Why become a member? ×

Any experience with MK EUBs?

Burns-bass

I’m interested to know if anyone here has played an MK EUB?

Ive had pretty much all the EUBs put there (SLB, Éminence, NS etc.) and none feels enough like a DB.

I’ve some great things from a few people about MK basses.

i just wanted to hear if anyone had played one or owns one...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The good news is that I have recently acquired one - the bad news is that it's my first time playing any form of upright bass, so I can't give a comparison! The screw in 'shoulders' seem to help in resting it against the body like a DB, at least from my understanding from discoverdoublebass videos :)

It's a second-hand Studio (their basic model), about 5 years old. I found it quick and easy to set-up and I'm very happy with the tone through the piezo pickup into a Quilter Basss Block/Fearless F112. I suspect I may need a notch filter though as it resonates around (I think) A.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I will say I'm pleased with it!

1 hour ago, Kevsy71 said:

The good news is that I have recently acquired one - the bad news is that it's my first time playing any form of upright bass, so I can't give a comparison! The screw in 'shoulders' seem to help in resting it against the body like a DB, at least from my understanding from discoverdoublebass videos :)

It's a second-hand Studio (their basic model), about 5 years old. I found it quick and easy to set-up and I'm very happy with the tone through the piezo pickup into a Quilter Basss Block/Fearless F112. I suspect I may need a notch filter though as it resonates around (I think) A.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I will say I'm pleased with it!

That’s good to hear. Today I had a jazz model turn up. The package was something - taller than me! Was that the one on Reverb? I nearly bought it if it was.

I’ve unpacked it all and given it a once over and it’s a nicely made piece of kit. Like many artisan products it’s not as gloriously uniform as a Yamaha for instance, but it has more personality.

I needed something to practice on at home and use for gigs and this is a much better feeling and sounding instrument than the SLB I had.

Ive not had a chance to play it properly through an amp but I’m assuming the Fishman will come out. I know some people have fitted David Gage pickups so that’s an option.

Personally, it’s the closest EUB To a double bass that I’ve ever used. The neck is chunky and the sides almost identical to the contours on my DB.

Time will tell how durable it is and how good it sounds at gigs, but I’m happy with it so far.

Ok, update...

Set it up with a set of Helicore Hybrids and it feels great. They’re pretty high-tension, which is nice. The frame is fantastic and the full-size bridge makes it really feel like a DB with the correct string spacing which I’ve always found a challenge on other stick basses.

The resonant board makes it sound like a double bass. It lacks the genuine warmth of a full sized beast, but that’s to be expected.

Is it the best EUB I’ve ever used? I’d say it most definitely is. Its probably not as well made as the Yamaha, which is factory assembled, but it’s a lovely artisan product that I’m sure will be enjoyed by me for a long time.

I bought mine without seeing one or playing one, but based on the reviews and views of players (mostly American). I’d say it’s definitely worth it.

• Like 1

Further update:

Pickup output is very strong. It necessitates the use of a preamp (I use a Fishman). 

Its actually quite incredible how close to a DB it sounds. Still breaking in the strings which feel high-tension. The bridge has a slight tendency to rock forward, but that’s natural on any EUB. 

Overall, still happy!

2 hours ago, TPJ said:

Would love to see some pics. :)

Not certain what this means.

If you've ever had an Eminence the bridge can sometimes tilt forward slightly when you apply more tension to the strings. You just have to be aware this can happen. The MK does this as well. The builder warns this can happen, so I'm not criticising his work. 

Obviously, EUBs with a fixed bridge (the SLBs for example) then this isn't a problem. 

"Rock forward" is obviously an exaggeration, we're talking about millimetres, but it can affect the sound. 

I have a theory for why this may be the case, but who knows. It just means when I tighten the strings (or take it out of the case) I just check the bridge is firmly down in the right place. if it was a problem, I'd score the top or do something to ensure the bridge doesn't move. 

11 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

If you've ever had an Eminence the bridge can sometimes tilt forward slightly when you apply more tension to the strings. You just have to be aware this can happen. The MK does this as well. The builder warns this can happen, so I'm not criticising his work. 

Obviously, EUBs with a fixed bridge (the SLBs for example) then this isn't a problem. 

"Rock forward" is obviously an exaggeration, we're talking about millimetres, but it can affect the sound. 

I have a theory for why this may be the case, but who knows. It just means when I tighten the strings (or take it out of the case) I just check the bridge is firmly down in the right place. if it was a problem, I'd score the top or do something to ensure the bridge doesn't move. 

The SLB 200 doesn't have a fixed bridge and it does tilt, I have one and check and adjust it occasionally. 

