Why become a member? ×

Recommend a bass for teaching child

Sharkfinger

Not sure if this has been asked before but have any of you bought a bass for a child?  Would like to teach one aged between 6 and 9 and need something small and light but with standard tuning.

Just want to get them started and pass on some of my meager skills.  Teaching them everything I know should take about 2 hours.  3 if I drag out tuning a bass.

Another vote for the Ibanez Mikro, they're 28 and half inch ish scale length, light, very well made with the super skinny neck that Ibanez use on their SR series of basses which are perfect for young hands. They sound great too. They're simply great basses, and not just for the money, they're great basses full stop. I picked up a used one a few months ago for £50 and it's a brilliant little bass, I'd have no qualms gigging it as it is without having to mod it in any way - and until recently I was gigging a couple of Sandbergs before moving over exclusively to playing short scales! 

• Like 1

+1 for the Ibanez Mikro. My daughter got one when she was 8. (Now just turned 11). Didn't really take to it for a year, but is now going for her Grade 4 exams and auditioning for School of Rock the Musical.

The difficult part is finding a decent strap that's small enough.

I'd definitely recommend finding a decent teacher, the parent/child dynamic doesn't always make for the best learning experience. 🙁

• Like 1

There's also the Jackson Minion bass which is another 28 and half inch ish scale length, I've had a play on one and it seems a very capable little bass and it has that classic Jackson styling which takes those of us of a certain age back to the 80's with our long hair, skin tight jeans with Peace Sells But Who's Buying blaring out of the cassette deck* B|

*Well it did for me anyway! 

22 hours ago, Osiris said:

There's also the Jackson Minion bass which is another 28 and half inch ish scale length, I've had a play on one and it seems a very capable little bass and it has that classic Jackson styling which takes those of us of a certain age back to the 80's with our long hair, skin tight jeans with Peace Sells But Who's Buying blaring out of the cassette deck* B|

*Well it did for me anyway! 

Yep, that's me!