Why become a member? ×

Electric Shocks

stewblack

Dood got it right in reply #2.

The likelihood is your PA being connected to a powerpoint somewhere in the room, and your bass cab to another, and there is potential difference between the two earths to the various equipment.  This could be due to shoddy earthing in the building, or your equipment. 

One quick way to stop it would be to remove the shield connection at one end of your (presumably balanced XLR) mic cable. Disconnecting this may make the mic noisier, but it will stop the mouth shocks.

I got a stage manager to do this once at a gig I was FOH engineer at just before the door opened and they let the audience in.  As people were rushing in.  The main guitarist (who had been getting the shock) was hidden from view, but through his extremely loud stage wedge I heard him say "Hey man, either that was a lucky guess or you're a f***ing genius..!"  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Oh!

I see!

Blame Teebs! smiley

I seem to get the blame for everything!

smiley

:D

And quite right too.

Even if it’s not your fault this time, you’ll have got away with something somewhere else so it all just balances out if we blame you for everything.

Stewblack’s electric shocks, Sam’s smutty innuendos, Ricky’s dress sense, my inability to pass a guitar shop without buying what Mrs S calls “another bloody bass”....All your fault. I could go on....

...in fact, I think I will.

Brexit. The 2008 financial crash. England’s inability to get close to the (men’s) football World Cup since 1966, that bloody awful Three Lions thing, the git that shoved a trolley down the side of my car yesterday, the fact that I couldn’t sleep last night.

All of it the fault of That Teebs.

Bad Teebs.

You should be ashamed of yourself....

:whoopass:

• Haha 3

Had an issue with shocks depping last year. Turns out they had one of those old desks where phantom power was either on every channel or no channel. They were using it to power overheads so was coming to my mic too. As soon as they turned it off the shocks stopped. Worth checking there's not anything sending 48v up your channel. 

9 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Even if it’s not your fault this time, you’ll have got away with something somewhere else so it all just balances out if we blame you for everything.

Bollix! :on_the_quiet:

Stewblack’s electric shocks, NOT ME! Sam’s smutty innuendos NOT ME! , Ricky’s dress sense CERTAINLY NOT ME!!!, my inability to pass a guitar shop without buying what Mrs S calls “another bloody bass” YOUR CHARACTER FLAWS ARE NOT MY DOING!

Brexit. DEF NOT ME!!! :o The 2008 financial crash NOPE. England’s inability to get close to the (men’s) football World Cup since 1966 HA! AS IF!!! THEY'VE NOT NEEDED MY ASSISTANCE TO BE RUBBISH! , that bloody awful Three Lions thing NAH, the git that shoved a trolley down the side of my car yesterday, the fact that I couldn’t sleep last night ERM...THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN ME...  smiley

Bollix bollix bollix smiley

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, 4000 said:

These would show if the earth in a socket is missing, which would be a valid test to try. so not knocking them, but not if the earth was there but of poorer conductivity than the one connected to your mic - so may not be a conclusive test. 

18 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

These would show if the earth in a socket is missing, which would be a valid test to try. so not knocking them, but not if the earth was there but of poorer conductivity than the one connected to your mic - so may not be a conclusive test. 

That's my main fear and hesitation (with recommending) them. A simple plug in device, on its own, won't be able to sense a poor earth. It would need a proper test to check the resistance of the earth path to true earth, by an electrician. I am not an electrician so I can't really comment too much, but an RCD would offer a degree of protection (it doesn't need an earth to function - it works by comparing the current difference of the live and neutral lines). And to offer some protection against a poor earth, you could use an isolating transformer + RCD - but really you shouldn't be plugging into and using such poor wiring in the first place.

28 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

Had an issue with shocks depping last year. Turns out they had one of those old desks where phantom power was either on every channel or no channel. They were using it to power overheads so was coming to my mic too. As soon as they turned it off the shocks stopped. Worth checking there's not anything sending 48v up your channel. 

Phantom power should not cause shocks in a microphone - even if it doesn't itself need the power. Sounds like some other issue, eg raised/poor earth as above.

48 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

Dood got it right in reply #2.

The likelihood is your PA being connected to a powerpoint somewhere in the room, and your bass cab to another, and there is potential difference between the two earths to the various equipment.  This could be due to shoddy earthing in the building, or your equipment. 

One quick way to stop it would be to remove the shield connection at one end of your (presumably balanced XLR) mic cable. Disconnecting this may make the mic noisier, but it will stop the mouth shocks.

I got a stage manager to do this once at a gig I was FOH engineer at just before the door opened and they let the audience in.  As people were rushing in.  The main guitarist (who had been getting the shock) was hidden from view, but through his extremely loud stage wedge I heard him say "Hey man, either that was a lucky guess or you're a f***ing genius..!"  

Or use a DI box with ground lift.

1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

Phantom power should not cause shocks in a microphone - even if it doesn't itself need the power. Sounds like some other issue, eg raised/poor earth as above.

Maybe but switching off phantom power certainly resolved the issue. 

1 hour ago, Count Bassy said:

Also, you mention using different amps etc, but is it always the same PA & Mic?

I was going to say different pa but you know what? I realise I've not gigged with my other bands for a while now, it might be the same pa. 

As to the nature of the shock I don't hang  around long when it happens, I tend instinctively to recoil. 

I can shock other people when it happens by the way. Just touch exposed flesh and Zap!