Why become a member? ×

NBD... 1972 Precision

wateroftyne

Hey gang

Following a recent fling with a '63 Precision, which made me realise the early 60's neck profile isn't for me, I'm back in the bosom of the lovely fat early 70s P neck. 

I picked this up a few days ago - it's a '72, with a neck stamp dated the month & year of my birth. It's light (about 8.5lbs) and resonant, original black, with a maple neck.

They're just teaser pics at the moment as it needs a little bit of love, but I'll post the full story soon. In the meantime, I can barely stop playing it...

P7160007.jpg

P7160018.jpg

P7160019.jpg

P7160024.jpg

6j8Rz%AbS1uaFO%ymZNukA.jpg

P7210212.jpg

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 14

Very nice 😍.

What's the nut width on this one? I ask as at some point I'd like to get hold of a YOB '73 precision and I too love chunky necks (Steve Harris Blue Sparkle P kind of chunky). The problem is I don't have a clue about the neck options that were available in '73.   

9 hours ago, Deedee said:

Very nice 😍.

What's the nut width on this one? I ask as at some point I'd like to get hold of a YOB '73 precision and I too love chunky necks (Steve Harris Blue Sparkle P kind of chunky). The problem is I don't have a clue about the neck options that were available in '73.   

The "B" in the neck stamp refers to the neck width, which is 1 5/8″

Very nice indeed👍
I'm a Precision fan and have owned a few from a '64 to my present '97 (all USA) but never a maple neck - do they sound at all different? And the various neck sections tend to have that dead resonance somewhere between Bflat and D on the G, some hardly noticeable but others a bit pronounced. Does the stiffer maple overcome that at all?

10 hours ago, franzbassist said:

The "B" in the neck stamp refers to the neck width, which is 1 5/8″

Aha, thanks for that. I'd got it into my head that the ‘B’ just referred to the profile of the neck and not necessarily the nut width. It is in fact the other way around 🙄

Edited by Deedee
Doh!

On 22/07/2019 at 06:45, Soledad said:

Very nice indeed👍
I'm a Precision fan and have owned a few from a '64 to my present '97 (all USA) but never a maple neck - do they sound at all different? And the various neck sections tend to have that dead resonance somewhere between Bflat and D on the G, some hardly noticeable but others a bit pronounced. Does the stiffer maple overcome that at all?

There doesn't seem to be a pronounced dead spot on this, but none of my rosewood P's seem to suffer from it either.

• Thanks 1

On 21/07/2019 at 14:30, wateroftyne said:

Oh aye.. I knew that, but completely forgot in my enthusiasm. I stand corrected.

As you've been given freedom from thinking it's a few day off from your birth, I suggest you now assume it was born the same exact day you were. In the evening, or course, as if it was born during your morning, the folks in California at the factory wouldn't have been at work yet

• Haha 1

On 21/07/2019 at 19:44, 4000 said:

Pretty much everything I’ve ever played from ‘72 has been great ( my 2 Rics are both ‘72s).

Remember when I was a kid, the pre-CBS ones were sought after and the CBS/TV logo were somewhat looked down upon, but looking back I reckon a lot of that was anti-corporate hype. I had a '67 Jazz transition for ages and it was really good, 
Nice to see it with original s'plate (OK, pickguard if you must but Fender called them scratchplates back then) - so many this period have had tort plates put on to make them look 'vintage'... tort only belonged on sunburst  and when I see one on a fiesta red (or whatever solid colour) it's just plain wrong. Anyway, very nice original P 👍

Yeah, I completely agree that there was something in the water at Fender late 60's / early 70s. Every one I've had (and this is my.. err.. 7th, I think?) has been a beauty. Nice weight, resonant, with 'that' neck profile, of course they sound great (IMO)... and they look fab.

Once I've got a couple of tweaks done, I'll post more pics and give the full lowdown.

• 1 month later...

Right.. here's more pics & the lowdown.

It's had one previous owner, who bought it new in San Bernardino, CA in 1972. He's played it ever since. and did the usual tinkering 1980s (Dimarzio pickups, Badass, replacement pickguard). Dave Wilson has restored to its former glory, with a couple of bits from Limelight, and it's a beaut. Light (7.5lbs-ish) and incredibly resonant. It lives again, and it's going to get gigged to hell. Happy days.

P8242154.jpg

P8242180.jpg

P8242196.jpg

P8242204.jpg

P8242210.jpg

P8242213.jpg

P8242225.jpg

P8242228.jpg

• Like 10