7 hours ago, Staggering on said:

The SLB 200 doesn't have a fixed bridge and it does tilt, I have one and check and adjust it occasionally. 

Interesting. I always though the recesses stopped it from moving. I only had an SLB 100 mind you. 

10 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Interesting. I always though the recesses stopped it from moving. I only had an SLB 100 mind you. 

The recesses hold it in the correct location but it will still tilt if bumped or when changing strings and sometimes when tuning, just like a DB. It is also a tall bridge (unlike a lot of EUBs ) which makes it more susceptible to bumps. There is a section in the owner's manual about the proper set up for the bridge including the angle. 

Sounds like you are having a good time with the MK, I like my Yamaha and use it for rehearsals and gigs where space is limited and my DB is too big but I'd love to try the MK. Are you planning to gig with it?

4 hours ago, Staggering on said:

The recesses hold it in the correct location but it will still tilt if bumped or when changing strings and sometimes when tuning, just like a DB. It is also a tall bridge (unlike a lot of EUBs ) which makes it more susceptible to bumps. There is a section in the owner's manual about the proper set up for the bridge including the angle. 

Sounds like you are having a good time with the MK, I like my Yamaha and use it for rehearsals and gigs where space is limited and my DB is too big but I'd love to try the MK. Are you planning to gig with it?

That’s really interesting to know about the SLB. They’re lovely instruments.

Im really enjoying the MK, but I bought it mostly for practice at home and after work. I think my band mates would prefer I use a real DB, but I think the MK would be perfect for gigging. I think if I were to gig it I would add another pickup.

• 9 months later...

As an update to my initial review, the strings have now softened (D'addario hybrids) and make a beautiful mellow sound. The output from the pickup is slightly uneven, with more bass so I use a Fishman pre-amp to even it out. 

Does it sound like a DB? No, but the floating soundoard is much, much better than any other EUB I've ever used. It's also easy to set up, take down and play so I'm very happy with it.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, TheAndelorian said:

Mine is currently being built, can't wait to give it a spin!

What model did you go for? 

Id love to hear what you think about it. A few people have been a little disparaging about the EUB until it’s plugged in! 

• 1 month later...

I went for the jazz passive. I’ve had it for a few weeks now and I’m besotted. The fir ‘top’ (soundboard) is just stunning and the whole thing is just a work of art - in my humble opinion! Great set up straight away - I’ve been tinkering away at the action of my carved bass for ages and this was just perfect out of the box. Nice and high enough to dig-in with arm weight, low enough to pull off fast(ish - limited by myself!) runs and rakes. 
Very comfortable to play and the rests do their job very effectively. I like to move the angle of the bass so that it leans into me for higher register playing and I just couldn’t do that with other designs like the NS where it’s fixed in place. The arm design works well for my height as well. I’m 6ft4 and have found the ‘tummy rest’ designs don’t work well for me when standing- I had a Farwest briefly and this was a real issue. I had an opportunity to get a good deal on a BSX but avoided for this reason. 
Electronics-wise, I’m plugging straight into an Acoustic Image Clarus SL, with either an Upshot or Markbass Traveller cab. No pre-amp. It’s definitely the best EUB I’ve heard, but can only compare to Stagg and Farwest. However, I’ve tried out my realist soundclip in a few different bridge positions, and it sounded weedy compared to the onboard piezo. I’d be interested to try out MK’s pick-up on my main bass (though getting on pretty well with a condenser mic - during these low volume times!). I’ve even used a vox headphone amp for a quick and dirty opportunistic practice, and it’s not bad - better than sticking your phones straight into a Stagg! All in all, thoroughly recommended. Mirko built it in a month and is a very pleasant and professional guy. 10/10, though I need to get some decent strings on it ASAP as had to budget on that front. 

On 23/07/2020 at 20:50, Burns-bass said:

What model did you go for? 

Id love to hear what you think about it. A few people have been a little disparaging about the EUB until it’s plugged in! 

B8CC66BD-579D-48CE-A8B4-B4BDDA780F09.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if you are still happy with your MK's? I am doubt to buy a Yamaha SLB200 which I can pick up 2nd hand for around 2.200 EUR or buy my self a new MK Studio or MK Studio-Up.

Any feedback is welcome!

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards

John

Edited by JohnS

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry for the late response- I thought I I had email alerts set up but indeed I did not. 
If not a redundant opinion at this stage, yes I’m still loving my MK, I’d agree with the above about the maturity of the sound after a year. Always complimented by others on the authenticity of its sound, and wonderfully simple to adjust the action.