Why become a member? ×

Views on Ashdown ABM cabs?

Muppet

In the studio today and there's always been an Evo III 410 combo stuck in the corner. I decided to give it a go this once and it was great! 

I have a ABM Evo IV head already as a back up but I thought about checking eBay for Ashdown cabs and they're stupid cheap; I mean you can get 2 410s for £300 or so. That's less than one used Barefaced 410. 

Anyone have any thoughts on the cabs? As I say, I thought the ABM 410 was really really nice!  Is it just that they're not fashionable at the moment or what ?

steve 

1 hour ago, Bafflegab said:

They sound great, they’re just heavy!

We have them at our rehearsal room. They're decent, complement both the ABM and RM series heads very well. I'd be tempted to get one if it weren't for the weight. I'm happy with my Rootmasters but if cost and weight were equal I'd go ABM.

• Like 1

Just now, Muppet said:

Hmmm,  I'm thinking that weight is a concern here! 

It never used to be, it's just that these days there are lots of lightweight options. In the (very recent) past they just weighed whatever they weighed and you dealt with it.

• Like 1

Just now, uk_lefty said:

It never used to be, it's just that these days there are lots of lightweight options. In the (very recent) past they just weighed whatever they weighed and you dealt with it.

Yeah I guess so - I used to cart around an Ampeg 610 and before that  a couple of MAG 115s.  we're spoiled nowawdays. They still make them though so maybe they're used exclusively by bassists with roadies.....

22 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

There's a 8x10 on eBay at the minute for £180.

Absolutely nuts! 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183841829930

That was the point I was sort of getting at - seems like pretty good value for money assuming you have the space and the muscle power! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

Are the RM cabs heavy as well? I was considering a couple of the 1x12 cabs.

No, they're a dead easy one handed lift for the 1x15 and the 2x10 so I imagine the 1x12 is lighter still. Ashdown will have the weight of them on their website.

The ABM cabs - especially the EVO IVs - are superb cabs. I have the 410 & 210 and they really do perform well. Yes a bit heavy but great cabs.

RM cabs - very light, great sound, I’m looking at getting a couple of the 210s (again) as the weight and portability make sense to my aging frame.

13 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The ABM cabs - especially the EVO IVs - are superb cabs. I have the 410 & 210 and they really do perform well. Yes a bit heavy but great cabs.

What's the improvement in the EVO IV cabs over the other ABM cabs Lozz?

56 minutes ago, Muppet said:

What's the improvement in the EVO IV cabs over the other ABM cabs Lozz?

To my ears they seem sharper, greater clarity and more responsive. They do also seem to be voiced with a fair bit of low-end so on big stages you’re not left with a thin weedy sound.

• Thanks 1

Check which model with the RM cab weights. I think they've done a few different versions. I bought a 2x12 (the older black one) thinking it would be light, and it was 35kg! And only had pull out side handles which blocked you when trying to get through doors!

I always preferred the MAG 4x10" cabs. They had a better sound to me when I used them with my GK1001RBII at the time. Plus they went ridiculously loud as well which is handy when you are trying to be heard over 2 guitarists out of their nuts on speed

Weight no option and if I was still playing in a rock band then I would still have them

16 hours ago, Muppet said:

That was the point I was sort of getting at - seems like pretty good value for money assuming you have the space and the muscle power! 

I'd buy that tomorrow in a heartbeat if I was in the UK. Even if it meant traveling half way across the country to pick it up. I (now) live in Bulgaria and the price of second hand gear here is ridiculous! I often look at stuff on eBay and and on the for sale thread on here with my head in my hands. I can't believe the price some of the stuff goes for now. It's cheaper than when I first started playing 30v years ago. 

On 24/07/2019 at 11:44, uk_lefty said:

No, they're a dead easy one handed lift for the 1x15 and the 2x10 so I imagine the 1x12 is lighter still. Ashdown will have the weight of them on their website.

The RM112 is very light. Around 13Kg if i remember rightly. 

• Like 1

On 24/07/2019 at 12:38, Lozz196 said:

RM cabs - very light, great sound, I’m looking at getting a couple of the 210s (again) as the weight and portability make sense to my aging frame.

And very luckily I now have a pair of RM210s, in fact the very same ones I moved on, thanks to our own @bassix seeing this thread and contacting me. Cheers Liam!

• Like 2