Why become a member? ×

NAD: Markbass Marcus Limited (Yes the Iron Man one!)

fretmeister

New amp arrived.

67081242_10157138892383726_8008264005711

First thought - ye gods it is punchy! Way more punchy than my Darkglass. To the point that I will be compressing the shite out of it! :D  Far punchier than any other Class D head I've owned.

It's hefty!

Second thought - ye gods is it loud! 

Third thought - Fan noise is louder than my Darkglass, but I am trying to relax about such things as in the house I most often use my Helix and studio monitors, and when I'm playing with a drummer nobody will care.

And the most important thing to those who think MB amps look child-like... it looks like Iron Man. So you are wrong. 

giphy.gif&f=1

Very different tone to the Darkglass of course. Only had 5 mins with it at lunch time so far, with my Sandberg Super Light, but those Marcus tones are there, and more old fashioned is easy to dial in too. 

Not a sterile sound either, just clear and warm. I'll try my P bass with flats later.

Alas the big band only meets during term times so I've got to wait until September before I get to play it with the band. Looking forward to it though!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Now I’ve had it almost a week, I’m loving it.

Almost to the point I’m wondering about selling my M900.

P bass with flats needs very different EQ to my Sandberg, and the super low control is great for removing low end mud. Haven’t used the new parametric control a lot yet as I’m getting what I want with the regular EQ.

I might get the footswitch so I can turn the EQs on and off for swapping basses. 

The gold knobs do need a different colour marker in them though. The position dots are just a gold indent and they disappear in any type of light.

Most importantly it isn’t yellow :)

looks a cracking amp!

sorry to hijack the thread a little, the G70 .... does that still suffer from dropouts? Looking for a new wireless system, G70 looks best option but internet reviews scare me....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HazBeen said:

Most importantly it isn’t yellow :)

looks a cracking amp!

sorry to hijack the thread a little, the G70 .... does that still suffer from dropouts? Looking for a new wireless system, G70 looks best option but internet reviews scare me....

Firmware updates have helped it enormously.

I think a lot of the problems people have with it is they don't read the instructions. They say do a scan every time you use it. Even in familiar places. The unit will pick the clearest freq.

Then it works as well as any other wireless I've had. The scanning only takes 15 seconds or so.

Funnily enough I had a few dropouts at home and then slowly noticed they were when my ancient tumble dryer was on! I have no idea why that was a issue but it was.

As with all wireless systems you've got to have a cable handy as a backup. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have finally been able to use it at big band rehearsal.

In the mix the core tone is deeper than the DG, and the Ultralow 40hz control is brilliant for removing flub in what can be a very boomy room. 

I usually play a Precision with this ensemble, but I used my Berg Superlight. At the start it was a bit too mid scooped - not a surprise with a jazz type - but a tweak of the mids sorted that. I might get the footswitch so I can easily switch in the semi-para EQ for an easy change for slap.

It was really punchy and had a great piano tone to the attack when played hard, and fattened up when played with more finger on the strings. When using the DG head I usually have the B3K on all the time at a low level. I purposely didn’t bring any drive with me to force me to learn the amp.

Signal chain was bass, tuner, ThorpyFX Fat General Compressor, amp, Barefaced One10.

Loved it!

• Like 1

Love the looks of this and would love to have a go.  The darkglass heads just look too boring for my tastes.  I also quite like EBSfreak's 4x4. Mind you my own car tends to stand out a bit in a crowd aswell..

midget.jpg

Edited by jacko