Why become a member? ×

Electric Shocks

stewblack

Can't seem to find the cause so I'm after suggestions. I get that classic sting when simultaneously touching microphone and bass strings. 

I get it with different basses, different amps, different effects, different extension leads, in different bands using different pa systems, in different venues. 

Sometimes it's sufficiently strong that I can shock my band mates if I touch them while holding my strings. 

Frankly I'm a bit fed up with it now. 

There is a "potential difference" (= voltage difference)  between the earth of your bass gear and your PA system. This could be caused by a bad earth, a wiring issue in the venue, being plugged in to two different ring mains and a few other issues too.

As some equipment (like effects units) have no earth connection, you are essentially not grounded and this can also help create the problem. Ideally each piece of gear should be 'grounded' to the same earth potential - pretty difficult to all have just one earth lead connected to the same earthing connection, but that would surely solve the problem! (Multiple points connected to earth in your signal path can cause noise problems too which is also a pain in the backside!)

Edited by Dood
Grammar!
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

Is anyone using DIY or made up extension leads? Anyone using an orange cable (ie 2 ply, or no earth)?

Buy a voltage/earth tester, about a tenner from Screwfix, and check every connection in the band.

Along with buying a mains safety trip plug....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vinny said:

Damn fine reason to buy a wireless!

Yup. Take yourself out of any kind of electrical circuit and avoid the problem. 

I did this after some rather painful shocks from microphones in a rehearsal studio years ago. I have been using a Line 6 G30 since and have been enjoying not being shocked and also the freedom of not having a cable tethering me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassman Sam said:

A lot of venues insist that you show them that your gear has a valid PAT test certificate.

Never been asked either. In fact many of the venues we play could do with their electrics checking! 

• Like 3

Ladies and genitals,

Have you ever heard about LifeSaver by Adrian Legg? Probably this issue has been discussed here in greater detail many times, but it is good to repeat it once more. Please study these:

http://forum.metropoulos.net/viewtopic.php?t=41069

http://alexplorer.net/guitar/mods/shock.html

This is a very good addition to any hi-Z ("passive") bass. It is even possible to reduce the circuitry by leaving the resistor out. Here is a suitable capacitor that fits well and costs nearly nothing:

https://uk.farnell.com/vishay/440ls10-r/cap-0-01-f-20/dp/2342196

This does not solve all zaps, but at least they will not be lethal.

• Like 1