Why become a member? ×

Bloody cramping fingers!!

LITTLEWING

Anyone else get ridiculous uncontrollable cramp in one or two fingers in either hand during a gig?

I thought I had it sorted by keeping extra hydrated before and during with good ol' water which has mostly worked for a while but Saturday we played just over an hour and twice for a minute or so I had it in two fretting fingers and then in my plucking index finger. I just about got around it with other fingers but it was embarrassing!

I've heard of bananas and their properties and also not drinking lager which has sugar and apparently sucks water out of the system and tried both.

Someone also suggested to relax the hands and fingers more while playing and not going 'too hard'. 

Anyone have any tried and tested remedies? ( I'm the wrong side of 60 btw but I hate to think this is the downward musical retirement slope!)

Do you warm up properly before playing a gig? Maybe something to add in to the pre-gig routine.

I just read that cramps can be caused by inadequate blood supply too, which although I don't know if it's the case here, I have always been semi-aware of my breathing whilst I am playing, along with my posture. In my mind I think I had decided that I tire less easily if I'm getting the ole lungs filled properly! Maybe that could help with alleviating cramps? I'm no doctor but I could ask one of my students later in the week who is!

Apparently dates have much higher potassium levels than bananas so worth a try - a helpful tip from Djokovic at Wimbledon last week. Additionally a pack of ready salted crisps every day has done wonders for the cramp in my calves that I used to get.

Bananas really do work but you need to eat them more regularly than just at a gig, I used to target shoot competitively and you would be out in all weathers and couldn’t wear anything on the trigger finger. Bananas never failed me and became a bit of a joke with some fellow competitors. I always take a couple of bananas to gigs, much to the amusement of my band mates, the rhythm guitarist isn’t laughing when my arthritic fingers are still going when his are giving him serious pain. I eat at least two every day and it also helped my overnight toe cramps ( horrendous things) due to arthritis meds.

Cramp can have many causes, and if you don't know what's causing yours then you could be in for a struggle.

I've been a lifelong sufferer from cramp caused by postural issues, caused in turn by being born with flat feet. I've also been a lifelong sufferer from well-intentioned people suggesting that I drink more water, take more salt in my diet, buy expensive magnesium tablets, and eat bananas.

All of those things are good for curing different types of cramp, so I guess that if you do all of them it might help you. :)

The best start point is, as Dood suggests, that you do a simple warm-up of your fingers and hands before each gig. 

Try this:

I used to get this but only in my left (fretting) hand. Warming up before a gig definitely helps but my main issue was that I was basically gripping the neck like Homer throttling Bart... had to adapt my playing style over a few months to play with a looser grip but it solved all my issues.

31 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

If it makes you feel any better, I’m off to the consultant tomorrow to discuss a tendon flexor repair in my fretting hand.

@NancyJohnson - you said the treatment I had three years ago (for a ring finger locked in the closed fist position) wouldn’t be the end of it and you were right. Luckily I haven’t got a gig for a few weeks and I’m hoping he will be able to squeeze me in. I’m not a big fan of pain, but I’d happily take the steroid injections into the tendon that he did last time and that hurt like a son of a b!tch.

Cheers War. 

I've had four done so far, left thumb and middle finger and the two middle fingers on my right hand.  I saw a consultant called Charles Pailthorpe...top bloke, ex-Army.  Alarmingly, my little finger on my right hand is showing signs of sticking now, first thing in the morning it's all clicky, so I suspect that'll be the next one. 

On the upside, blue goes with my eyes.

IMG00079-20120215-1645.jpg

Edited by NancyJohnson

14 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Ha ha. I still have the piece of paper with Mr.Pailthorpe’s name and number on it from our previous discussion 😀.

The consultant I saw and am seeing again tomorrow is similarly qualified. I believe there is a connection between him and Mr.Pailthorpe if memory serves. I was under the impression, probably mistakenly, that if the hoops need snipping that it could be done under local anaesthetic. Looks like you’ve been in for a general there. 

