Why become a member? ×

New job and OMFG moment.

NancyJohnson

1 hour ago, KK Jale said:

This is an obscure band but one I love, so....

I was in pub in Brixton with some mates years ago and got chatting to some guy. We quickly got on to music and I quite likely bleated on quite a lot about whatever project I was in at that time (probably the doomed Stax-type band). He seemed to understand everything very well and so I asked if he was doing any stuff himself. He turned a bit shy and mumbly and said, well, he did a bit of techy work, stage management and whatnot. Who are you with at the moment, I inquired? Well... The High Llamas, he replied. Wow, I replied, that's really cool... Gideon Gaye is one of my favourite underrated albums... I was listening to The Dutchman just the other week... very Beach Boys, but so original... blah blah blah. 

Some days later I recalled our chat and googled the band to look up some info about their more recent albums. A picture popped up. The bloke was in it. He wasn't a stage manager. It was Sean O'Hagan, lead singer of The High Llamas.

Bastard. 

Was he one of them in the field mentioned in another thread?

3 hours ago, KK Jale said:

This is an obscure band but one I love, so....

I was in pub in Brixton with some mates years ago and got chatting to some guy. We quickly got on to music and I quite likely bleated on quite a lot about whatever project I was in at that time (probably the doomed Stax-type band). He seemed to understand everything very well and so I asked if he was doing any stuff himself. He turned a bit shy and mumbly and said, well, he did a bit of techy work, stage management and whatnot. Who are you with at the moment, I inquired? Well... The High Llamas, he replied. Wow, I replied, that's really cool... Gideon Gaye is one of my favourite underrated albums... I was listening to The Dutchman just the other week... very Beach Boys, but so original... blah blah blah. 

Some days later I recalled our chat and googled the band to look up some info about their more recent albums. A picture popped up. The bloke was in it. He wasn't a stage manager. It was Sean O'Hagan, lead singer of The High Llamas.

Bastard. 

Pete Aves of The High Llamas lives round these 'ere parts. I was in an indie rock band from Southampton and we got a gig supporting a mate I was in a band with years ago at Salisbury's Old Ale House. Somehow he'd persuaded Pete Aves to play drums in his band.

Then a few years later I went to watch a couple of blokes do a John Martyn tribute, low and behold it was Pete Aves again. 

Gonna be a few clunks in this story so I apologise in advance!

About three weeks back we were at the Montreux Jazz Festival as support for Sting in this big Stravinski Auditorium place. I was buzzing because a) Montreux! and b) Josh Freese is drumming for Sting at the moment and I'm a big DEVO fan; didn't get to meet Josh in the end but was great to hear them soundcheck.

We'd just come offstage and were hanging around waiting for the risers to come down when this tidy American lady in a comedy cowboy hat/camo t-shirt combo starts talking to our singer. Assumed she was one of the promoters and left them to it, but when we came back after loadout our singer sat by herself having a nervous fag break:

"She started chatting about the set and I was just doing the usual diplomatic answers cause I really wanted to get to the bar but couldn't help feeling I knew her from somewhere. Then as she walks off one of the management team goes past with a "Hi, Shania!" and I twigged. It was the cowboy hat that did it."

All together now: "So you're Shania Twain..."

3i4bbmT.jpg

Edited by borntohang
  • Like 5

When we moved into our new house a couple of years ago I got chatting to one of our neighbours about dogs... She's got a couple of wolfhounds.

I mentioned I was in a band (as you do!), so we chatted about this for a while then she said she was a keyboard player and used to be in a band. I asked if it was anyone I'd heard of and she said "Jethro Tull".

She's full of excellent stories of 70s rock'n'flute excess!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

When we moved into our new house a couple of years ago I got chatting to one of our neighbours about dogs... She's got a couple of wolfhounds.

I mentioned I was in a band (as you do!), so we chatted about this for a while then she said she was a keyboard player and used to be in a band. I asked if it was anyone I'd heard of and she said "Jethro Tull".

She's full of excellent stories of 70s rock'n'flute excess!

Ah. That would be Dee (formerly David) Palmer...

18 minutes ago, borntohang said:

Altogether now: "So you're Shania Twain..."

3i4bbmT.jpg

Not her fault but I’ve had a down on Ms Twain ever since a band I was in was requested to play Proud Mary.  I pulled the lyrics up on the iPad only to find some loon had input Man, I Feel Like A woman.... 😩

A performance to forget!

For many years I worked just off of Oxford St in London and would, on occasion, pop into the musical instrument store situated at that time in the basement of Virgin Megastore.

