Why become a member? ×

Tips on setting up your Bass Guitar by Sheldon Dingwall of Dingwall.

Dood

• ped pinned and unpinned this topic
  • ped pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is the first time that I've actually sat down and watched a set up video. I knew how the truss rod and the saddle height affected the action on different parts of the neck but I've never actually measured anything before.

This video has prompted me to buy a capo, feeler gauges and a 6" metal ruler to give it a try.

There's only one thing that I'm unsure of in this video and one I have posted below: once the truss rod has been adjusted, I would have expected the person in the video to remove the capo, retune and then do it again but their method seems to be once you adjust it like the way they show, that's it. 

Also both adjust the truss rod under tension, I've read a lot about people loosening the strings first to take the pressure off the neck before making any adjustments.

I always adjust the truss rod under tension. It’s only very small increments and it means you get almost instant results. 

In this video, and most others, they are aiming for a certain amount of relief. Once they hit the target that’s it, they move on to adjust the action. It’s not always that straight forward and you can go back and forth, but the idea is really to just get a certain amount of relief, and then set the action. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

To date, the best advices to set up your bass with clear demonstrations. Thanks @Dood

That said, it's missing the most important part which is the correct mounting of strings...

And for adjusting the string height, here is my tip. Do as Sheldon is saying with the highest string (using whatever has the correct thickness), then put this exact same height for each and every lower string using the same technique, without forgetting to always precesely retune your bass : this way, your strings will just fit precisely your radius. And then, simply raise each saddle by a quarter turn higher than the previous higher string. You can retune by each string or even after the whole process, but there will be less stress when done after each raising.

So simply put for a 6 strings bass :

1/4 turn higher than the C string for the G string,

1/2 turn higher than the C string for the D string,

3/4 turn higher than the C string for the A string,

4/4 turn (full turn) higher than the C string for the E string,

5/4 turn (1 + 1/4) higher than the C string for the B string. 

This way, you'll have the perfect reproduction of your radius going higher with every lower string. And for measuring you can also use hex keys (Allen keys).

As you've certainly noticed in my for sale ads, my favourite action at the 12th fret is going from 1,5 mm to 2 mm for a 4 strings bass without any buzz. This is achieved by the same process Sheldon is explaining without forgetting the only way to correctly fit the strings.

It used to be my job as I used to run my own electronics and lutherie repair shop for years and have also been a guitar and bass tech for loads of bands around here.

PS : instead of using a piece of wood and one finger for breaking in the strings at the nut and saddles, you can simply push slightly and progressively before and after them with your index and major finger at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, looks like all the videos on the net are completely wrong when explaining you how to fit the strings. That's just unbelievable.

Looks also like I'll have to make that video as there are two common huge mistakes done every time I'm watching one.

But first I'll have to search for Sheldon one, if there's one as I'm sure he's doing it right.

3 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Ok, looks like all the videos on the net are completely wrong when explaining you how to fit the strings. That's just unbelievable.

Looks also like I'll have to make that video as there are two common huge mistakes done every time I'm watching one.

But first I'll have to search for Sheldon one, if there's one as I'm sure he's doing it right.

So briefly, what are these common mistakes that everyone else does?

Its not rocket science. Ive been setting my basses up for decades, well before the internet started to tell me i was wrong, and ive never needed to do all that down to that accuracy you say. You make it sound much more complicated than it needs to be. its so easy to get wrapped up in all this and make it sound like a Physics course, where as feel is much more important IME.

I have only once or twice set me action to closely follow the radius, and it felt wrong. Not saying you are giving out wrong info, but i dont agree it HAS to be done like.

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

So briefly, what are these common mistakes that everyone else does?

Its not rocket science. Ive been setting my basses up for decades, well before the internet started to tell me i was wrong, and ive never needed to do all that down to that accuracy you say. You make it sound much more complicated than it needs to be. its so easy to get wrapped up in all this and make it sound like a Physics course, where as feel is much more important IME.

I have only once or twice set me action to closely follow the radius, and it felt wrong. Not saying you are giving out wrong info, but i dont agree it HAS to be done like.

It's no rocket science at all. And what I'm explaining with words is what Sheldon is showing. I only gave a tip to make it faster and easier. And sorry for you, but following the neck radius is the ONLY way to do. I'm 54 years old, by the way, and setting up instruments for more than 30 years.

