Why become a member? ×

Ashdown built in effects

uk_lefty

I had a wedding gig last week and the stage was tiny. I usually use a Boss GT10B with amp modelling on and turn off the EQ on my Ashdown RM 500 head... However the stage was so small there was no room for my pedal. So for the first time in forever I played a gig with no effects pedal, unless you count the footswitch for the Ashdown! To tune I used a Boss Tuner app on my mobile phone. I set the Ashdown EQ as I like, engaged the compressor and cranked it up a lot, and had a two button footswitch to engage drive or sub whenever needed. Have to say I was very pleased with the sound and not faffing about trying to remember if my next favourite effect is on P03 button 2 or whatever else. The sheer simplicity was great, the sub effect can get quite synthy which is nice and the drive brings out some crunch and presence when needed. I like the simplicity of it all, and using amp emulators is really not going to make a difference to most except me anyway. 

The only thing I'd ask Ashdown for is LEDs on the footswitch to indicate whether I've left an effect on or not! Would be handy when you're not sure if you've hit the button well enough with your foot!

Anyone else using inbuilt effects on their amps? I'd always thought they'd be pants live but having used out of lack of choice I may well be using more often now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve found that I’ve been gigging my RM more and more recently. As well as the convenience it just sounds so good and has bags of power as well. Ok I use a preamp pedal for my eq/FOH sound but I still need to adjust eq for stage/whatever cab I’m going through and the RM just seems to have all the eq settings in the right place, makes it a doddle.

1 hour ago, Merton said:

I love the RM preamp, the drive is sublime and the 5 band EQ is dead easy to get any tone with. Great heads :)

If @Ashdown Engineering added a HPF ( say set to 40Hz)  the RM 800/500 would become the amp of choice for many Mesa Subway D800/  Fender Rumble 800HD users.  I'd certainly be first in the queue.!

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/07/2019 at 21:29, JohnDaBass said:

If @Ashdown Engineering added a HPF ( say set to 40Hz)  the RM 800/500 would become the amp of choice for many Mesa Subway D800/  Fender Rumble 800HD users.  I'd certainly be first in the queue.!

A thumpinator isn't really that big of a deal to add... especially if you are already rocking a pedal board.

@Tech21NYC dUg 1000 Ultrabass, footswitch controls clean channel, dirty channel and mix, as well as a mute.

Compression on the amp also, second hand clip on tuner

Job done

Forgot to add - 3 XLR’s out - mixed signal, or drive and clean channel separate so your sound man can have a field day

Edited by Cuzzie