Why become a member? ×

Music Man HD-150 question (replacing tubes)

Hi you lovely people! 

I've purchased an old HD-150 head with the matching 212rh cabinet. The amp hasn't been used for a while, so I will have it checked before using in my band (of course I did a test run, and it sounds great with my Gibson Ripper!) . As the tubes are old, I'll replace them for a fresh start. The tubes mounted now are Sylvania STR387. 

On the net, there is a lot to read about tubes in this amp. Thing is that I read different things; some people say they use 6L6, and others say you need 6L6GC type tubes that take higher voltage. 

Anyone knowing the truth here? 🙂

Also, I have an additional question:

On the back of the amp is a label that says the speaker outputs are wired in series. Does this mean I can connect 2 4Ohm cabs when setting the amp at 8Ohm? the 212RH should be 4, which means I could add another one if it might pop up at one time. 

Edited by SurroundedByManatees

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd update after a few months:

The amp has been serviced and I use it weekly now with band practice. It sounds just great with my eden 410 cab. 

Meanwhile I also scored a bassman 135 (with nos vintage Fender tubes) at a decent price finally... Haven't tried it yet with the band, though I am curious how these will compare.