Why become a member? ×

Slap Bass Lovers Only

Chewie

Evening guys and gals,

I know it’s rarely suitable in a band situation.

I know it’s far from everyone’s cup of tea.

I know it’s difficult to eq.

I know some people can’t get out of E when they do it but crikey, I love it.

I remember when I first slapped a groove and I actually drooled....!

I remember coming home with Freaky Styley on vinyl and listening to some of Flea’s maniacal grooves and thinking, “What the Dickens!”

My first super slap tone was a Squier jazz bass and a Fender amp which lit up red at the bottom...!

Any slap tales out there?  What’s your favourite rig/set up?  Who sucks, who’s amazing?

This YouTube video blew me away back in the day......!

• Like 7

I'd be lying if I didn't say Flea wasn't one of the reasons I picked up a bass in the early 90s. The Blood Sugar Sex Magik album was (and to a degree still is) my bass bible, albeit notable for its lack of slap bass compared to their previous output. Whilst RHCP have completely jumped the shark these days, I'm still a huge fan of their early output and the bass playing on it. Whilst a lot of what he plays isn't that complicated, the speed and energy he plays with made it unlike anything anyone else was doing at the time. Obviously having Chad Smith as your drummer helps a great deal too.

I have nothing against slap when it's done well. The problem is that it rarely is! Like a lot of things, it's an easy concept that's hard to master.

Edited by Johnny Wishbone
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Love a bit of Jonas:

And Les is also a master, both are highly recognisable without sounding like standard music shop slap artists...

Jonas is one of my favourites too, he’s just amazing.

1 hour ago, spencer.b said:

I like mine old school , Larry Graham and Louis Johnson are my faves

Yeah, Larry Graham.  Definitely.

What a beast.  I mean, he needed that percussive part, originally.

I wouldn’t want him taking my girlfriend to the pictures though......!

On 24/07/2019 at 11:23, Mook said:

Marcus Miller is to blame for getting me into slap style nonsense. Love that groove is number one for him at all times even through his solos. 

I really like some of Marcus' early slap stuff, right on it groove wise and very clean. He has great time and musical with his note choice.

12 minutes ago, burno70 said:

I like a bit of slap - if it's done well. And I enjoy making a lovely din when I'm trying to play it. Despite several years of trying a still suck at it though - not a natural technique for me to play for some reason.

Me and you both! - But planning to put in a bit of time on the "slap-board" to see if I can rectify that over the coming 12 months! 

Another favourite but relatively simple slap riff sounding great on a Yammy BB and also just going to show that you can slap on a PJ bass as well as a J or MM!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bassfan said:

I’m a big funk/slap fan and I don’t care who knows! 😂 

we play Never too much in our set, always goes down well. You can’t beat a bit of Marcus Miller! 

Yes matey.  I’m hearing that.

I can put even more cards on the table and say the bass in Fantastic by Wham! is a big love of mine too.

• Like 1