On this particular occasion I popped in as they had a shipment of Spectors arrive which included my custom ordered white Euro. A salesman got it ready for me to demo and I sat there playing and enjoying my new purchase when, shortly after, another salesman approached - commenting positively on my playing and the tone of the bass. We had a nice chat about the bass, rock music etc and I thought he looked kinda familiar. He was middle aged and looked like a genuine classic rocker (different from your usual instrument salesman) so I asked if he played and/or gigged much.....
"Yeah, I play guitar..... gig occasionally but not so much at the moment though I was in a big band for a while".
"Oh, and who was that" I enquired....

Him: "Have you ever heard of Bad Company?"

Turns out it was Dave 'Bucket' Colwell.....

• Like 2

I caught Chas out of Chas 'n' Dave* chatting up my missus backstage at a bug jam we were playing. Oi Chas out of Chas N Dave I said, sling your hook. He slunk off to the safety of the executive portacabin.

*A comedy trio, a sort of cockney wurzels, inexplicably, if briefly, famous, but mainly only among Spurs fans.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Chas 'n' Dave*

36 minutes ago, stewblack said:

*A comedy trio, a sort of cockney wurzels, inexplicably, if briefly, famous, but mainly only among Spurs fans.

Oh they were so much more than that.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 5

Once I was walking down Aberystwyth with my then partner and a mate (say 1984). They suddenly crack up. Did you see who that guy who walked past us was they ask me?

What the medallion man with blonde hair? I asked.

That was Robert Plant...

My daughter has lots of friends through being home educated. One is Freya Ridings, who had a number 5 hit recently and was at Glasto.

• Like 1

This happened just last weekend when the family went on their annual festival jaunt.

We were at Larmer Tree Festival and it was about 5pm so everyone is hungry, next up on our list are Gomez but we have plenty of time. There's a bit of queue for the Persian grub but I join it anyway. In front of me is a guy in a light blue tee shirt which I think to myself "nice colour, very clean and uncreased, must be here for the day".

The queue is getting longer and right across the pie stall next door. Blue tee guy turns round, takes a look and then starts chatting to me about the queue blocking the pie stall and how he feels bad for them. He's doing all this in a joking way but he gets the queue shifting away from said stall. 

Later on we're watching Gomez and I've seen them live 2-3 times before and a big fan of their music since the start but put me in queue for food with Tom Gray and I haven't the scoobiest. There he was on stage in the same tee!

• Like 2

A few years ago, maybe 2009/10ish, I was at a Little Barrie gig at Night & Day in Manchester. Me & a friend had got there early & were having a few drinks as the place started to fill up.

When it was my round again, the bar was chocka, but after a bit I get to the front. A short bloke with big hair appears in my peripheral vision, & next thing, I'm being edged slowly out of my place at the bar.

At this point, I'm hot & getting grumpy, so I push firmly back, shunting the guy away from me and backwards away from the bar. I get our drinks & head back to the table, leaning heavily on the pushy bar bloke on the way, and maybe treading on a few toes.

I get back to our table, & my mate is peeing himself laughing.

"What's up?" I ask;

"What exactly have you got against Johnny Marr?" ;

I'm a big Smiths & Johnny Marr fan, I turn around, mortified, to get a proper look at the guy, and it is JM. :o

Later I went to apologise to the great man & he was lovely :)

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

About 15 years ago I was standing in a large bookshop/newsagent in Kingston marketplace perusing the music mags and, in particular, the bass mags. A tall, middle aged, rockstar-looking chap with a large barrel chest, medallion and a mop of blond hair came and stood next to me picking up a bass mag to read too. He looked familiar but I couldn't place him for some reason..... so we nodded to each other in acknowledgement and continued to flick through our respective magazines until I moved off....

Imagine my shock/regret when a week later I returned to the same magazine rack to peruse the new issue of said bass mag and there he was on the cover!!!!

It was only Chris bloody Squire!!!!!  Aaarrrghhhh.......

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I've had a pee next to Mr Scruff, whilst he was doing an epic DJ set in Bath Pavilion that I was crewing.

I only realised it was him when I wandered back out and saw him at the decks.

That reminds me....
I had a pee next to Scott Gorham (Thin Lizzy/Black Star Riders) backstage at High Voltage Festival. He commented on my Lizzy shirt and we discussed the various Lizzy line-ups/classic Lizzy sound as we continued to the basins to wash our hands.

Lovely chap!

• Like 1