag is no worse than bags provided by many other manufacturers... *IF* they even provide one!

It's a nice touch. Like buying a guitar and getting a gigbag with it. I can use it, but it's not designed for every kind of use. For my guitars I use either a Hiscox hardcase or a Fusion F1 hybrid depending on the level of protection I need. With amplifiers is the same. If I spend >£1000 on an amplifier, adding and extra £50 for a decent case is not much of a problem. The one I ended up using was actually around £30 and while I wouldn't want to run a car over it, it protects it against the kind of common hits you may get in a band bus, with enough padding inside to absorb the impact from any reasonable drop. 

The bag that came with my old TC RH450 started to come apart at the seams on the very FIRST time I took it out. At least the Mesa one looks a bit better made :D

• Like 1