Why become a member? ×

Music Doppelgangers - Anyone Got One?

Shutterbug

This isn't exactly being mistaken for someone famous as such , but at a pub gig somewhere in Birmingham years ago a rather nice drunk person wobbled their way up to me between songs and shouted "god you're an ugly fu**er, but you're a sh*t hot bass player".

To someone who is a) drunk and b) probably never even seen someone play a bass guitar before, anyone playing the damn thing is going to be "sh*t hot " 🤨

At the end of the same gig while loading cars etc... we were told "you lot should of been playing Wembley f*ckin stadium not a pub"... Due to look on their face , we didn't take that as a "you should be famous" compliment but rather something to do with everything being turned up to 11 on our amps for the past 2 hours. 🤪  

Edited by Bleat
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

There's a rumour that @Teebs is the spitting image of Buckethead.

In fact, he's never been seen in his box-shaped disguise at the same time as Buckethead in his KFC bucket, so they could be the same person...

I started that rumour 18 months ago on FinnBass! smiley

Ah - it's such a small world!

But are the rumours true? smiley

Only two people know the answer... smiley

smiley

Edited by Teebs
  • Haha 1

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 12:45, SICbass said:

I’m a fair man, the guitar I can let pass, but a MUSIC STAND!

Off I pop. You can all just talk amongst yourselves...

There's a story there, that deals with both guitar and music stand, and allows us to get back to Billy Joel. #missingthepointguys

That gig, for the trumpeter/band leader's company's Summer Event, was booked for the quartet - trumpet/keys/bass/drums, playing two sets of original funk/jazz music.

On the morning of the gig, the keyboards player rang up injured and unable to walk around, let alone drive there. Worse, he was going to be  bringing the drummer. Two down before we started.

So either we cancelled, which would not look so good for Mr. Band Leader; or the remaining two of us played it as a guitar/trumpet duo gig - we'd done that format before, so we knew that it was feasible. Clearly we weren't going to be able to replicate a 4-piece band vis-à-vis the original material, so we ended up playing jazz standards. Since I don't, off the top of my head, know hundreds of standards in enough detail for playing chord-melody jazz guitar for two 30 minute sets with zero rehearsal, I used charts from a Realbook for those I couldn't recall . 

Everyone seemed happy with the arrangements, we saved face and moved on without losing ground. All good.

Next time I'll just crop the photo for the benefit of the more sensitive among you...… :P

Edited by mangotango

I will confess that I never have been much of a Rush fan and never took much notice of them, so I was surprised to be told by a few people that I looked like Geddy Lee toward the back end of the 90s - this pic was taken in 2002.

The weirdest bit - after I had learned who he was and a couple of years after this, I was visiting Land's End in Cornwall on holiday and I will swear Geddy walked right past me - my wife did a double take, too!

12bar04.jpg