Why become a member? ×

Could do with some string help please

Bafflegab

Hey all, hoping someone can help me out here!

I have a couple of short scales, (a Warwick and a Frankenbass) which are really great instruments apart from one thing - the E string on both always sounds dead.

I use light gauge 40-95 - could the 95 be the problem?  D’addario nickel rounds, which I’ve used on all my basses for 10+ years.

I’m thinking of ordering a 100 to swap it out and see what happens, but won’t if it’s going to be ineffective. 

On a related note, if I do change the gauge, will the slightly extra tension on the E cause any neck issues? I’m a bit nervous of causing it to twist or something like that, but that might be daft since it’s not going from 95 to 115 or something like that!  Plus, 40-100 is a common set in other brands, but might well have different tension.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

First off, check to see that the E is sitting correctly in the nut slot and on the saddle. If not then get that sorted, if you can do it yourself great, if not, someone who can.

Don't think you need to worry about neck issues by going up to a 100 gauge, although I can't imagine that it will solve the issue that you are concerned about. 

I've had numerous sets of strings where the E string sounded dead on short and long scale, some sets of strings just come with dead or semi dead strings. Sometimes your get a bad set.

A slightly higher string gauge won't damage your neck, as long as it's standard gauge (105) and below, if it fits in the nut it's fine, if you have to enlarge the nut slots you might need to be careful with neck tension.