Apologies for the thread hi-jack. Getting a bit twitchy about tomorrow.

All under local, but I had an additional procedure done on the same arm at the same time.  A two for one special.  Ol' Charlie said it was the first time he'd done that, so expect some bruising.  I have a grizzly photo of my forearm in glorious purple and brown if anyone wants to see it.

• Like 1

As well a checking for any medical reasons for cramping up, do you warm up or work out? Just keeping the joints moving will improve your playing. I'd also ask how is your bass set up? Do you have a high action, stretch to reach notes or dig in? 

Lowering the strings and focusing on playing with a lot less energy in your hands might work.

• Like 2

If you cramp up, it's nearly always a sign you are using too much force/over-straining, unless you have injuries/physical issues. I'd look at your technique and set-up. Are you self-taught? Many who are learn bad habits, which can come back to bite them, especially  once they are past the first flush of youth and the body loses some ability to withstand misuse.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

As well a checking for any medical reasons for cramping up, do you warm up or work out? Just keeping the joints moving will improve your playing. I'd also ask how is your bass set up? Do you have a high action, stretch to reach notes or dig in? 

Lowering the strings and focusing on playing with a lot less energy in your hands might work.

I now have my bass set with a lower action than I’ve ever had before, as I had started getting more aches and cramps in both hands. I turn the amp up more and play less hard than I used to, and (so far anyway) it seems to have done the trick. Am sure it won’t stop the ageing process but may just make it more manageable for the time being at least. 😐

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Which ironically is exactly what is happening in your avatar.

04E1E033-06D3-4ED4-B13D-9E840B900DAB.jpeg

Not at all, I don’t play normal bass, so my hand isn’t in that position for long periods of time thumping out notes. I move my right hand about covering the full playing area. I’m also sat cross legged in the photo, if I were playing real bass then I’d be standing or sitting with the bass strapped at a comfortable height so as not to cause tension. When I was an undergrad I’d practice 12 or 14 hours a day, I did that for three years with no problems.

I used to cramp a lot about 17 years ago. It was all down to how the bass sat on me, and therefore how my hand angles were on the neck and over over the body of the bass. I went to a local bass teacher / friend as I thought it was technique, which it partly was. As soon as I started playing for him, he saw it immediately. I lowered the bass by a considerable amount to get the angles right i.e. no more right angles where the blood flow is restricted, and presto, I have never cramped since during a show. It was a revelation. Simple, small adjustments was all that was needed. Amazing. Keep hydrated too, that does help. Good luck 😊

• Like 2

Well, loads of possible remedies so far. Thanks. 

Only problem is now, I saw the bit about 'clicky' fingers and for a couple of years my main playing finger (index right hand) actually does have slight resistance stretching from palm to straight and 'jumps' halfway. It always goes away after a few minutes of movement but I hope this isn't another age related problem!

Certainly going to check out the height of my bass standing up though, very possibly could be a wrist angle thing and may help my fretting hand too if it's more relaxed at a different height. 

Keep you posted.

• Like 1

My consultant always maintained the clickiness will not cure itself and steroids are a temporary fix, so surgery is the preferred option and it's an instant fix. Instant.

While the surgery is minor...15 to 20 minutes...it can be painful up the whole arm for a day or two; the pain on my last one was horrific, largely down to me putting off surgery due to gigging activity which ultimately led to more damage to tendon and pulley.  Full recovery though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LITTLEWING said:

Certainly going to check out the height of my bass standing up though, very possibly could be a wrist angle thing and may help my fretting hand too if it's more relaxed at a different height.

Get someone who knows about this stuff to look over how you play. A second opinion would be a good idea.

Well, as probably been said before go get yourself checked out. Ask your doctor for an xray at hospital, theres no appointment as such he just sent them a message saying i was comming in (could be different in England, Wales i dunno) and got results back in 10 days. It'll give you an idea whats happening if any