Back to the tracks with these two mistakes.

First mistake is to cut directly the strings at the desired length.

Why not ? Because the wrapping will slip over the core having a dead string as a result.

How to avoid that ? Measure the desired length, then break a bit more than an 100 degrees angle at this position and cut the string 1 to 1,5 cm after that break. This way the wrapping won't slip over the core. And there's a well in every post in every tuner, just check how deep it is to cut at the correct length.

Second mistake is to wrap the strings over the post until the string is tuned.

Why not ? Doing this, you'll make the strings wrapping on themselves causing nods and unwanted harmonics.

How to avoid that ? Simply release the whole string at the bridge by moving it up and down when there is something like 1 to 1,5 cm left. You will notice that the string will unwrap and go back to the correct position. And then wind the string slowly to pitch. The string will now be dead straight avoiding the nods and harmonics of wrapped on themselves strings.

So no rocket science at all, but common sense that would have been easier to explain in a video. But your post was so aggressive I felt I had to answer it immediately.

Edited by Hellzero
100 degrees, not 180...
  • Like 1

Still dont agree. How on earth do you know what feels uncomfortable under my fingers?

Ive seen many, many YT videos showing that you bend the string before cutting it. Ive been doing it since day one (30+ years ago). Same goes for string winding.

I didnt mean to come across aggressive, but i stand by my comments, there is no one way to set up a bass. Also  i have never come across any set up videos showing these two huge mistakes (and mistakes i 100% agree with you about).

As for ' Ok, looks like all the videos on the net are completely wrong when explaining you how to fit the strings. That's just unbelievable'. Yeah, totally unbelievable that you have never seen one video that does it properly. Having seen enough with my own eyes i wonder just what your looking at.

Again, not trying not be egressive, just responding to you comments based on my own experiences, but take them as you will.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

You know what, I noticed that the more you want to help people, the more you are considered pedant and the more you get aggressive comments. So from now on, I'll keep what I know for me, I won't share it and won't participate on the forum again. I guess you'll agree with that. Better this way. Set up your instrument the way tou want without taking into account more than 400 years of classical lutherie and 70 years of electric lutherie. So long. Enough is enough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just set up my Precision using the exact measurements in the Elixir videos and I'm really surprised at how much more relief I had to add to the neck and how much higher I had to raise the saddles

I thought that this method would give me an ultra low, ultra slick setup, and although I am confident that I won't have any fret rattle, it all seems very high relatively speaking

On 22 July 2019 at 20:42, Dood said:

Prompted by a post elsewhere on BassChat, I replied with this link to a set of very helpful videos by @Sheldon Dingwall.

I am reposting here in the Repairs And Technical forum and will ask to make this a sticky for future reference.

A great set of videos, plus the bonus, thanks to the title, is that forevermore I will think of Sheldon as 'Sheldon Dingwall of Dingwall'... :D

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
  • ped unpinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

I remember once reading a round table discussion in a bass magazine with such greats as Nathan East and John Patitucci arguing about whether to bend the string before cutting it, or whether to have a straight neck or to dial in relief. If some of the greatest bassists of all time manage to restring and set up their basses differently and create the music they do, then it strikes me as hilarious how use mere mortals can declare strangers on the Internet to be wrong and our way is the only way to do it. 😂 

2 minutes ago, therealting said:

I remember once reading a round table discussion in a bass magazine with such greats as Nathan East and John Patitucci arguing about whether to bend the string before cutting it, or whether to have a straight neck or to dial in relief. If some of the greatest bassists of all time manage to restring and set up their basses differently and create the music they do, then it strikes me as hilarious how use mere mortals can declare strangers on the Internet to be wrong and our way is the only way to do it. 😂 

Well if they still argue about it then they’re just like us!

• Haha 1

On 04/10/2019 at 08:00, Hellzero said:

So from now on, I'll keep what I know for me, I won't share it and won't participate on the forum again. I guess you'll agree with that.

Agreed!

So long. Enough is enough.

Yes, enough with not respecting other people's opinions about any & everything.

taking into account more than 400 years of classical lutherie and 70 years of electric lutherie

It's some huge irony that folks who are extremely rude like to point out how much experience they have!

Are you a vampire?

• Like 1